Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all... thought you might like to see what causes the dreaded "after starting screech" in our MDXs... I took mine out during a valve adjustment (since some of what's in the way is already out). It's not a big job - I didn't have to remove the battery or any hoses, just get it loose and then wiggle it around to get to the nuts holding the cables on.

https://youtu.be/intQLathtYc

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thanks for posting. How much grease did you use? Just sort of finger-coat all the moving parts? I'm planning to lube the starter on ours in a few more weeks, when I will also change out the radiator.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried to keep the amount of grease "reasonable" (check out the two photos at the end of the video - they show the starter as it was greased and ready to go back in the car). I've seen some who pack the entire bendix compartment full - I think that's likely to cause more problems, since it could actually cause a "hydraulic lock" that might keep the bendix gear engaged, especially extra grease at the base of the shaft (toward the motor). I saw this happen when I first applied a big dollop of grease to that area. I slathered enough grease on the shaft and gears to allow for it to re-distribute itself as the months go by... figuring that there's enough to provide the necessary (a few molecules thick) layer of lubrication on the bendix shaft and gear. Yeah, eventually it might all get displaced anyway and I'll be pulling it out again, but I'm not too worried since it's not a huge job to pull and lube it again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts