·
Registered
2,457 Posts
From the most powerful to ideal.
1.- OSRAM CBI
2.- MORIMOTO XB35
3.- OSRAM Nightbreaker

5.- OEM.
100% agree with 1 and 2 as the best choices for the MDX!

I tried the OSRAM Nightbreakers because they sounded pretty good on paper. I already went from OEM to OSRAM CBI a few months earlier. I figured the 30 day Amazon return feature would give me plenty of time to test them out (if I liked them, I could move the OSRAM CBI to my RDX or TSX). I didn't like the Nightbreakers at all. They were just a little brighter compared to OEM in color temp, width, and range. Nightbreakers were too much $$ for only a 10%-15% increase compared to OEM. I've since gone OSRAM CBI in my MDX and RDX.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks alot about the OSRAM night breakers information because they do look good on paper and they are pricey indeed.

So it seems to me that the OSRAM CBI is the best choice. Do they come in one color temperature or more than one and do you buy from Amazon?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I did buy OSRAM Nightbreaker for $100 on Amazon and recently installed them. I'm pretty happy with them, because they are almost identical to OEM in terms of the colour temperature (4300-4700K), but they are noticeably brighter than OEM (which is understandable considering my OEM bulbs were 10 years old).

I didn't want to go with CBIs, because I completely despise the cool bluish tint (6000K, yikes!) for low beams in general and I would definitely not want them on my car, but that's just a matter of preference, of course. If I can get another 10 years from these bulbs just as I did from the OEM ones, that'd be great!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One thing worth noting here,

there are

1. OSRAM Nightbreakers
2. OSRAM Nightbreakers Laser

The laser seem to be a newer version has anyone tried those?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Looks like lasers are 1.5x more expensive and it's the next generation providing much more light output. I guess these are worth the price difference if they perform the way they advertise. I wonder if there are tests on youtube.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I did buy OSRAM Nightbreaker for $100 on Amazon and recently installed them. I'm pretty happy with them, because they are almost identical to OEM in terms of the colour temperature (4300-4700K), but they are noticeably brighter than OEM (which is understandable considering my OEM bulbs were 10 years old).

I didn't want to go with CBIs, because I completely despise the cool bluish tint (6000K, yikes!) for low beams in general and I would definitely not want them on my car, but that's just a matter of preference, of course. If I can get another 10 years from these bulbs just as I did from the OEM ones, that'd be great!
I did the OSRAM CBI cool blue intense Xenarc for my MDX in 2015 and RDX in 2016. The 2015 set came in at 5000K-5500K and the 2016 were up to 6000K. I notice the OEM 4300K-4500K leaned more yellow like early morning/late evening like a warm white light. I noticed the 5000k-5500K looks the brightest, longest range, widest beam width, and provide illumination the same as high noon is summer with zero clouds in the sky. The 5500k- 6000K will start to look more blue-ish as you look at it; but, will still look pure white on the road. Depending on the projectors, you will start to drop in illumination, range, and width as you go below 4300K or above 6000K.

5000K-6000K OSRAM CBI or XB35 would give you max illumination since 5500K is about the color temp of the sun at noon. 4300K-4500K used to be the norm for OEM HIDS; but, I'm really starting to see 5500K-6000K being the norm for LED and HIDs for all new vehicles.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Thanks I just ordered a set of the CBI's from Amazon.

Are we sure these are originals and not counterfeits? Amazon is shipping counterfeits in some areas lately.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How can I be sure? I trust that Amazon isn't selling counterfeits. Is there a way to know when I receive them?

·
Registered
354 Posts
How can I be sure? I trust that Amazon isn't selling counterfeits. Is there a way to know when I receive them?
Sometimes it is hard to tell other times is easy. But, yes, I have received counterfeits from Amazon in many things. I have Amazon Prime, so I order regularly and give them a lot of my money. Early this year, I talked to a lady at a small Amazon shop in a mall in D.C. and the lady told me Amazon is aware the counterfeits issue is damaging their reputation. How much is Amazon doing to clean out from their stock and prevent it, it is uncertain.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I want to give the CBB a try but haven't had time yet. Check out this video below:

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZMQmL6aCRIg" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen="" width="940" height="350" frameborder="0"></iframe>

1 - 20 of 21 Posts