Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*** Pirelli Scorpion Verde Plus v-rated*** on 19inch 2012 MDX Advance

Looking for other input on new tire reccos for the MDX with the magnetic suspension ONLY. I recently upgraded my 2007 MDX for 2012 MDX Advance which has the larger 19 inch rim versus 18 and the new model has the magnetic suspension which changes the ride feel considerably!

Really I had my 2007 for 6 years and this 2012 is a very different feeling car AND feels as though my old tire choices are less relevant given the suspension, rims, and lower tire profile. Also, if you have had your MDX or Honda for a few tire changes you likely know that road noise can be a real issue!

Currently it is riding on Michelin Latitude Tour HPs h-rated but I am not a fan of these tires on both this vehicle and the 2007. Nothing particularly wrong with them - they are at least quiet - but nothing particularly great either.

Requirement is for a high performance all season. Need some snow grip for mountain ski trips. I don't care about tread life. Leaning towards V-rated BUT some concern they might be too stiff given the suspension / 19 inch rim / profile.

Conti seem highly recommended by many but Consumer Reports seems to give them low ratings in the snow. Tirerack seems to suggest similar issues which might explain why the compound seems to work so well otherwise.

Pirelli Scorpion Verde Plus seems like a possibly all around solid choice. I have had great experience with Pirelli in the past excepting poor tread life which I don't really care about as I will change my tires anyway.

Newer Michelin Premier LTX is also highly rated BUT again geared towards rain and wear. Consumer Reports even had an interesting test article on this new technology where they showed it having mediocre breaking in the dry (new or worn) but then outperformed everything in the rain. So again a dilemma!

·
Registered
700 Posts
Newer Michelin Premier LTX is also highly rated BUT again geared towards rain and wear. Consumer Reports even had an interesting test article on this new technology where they showed it having mediocre breaking in the dry (new or worn) but then outperformed everything in the rain. So again a dilemma!
I have a 2011 Advance, I put on Michelin Premiere LTX a little over 3 weeks ago. I am not sure what standard Consumer Reports testings are, but this tires stop instantly driving 35-40MPH on dry road. I was driving 35-40MPH with 4 occupants, 5 including me. A car was backing out of the driveway without looking, I stepped on the brake and the MDX stopped instantly...stopped like the Michelin's video ad. I was in awe.

The rubber compound on these tires are very soft. They absorb road imperfection very well. The ride is soft and comfortable even on Sport mode. In Comfort mode, the ride is excellent. However, aggressive cornering is mediocre. The car is leaning too much even on sport mode doing 40-45 MPH in a rotary. High road noise in the first 1000 miles. I'm sure these tires will be superb in light snow. These tires come with only 8/32nd thread depth.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just put on the Pirelli's on my Advance and made a 5 hour trip up to Chicago and back. I was very pleased with turn in and how quiet they were (yes most new tires are) but on the rough pavement, they were very tolerable, something my Latitudes never were.

·
Registered
2 Posts
How about Nokian tires on the MDX? I have them on a Tundra truck and Highlander and they are the best tires I've ever had. My son put them on a Pilot and a friend on his Armada and everyone agrees they are the best tires they ever had on a vehicle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts