Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 2011 and need to get cross bars and a cargo tube. Anyone have good or bad luck with Thule or Yakima?

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I have a yakima Rocketbox Pro 14 for about 3 years and have zero complaints using it with OEM roof rack. It opens from both sides of the vehicle, light enough for me put put on without help, no issues with dust/water in all types of weather, and pretty stable at 80-85 mph on hwy. It is long enough to put cross country skis or sports umbrellas and the overall vehicle height is about 6'11" on my MDX Adv so I'm able to drive into my 7 foot garage door opening.

The only disadvantages are:
- too tall for my 4'11" wife to do anything but look at it when on the MDX
- doesn't like cross winds because it acts like a sail
- you feel the box when passing 18-wheelers
- always having to be aware of height restrictions, have call ahead to check for parking garage height restrictions
- slight hit on mpgs, mpgs suck anyways on the X

I also have an OEM trailer hitch/harness and I purchased the Stowaway2 Max with swing away feature a few months ago. A little more expensive; but, no mpg/height/wind/access restrictions for the wife like with the roof box. I ended up using both when I drove to FL from NM last month. The only disadvantage with the hitch carrier is I can't take longer items like large sports umbrellas or skis unless I take the roof box also.

·
Registered
336 Posts
We have a Yakima box (sorry, don't remember the model number) that I bought when we had our Saab wagon. It's several years old and still looks like new. Couldn't be happier with it. It's a longer box like the poster above so it can fit skis or whatever. It's super easy to put on and very stable. It does make some noise when on the car and is a hit to the mpgs, as stated above. I have to keep the sun roof shade closed to help keep the wind noise down. My only complaint is that the MDX roof is raked back so the long box points into the air a little, making is less aerodynamic.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
THANKS!!! Do you know what the total height of the car is now w/ the box on it? I can't seem to find anywhere on the ole information superhighway that will give me that calculation. Seems like a miss on the box manufactures part.

I have a yakima Rocketbox Pro 14 for about 3 years and have zero complaints using it with OEM roof rack. It opens from both sides of the vehicle, light enough for me put put on without help, no issues with dust/water in all types of weather, and pretty stable at 80-85 mph on hwy. It is long enough to put cross country skis or sports umbrellas and the overall vehicle height is about 6'11" on my MDX Adv so I'm able to drive into my 7 foot garage door opening.

The only disadvantages are:
- too tall for my 4'11" wife to do anything but look at it when on the MDX
- doesn't like cross winds because it acts like a sail
- you feel the box when passing 18-wheelers
- always having to be aware of height restrictions, have call ahead to check for parking garage height restrictions
- slight hit on mpgs, mpgs suck anyways on the X

I also have an OEM trailer hitch/harness and I purchased the Stowaway2 Max with swing away feature a few months ago. A little more expensive; but, no mpg/height/wind/access restrictions for the wife like with the roof box. I ended up using both when I drove to FL from NM last month. The only disadvantage with the hitch carrier is I can't take longer items like large sports umbrellas or skis unless I take the roof box also.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
THANKS!!! Do you know what the total height of the car is now w/ the box on it? I can't seem to find anywhere on the ole information superhighway that will give me that calculation. Seems like a miss on the box manufactures part.
I'm a idiot...just read your entire post.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I like OEM roof rails because they blend in the best for the MDX. You can go aftermarket; but, those look aftermarket sometimes. Either way, the weight limit for the MDX roof is 165lbs. Some of the aftermarket system might be able to handle more weight. I don't like having that much weight on the roof if I can help it (another advantage with the cargo box/tray).

Depending on what you need the extra storage for; you can do an aftermarket hitch (without harness), cargo tray, and cargo bag for about 1/3 to 1/2 price of a roof rack+cargo box. You might be able to put 200 to 350 lbs on cargo tray depending on how many folks/stuff are in the MDX.

·
Registered
798 Posts
For me it's too difficult to put anything up on the roof of most SUV's. I'm actually surprised that roof racks come(standard or not) on so many SUV's these days. I rarely see anyone carry anything on top of theirs around here at least. Mine came with roof rails but thinking of deleting them. The cargo box seems like a better idea and doesn't mess up the aero too much for highway trips as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts