Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I noticed it takes two shifts to get my 2010 up to 60 mph under WOT? Is this right?

The shift into third seems to happen around 56 mph. From a performance standpoint that seems less than ideal. Also this is in D mode. Does S mode improve WOT acceleration performance?

Also what is the best way to come off the line? Do you brake torque or just flat foot it? Can you hold the paddles or is there a launch control?

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
According to C&D specs, max speed in 2nd is 63mph. Surely you'd have to use the S mode and paddles to do it.

Many vehicles that have moved to 8/9 speeds require two shifts to hit 60.

I'm not generally into racing behemoths like the MDX, but in general this thing feel much slower than it's rated power. Most of that is the hideous shifting transmission. I tried timing it to 60 a couple times and brake torquing in S-mode was the only way to get anywhere near the mid 6 seconds that most claim. Just flooring without brake torquing only rang up mid 7's if I recall. So if you don't mind driving like you're at the drag strip, this thing has somewhat respectable acceleration.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Brake Launch it for the best 0 to 60 obviously don't do that many times in a row (Your Torque Converter won't like it at all).

It will need two gears for sure... My 5 Speedo 1st only gets me close to 40mph. My best so far has been low 7s with brake launch.. Normal WOT from zero will yield around 7 highs closer to 8s that much difference is with Brake Launch the 3.7L has mediocre Torque in the low end, Acura tuned it for the High RPM that is why past 3500RPM the MDX feels like a whole different animal. Brake Launch it till 2500RPM and marvel at the almost 1 second difference Vs Idle Launch.

Reactions: Saltymdx

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So should I leave it in second gear. The first video shows the x hiting 60 just as it shifts into third. My 2010 is more like the last video. It shifts just before 60. I think the max rpm is around 6400.

So I think the way to go is to engage s-mode, move the paddle to engage 1st. Brake torque it to 2500rpms (will it actually rev that high?). Let off the brake at wot. It will shift out of first automatically, then I let it go to the limiter in 2nd.

That should be the fastest it will go, right? The goal would be a low 7 sec pass...

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
I don't remember the exact rpm I launched from but it was around 2,500. It chirped a couple of the tires and I could smell something "clutchy". Wasn't sure if it was trans or the center diff. If it wasn't mine I'd probably try for 3k which is about where this engine starts to make some decent power.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts