Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
In my opinion a car that is a good subject for customization is one that has aftermarket parts available.
So going the easy way getting something that many people already have.
I much more prefer something special, unusual, providing the basic potential is there.. ;):cool:

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
And that is the difference between modding here in the US vs internationally, especially in Russia and Japan. We have a mostly off the shelf type community, while internationally i see a lot of personal flair and unique mods. We do have a rather expensive fabrication industry here, so that could be one hinderence.

Sigh i still want a BBK kit along with better suspension options (like even a koni insert yanno?).

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
148 Posts
So going the easy way getting something that many people already have.
I much more prefer something special, unusual, providing the basic potential is there.. ;):cool:
Absolutely not. I'd never beta test something for my vehicle. It better be tried and true.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Absolutely not. I'd never beta test something for my vehicle. It better be tried and true.
No car is ever fully to my taste/ wishes.
I have done quite some mods to my '98 NSX-T too..
Even though for most people it will be more than enough, after some time I got used to it, and realised it could be improved as I wanted better roadholding and performance.
So I put on several factory Honda race department available upgrades such as new type-s suspension, typs-S and R swaybars, Type-R chassis braces, sports brakepads, Type-R rear spoiler, upgraded wheels/tires/ upgraded manifolds/ exhaust, intake and a supercharger... NOW it is real fun!!

In the NSX community, loads of owners are putting mods on that basically already high-end supercar, confirming that any car however good or special, can be improved on..

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
As the Black friday sale is still on, and in anticipation on the new roadholding setup, I just ordered new brakes too.
The R1 concepts Front Premier Carbon Geomet Cross-Drilled Brake Rotors Disc & Ceramic Brake Pads.... that I put on the car about 15 K Mls ago (as the OE front discs were already warped when I bought the car with 34K Mls, quite common I have read) has been giving hot judder braking for quite some time, so needed to be replaced too.

I decided on a full kit of:
Powerstop front and rear brakes PWR-K6956-36
Brake Rotor and Pad Combo, Z36 Truck and Tow, Front/Rear, Cross-drilled/Slotted, Zinc Dichromate Plated, Carbon Fiber Ceramic Pads, for use on Acura®
(Mfr. #: K6956-36)
As this is a truck and tow setup, it should hold up better to high brake temps..
Let's see if this setup will stay straight...
MDX powerstop-k6956-36 is Rear K6953-36 en Front K6957-36.jpg

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Wonder how much a custom caliper bracket would cost to put on some brembos up front too with 330mm+ rotors. The sport hybrids already use a 330mm setup up front so i was going to look into parts that could be swapped to go to that setup.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
Unless you plan to do track racing or extremely spirited driving, a big brake kit usually is a very expensive overkill, very often also done because it looks so good..;)
In my experience, the most OE size brakesystems will be able to cope by just upgrading to better quality rotors and/or high friction cöeficiënt and higher temp resistant brake pads.
On my NSX even with the supercharger now putting out over 400Bhp and on full blast on a track event the OE rotors with upgraded racing brakefluid, steel braided brake lines and EBC yellowstuff brakepads have no problems, I feel no need to put a bigger system on.
On my track Miata the OE system is regulation prescribed and used with racing brake fluid, steel braided brakelines at first EBC Yellowstuff, now changed to Hawk brake pads can cope with full competition racing with no problem. Over the time of a full track season, pads have to be changed once or twice and rotors once because of wear or incidentally pads cracking due to overheating, but no braking problems or warping. However, that is a dedicated built track car, so about 70 Kg of weight has been stripped out, making quite a difference for the brakes on this already light car.
Coming to think of it.. perhaps steel braided brakelines may be something to consider putting on my MDX, as that will make brake feel a lot firmer as all flex in the rubber brakelines will be taken out..

·
Registered
148 Posts
No car is ever fully to my taste/ wishes.
I have done quite some mods to my '98 NSX-T too..
Even though for most people it will be more than enough, after some time I got used to it, and realised it could be improved as I wanted better roadholding and performance.
So I put on several factory Honda race department available upgrades such as new type-s suspension, typs-S and R swaybars, Type-R chassis braces, sports brakepads, Type-R rear spoiler, upgraded wheels/tires/ upgraded manifolds/ exhaust, intake and a supercharger... NOW it is real fun!!

In the NSX community, loads of owners are putting mods on that basically already high-end supercar, confirming that any car however good or special, can be improved on..
I'm not debating that there is room for improvement, I've modded every car I've owned. However, there had better be a support community and off the shelf components.

·
Registered
86 Posts
MDX is not the vehicle for aftermarket customization.
I have the MDX's counterpart, the Gen 1 Honda Ridgeline. It is outfitted with KW V3 suspension and Rotora's 6p & 4p kit with 355mm rotors.
Many would think it is counter productive to lower a pickup truck and install larger performance braking kit as it is not a sporty/sports car. Moreover, it has, as of two weeks ago, 230K miles on it.
Contrary to popular sentiments, it is an indication of how much I love the vehicle in the last 9 years I have bought it new and used it. Upgrades, and updates are varied among folks and just because the vehicle is not a traditional sports car, does not mean it shouldn't be tastefully customized.

However, I will say that going with cheaper components, just to brag about having 'something' is taking a huge risk. Companies such as Ceika, who are infiltrating the market as we speak, are untested for long term reliability and thus do pose a huge concern for long term reliability and safety.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts