Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '04 touring sage brush Pearl with absolutely no options or accessories on it other than mud flaps. What is your favorite OEM accessory that you want or have on your mdx. Acura made a lot of accessories for the MDX so I'm just looking for some ideas. I haven't seen much about accessories on the forum so why not try to get some opinions!

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I think nice wheels and wider tires are the best way to make a car better. I'm not a fan of huge rims with low profile tires on an SUV though, since it drastically reduces ride quality and it's still gonna handle like an SUV. ;-) Here's a photo of mine as I bought it, with Enke 18" wheels (which still make the ride a little stiffer / noisier, but it's a good trade-off, IMHO). I've since replaced the noisy tires that were on it with some much quieter Nitto NT421Q 255/55/18 tires.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree that aftermarket wheels look nice. But it's just too many incidentals that I think go along with that, like you mentioned, stiffer ride, but also things like wheel clearance, speedo and mileage reading innacuracies and so forth if the wheel tire combo is overall bigger than the original ie: bigger rim and bigger profile tire would almost certainly produce those problems

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think these trucks look so much better with accessories! My 05 Touring has most of the OEM accessories installed. Trunk spoiler, Fender flares, belt mouldings, Chrome side steps, mud flaps and even the backup sensors. The only non OEM accessory is the AVS window visors.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
When you spec bigger wheels, you just have to make sure that the outside diameter of the tires you install is the same as the stock tires. It's not that hard to do - all the information you need is in the tire designation. For example, my 255/55/18 tires' outside diameter can be figured by adding the rim size (18") to double the height of the sidewalls (255mm times 0.55). 1" equals 25.4mm, so my tires are 10" wide, so they sidewalls are 5.5" tall, for a total height of 18" plus 11", or 29".

The stock tires are 235/65-17, so it's 17" plus 235mm times 0.65, which comes out to a total height of 29.02". Dead on, and easy to calculate.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I thought my 05 really looked good with fender flares, body side molding, and trunk spoiler. Really beefed up the looks of the vehicle. The downside is that it may be hard to match new paint on these accessories with the aged paint on the vehicle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wheels and tires are a nice addition the the mdx i have 255/50/19 Michelin latitudes tires with chrome TSW's they look good, the ride isn't different

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes I was also concerned about paint fading and such, Greg who installed your backup sensors and what kind of tone or chime is it? I was interested in them and was looking to have my mechanic attempt to install them, where are they located? On the plastic part of bumper or painted upper part

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes I was also concerned about paint fading and such, Greg who installed your backup sensors and what kind of tone or chime is it? I was interested in them and was looking to have my mechanic attempt to install them, where are they located? On the plastic part of bumper or painted upper part
The dealer installed them when the truck was new. I find them kind of annoying so I keep them turned off. There are 4 of them and they are painted to match the body color. They are on the painted center portion of the bumper.

Regarding paint match. I just installed that trunk spoiler a few weeks ago. It is an OEM part, factory painted, not aftermarket. The paint match is 100% perfect.

·
Registered
132 Posts
You're going to get many opinions here as I didn't want many accessories on my MDX. I think absolute musts though are a rear spoiler and wheels. It's ridiculous that the Touring came with 17" wheels.

And I've been in mud, snow, sand, etc. with my 19s and I appreciated the wider 255 series tire (also at 255/50/19). Ride quality loss is negligible in an SUV; that's why so many SUVs have aftermarkets. If anything, I like the ride better :cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts