Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Been dubbed to change oil every 3k miles!!

2K views 22 replies 5 participants last post by  skinny2 
#1 ·
Now I am changing every 7k mile with synthetic 5w-30 EP. I had been flushed out good oil since since I have known how to drive a car!

Just ignore the MID and change your oil every 7k with synthetic!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Discussion starter · #4 ·
Your MID is telling you to change the oil every 3k miles? You must do a tremendous amount of idling or heavy traffic to see that. Mine usually comes up between 7k-9k miles but I'm mostly highway. If you're doing very heavy city driving, I'd probably do an oil analysis before defaulting to 7k miles even if it is synthetic. Worth the $30 to know you're getting it right.

I use my car to do Uber and put around 110 mile/day and 6-7 days/wk. Basically the car asked me to change oil every 30 days!
Ok. I will send a sample out for analysis around 7k. Thank for the advice.

Discussion starter · #6 ·
Can you give me the name of the lab that do the oil analysis? Thanks

Had anyone take apart OEM oil filter after 3k, 6k or 10k miles to see how dirty the inside? I am planning to take apart the OEM oil filter after 7k mile. I think it is very important to know how dirty inside the oil filter is. If the oil filter clogged up with sludge than it does not matter what the oil life expectancy is.

Discussion starter · #12 ·
Thanks!

I think is am going to do this. I plan to change oil every 7k with mobile 5w-30 extended protection using acura oil filter. Is it best to change oil filter at mid point(3.5k miles) and top off the oil and at 7k change out the oil and filter? Thanks

Discussion starter · #14 ·
I've gone with using Mobil 1 5w-20 High Mileage or Mobil 1 5w-20 depending on what Walmart has at the time. I just use the Acura oil filter when the M.I.D. alerts me when service is due at 15% - 5% I can then see if any 1-6 service codes are also displayed and take care of them at the same time. You might miss the 1-6 service codes if you change the oil yourself and reset the indicator before the 15% M.I.D. alert.

I waited until 0% to reset

Discussion starter · #22 ·
I use blackstone-labs.com for analysis. They'll send you a free kit for collecting a sample and returning. I use synthetic and usually an OEM filter. MID usually hits 0% for me around 10k miles (use is heavily geared toward long highway trips). Analysis shows that's very conservative and that 12k miles is easily possible but I usually just stick to the MID to make it simple. No reason you can't extend intervals with synthetic, but I think it's important to have some science behind it. If your engine isn't healthy, going to a random longer interval could cause a lot of damage in a hurry.

You get around 10k and your MID said 0%? What is your driving style?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.