Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I was just curious where y'all go for your parts. I have several little interior cosmetic components (trim pieces, bulbs, etc...) for my 2005 MDX. I've found most of the parts on eBay, but I didn't know if there were any other/better sites to check. With regards to small interior bulbs for switches and things like that, are there any sources for these sorts of things (hobby/electronics shop) aside from dealerships? It seems like they could be bought in bulk for much less than dealers want.

Thanks.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Ditto here for new and used parts. I’d add if you need an OEM part, also try the Honda version because they are usually cheaper. You can try the Acura PN but often you have to get a cross reference by calling a Honda dealer or looking it up on line. I’ve done this with head bolts, head gasket sets, cats, wiper blades, etc.

Depending on where you live, a pick-your-part yard is a pretty good source if you’re patient. Here in So Cal, there are many within 30 mins of OC. Depending on the yard, you can set up email alerts for years and car models. (I’ve noticed 1st Gens becoming more available). Over the years, it’s been a good source for trim pieces and body parts for various cars I’ve owned.

Though many first gens are pretty old, Car-part.com is also a good source. You can look up a car and part by state, region, then sort by distance, miles, cost, etc. When cars are fairly new, they’re a good source for low mileage parts. Or maybe you want a west coast part. I’ve purchased alts, starters, etc. It’s hit or miss but would recommend asking if they can lower the price if you contact them.

Have fun!

·
Registered
581 Posts
Be aware that Ebay and Amazon have a fairly high probability of knockoff Chinese parts. They simply don't have control over the supply chain because of hundreds of thousands of different sellers. RockAuto does have control of their supply chain and IMO they aren't stupid enough to risk selling non-authentic parts there. Of course they have their super cheap options there that probably are really crappy and if that's OK for a particular part then go for it. I just learned a long time ago not to go too cheap on certain things. There are several pretty good dealers like Bernardi (Honda or Acura) that sell genuine OEM parts at a pretty decent discount if that's the only choice. As for used parts LKQ is one of the best sources IMO and they sell from their own website or on Ebay.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Advanced auto part is also a source. If you purchase it online, you might find some coupon code to applied as well.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Advanced auto part is also a source. If you purchase it online, you might find some coupon code to applied as well.
I will use any of the major chain parts houses as needed, but have found that certain parts like wheel bearings, alternators, etc., by an unknown name brand or house brand are so cheap they have a high failure rate right out of the box. They do often have better quality parts available, just not as attractive price as RockAuto, so unless I absolutely need it today I avoid the major chains. One exception is Napa. They are less retail oriented and focus on supplying local repair shops that provide full parts & labor warranty with their repairs, so the parts quality is typically better. Napa is still a secondary choice due to price disadvantage, unless I really need it right now.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I do most of my buying from rockauto - I like the fact that they almost always offer many different options - from highly reputable suppliers, as well as "low price options". Yeah, I'm not going to spring for an el cheapo option for a timing belt kit, but might roll the dice on a windshield washer pump. I also have had good luck buying the "OEM only" parts used from eBay. Sometimes that's a higher priced way to go than schlepping down to your local men's mall (aka "junkyard") but it's almost always a lot easier and less aggravating (junkyards can be "interesting places" to do business, at least around here).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts