Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I finished installing BC coilovers on my MDX.

Reason for this is that even though in general I really do like the MDX, I don't like the wobbly suspension and soft leaning cornering of the car.

I must say that first impressions with the BC kit is very positive.
It was a pain to get the old struts out of the car, installing was a lot easier as the BC units ar a lot smaller and shorter.
I set the ridehight as high as possible, didn't want to lower too much, ended up with lowering the car 1 1/4 inch all round from standard hight, looks good.

The units came with factory set dampening at 8 of 30 clicks from full hard which seemed a bit too much for my taste, so I changed the setting to 15 clicks from full hard to try out.
I still have to figure out how to get to the adjustment of the rears after the install, but for now I am trying out how it is at this setting.

First impressions are really good:
- now the suspension is a lot firmer, not wobbly anymore
- still reasonably comfortable, not annoyingly hard
- cornering is way better, it goes through corners almost like a good sports sedan, really what I was looking for.
Handling overall is very much improved.

So first impressions are really positive, this was what I was looking for in way of better handling without sacrificing too much comfort.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
yikes, 1.25" lower? The MDX is too low, already, imo.

Do you have pictures you can share?

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Do you happen to know what the service period is on these BC COs? I'm tempted to switch when these struts wear out or somewhere around 60k miles but prior experience with COs is that the service requirements is sometimes pretty frequent and the cost associated (~$500) made them kind of more hassle than benefit for just DDing. Also, did pgeorg get you the info about the adjustment extenders?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BC factory warranty against manufacturing defects is just 1 year, so not very long.
But hey, choice is very limited, as there are just 2 manufacturers making kits for the G3 MDX: BC and Megan, which seems to have less good reviews than BC..

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, I don't like clearly lowered cars either (those where part of the tires are in the wheelwells).
This is why I set the coilovers as high as possible, but that still meant a 1 1/4" drop (I think with this kit you could drop the car 3-4 inches if you wanted to, not my thing..).

However, as the wheelwell gaps above the tyres were quite big to start with, this means that even in the 1 1/4 " lowered stance a gap between wheelwells and tires remains, not giving the obvious lowered look.

Stance as is now, looks good and acceptable for me and ofcourse the lowering means lower gravity point, thus better cornering just as result of the lowering..
And the sportier characteristics of the BC shocks and springs adding a lot more cornering sharpness to this.

A few fast not so good pics
Hight like this is nice I think, but I wouldn't want it lowered more..

Pic 1 is OE hight
Pic2-4 is with BC
Pic 5 is comparison BC-OE front strut

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
looks very nice, i am also considering going with BC coilovers, as the ride is to wobbly and soft. by the way what spring choice did you go with, if i'm not mistaken they also offer swift springs as an option which was bit more stiff.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
looks very nice, i am also considering going with BC coilovers, as the ride is to wobbly and soft. by the way what spring choice did you go with, if i'm not mistaken they also offer swift springs as an option which was bit more stiff.
Keep in mind that I am in Europe, where the MDX was never sold.

I went with the standard BC setup.
I felt it was already expensive enough, as the MDX is just one of several cars that I have and everything for the MDX has to be shipped here as nothing is available, adding import taxes and shipping cost to everything

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Am sorry to say that I am in discussion with BC about the kit, as the coilovers are making thumping/cloncking sounds (is that correct Englisch?) on all 4 corners when driving on uneven pavement, over the last 2 months this is getting worse.

Ofcourse BC are quick to respond that there must be either a installation error made by me, or stabaliser rubbers/ endlinks must be worn/ making the noises.
I checked, and everything is tight, no play to be found in these parts and as before installing there were no noises with the OE parts, also not very likely.

As I wanted to make sure of myself, I had my race mechanic who is a highly experienced allround mechanic check things and he concluded the same: everything installed correctly and no worn rubbers/ endlinks parts and no play..

He performed a small by hand test of the coilovers on the car by lifting the wheels about 2" off the ground, having them hang free, put a breakerbar between the lift plate and underside of the tire and moved the bar up and down to see how the the wheel/ suspension would resist/ dampen the movement.

It turned out that he could quite easily make the wheel/coilover jump up and down about an inch without seeing the shock dampening this movement and without the car itself moving much.
He told me in his opinion this was strange/ unusual, the coilover should not be pressed in so easily and not move out without any visible resistance/ dampening by the shockabsorber.
He thinks something may be wrong with the short dampening capabilities of the shocks, possibly having the wheels jump on uneven pavement due to a lack of short dampening, thus causing the cloncking/thumping sounds.

At the moment BC seems to be closed for holidays,.... to be continued......, but I will not keep the coilovers on the car like this, the car now sounds like a very old car with worn suspension on uneven roads

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yep, I don't like clearly lowered cars either (those where part of the tires are in the wheelwells).
This is why I set the coilovers as high as possible, but that still meant a 1 1/4" drop (I think with this kit you could drop the car 3-4 inches if you wanted to, not my thing..).

However, as the wheelwell gaps above the tyres were quite big to start with, this means that even in the 1 1/4 " lowered stance a gap between wheelwells and tires remains, not giving the obvious lowered look.

Stance as is now, looks good and acceptable for me and ofcourse the lowering means lower gravity point, thus better cornering just as result of the lowering..
And the sportier characteristics of the BC shocks and springs adding a lot more cornering sharpness to this.

A few fast not so good pics
Hight like this is nice I think, but I wouldn't want it lowered more..

Pic 1 is OE hight
Pic2-4 is with BC
Pic 5 is comparison BC-OE front strut
I have a few installation questions, can you help me? My whatsapp +7 964 106 95 95

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
What came of this?

I am in a conversation with BC Racing about R&D for a different vehicle and your issue has me concerned. Please update.

·
Registered
6 Posts
In general, I did not get any help from the owner of the topic, and the answers, as a result, I had to do everything myself.
I managed to completely install the entire suspension from the manufacturer of BC Racing, I’m not very happy with the support of BC Racing, because they don’t even have instructions on installing our cars, so don’t wait for help from them! they are simply silent!
As a result, the suspension is installed, there are no rolls, I made adjustment at the back of 5 turns in front of 5 turns, I am satisfied, now it’s not going at all like on rails 220 kilometers per hour This suspension is 1000 times better than the original!
Concluded for myself that you need to put pneuma to adjust the clearance, in general, I am very satisfied!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
In general, I did not get any help from the owner of the topic, and the answers, as a result, I had to do everything myself.

I managed to completely install the entire suspension from the manufacturer of BC Racing, I’m not very happy with the support of BC Racing, because they don’t even have instructions on installing our cars, so don’t wait for help from them! they are simply silent!

As a result, the suspension is installed, there are no rolls, I made adjustment at the back of 5 turns in front of 5 turns, I am satisfied, now it’s not going at all like on rails 220 kilometers per hour This suspension is 1000 times better than the original!

Concluded for myself that you need to put pneuma to adjust the clearance, in general, I am very satisfied!
But wait.. i need to know about the bbk!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
86 Posts
@DreamFlagship Who did you deal with at BC Racing to get the kit, or did you just order it on their website? My contact for R&D at BC Racing has been very timely in his correspondence with me, but I am still trying to get some answers and feedback from my online community.
@neoshi: Looking at the URL on the rotor hat, it is a Russian based manufacturer https://hp-brakes.ru/katalog/honda-acura-katalog/. Unfortunately I do not see anything else coming up on google. Their calipers do look like forged monoblock units w/ external cross over tubes and the rotors are 2-piece Floating with sizes ranging from 330mm to 405mm. Price for a kit seems to be under a $1000 USD, at least what I can see from their 'translated' pricing structure. As far as quality, only the @DreamFlagship can attest to it as their website is hard to navigate with it translated.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I apologize not getting in contact with you on this, have had some health issues that got priority.
Glad you got things installed and are happy with it.

I do think the install is self- directing, and relatively easy, you just need to have the right tools, like one or 2 good workshop jacks, jack stands, spring compressors, regular hand tools like a socket set, a torquewrench, etc.
A torque list would have been nice, as with the install, I had to guess, based on experience with fastening torques for these parts on other cars.

On my MDX the BC's were nice at first impression, cornering and roadholding clearly improved, but soon problems arose.

Like I already wrote, all four struts quite quickly started to make clonking noises on uneven roads/ pot holes which the OE struts didn't do.

Also when steering at max angle to get into my driveway, then straigthening the steering and driving back a bit, the fronts make a noise like the coilsprings are resettling themselves: "ploink"-"ploink"....
As if on turning in when the struts rotate a bit, the tops cannot move, coiling up the springs on the turn-in and releasing when turning back.
Sounds really bad and clearly something is not right.
This made me check everything AGAIN, if something was loose but all is tight and nothing to see.

Also over the last 2 months, the dampening on uneven roads has decreased, the car is increasingly jumpy and wobbly, not nice anymore!

BC will not do anything with my complaints, even though I made a demo drive with the selling dealer to let him hear the clonking and he agreed this wasn't normal, BC insists that they want a rebound test performed on the shocks before they will think on doing anything.

The only way to do this is to take everything off, send it to a testing facility, wait what the outcome is and then if BC will agree something IS wrong, they would need to send a new kit, which with shipping to me in Europe will take at least 2-3 weeks.
So my daily driver would be on stands for at least 4-6 weeks to do all this, NOT an option!

The selling dealer was embaressed too by the way BC acts on this.. (NOT) and after some discussion they agreed to either take back the BC kit at their own risk with full payback, or order me a Megan Racing kit, so I descided to have them order the Megan kit.

This does mean that I will have extra cost for a more expensive Megan kit (as here in Europe, due to shipping and import from the US, the Megan set is 300 Euro/ 335 Usd more expensive) + I will have to do a complete disassembly/install once again, so at least 4-6 hours work (in a workshop this would have set me back at least 400 Euro/ 450 Usd) but I can do it myself AND I will need to have alignment done again, another 80 Euro/ 90 USd.

It is really a shame that the G3 MDX is such a unknown car in the aftermarket scene.
Had it been a G2, I could have gotten a KW setup which is undoubtedly in another league, both build quality and performance, but for the G3 nothing is available except BC and Megan.

I will now have to see what the Megan setup will do.
It has arrived and I hope to install it within a week from now.

I however will now advise everyone to stay away from BC if there is any other option available, as their aftersales and service sucks if there is a problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
instructions of Installation of coilovers plz

Can u guys tell me how u got off the front struts. I am currently trying to put on some megan coils but I am getting a difficult time getting off the oem front struts. plz help .thank you. WhatsApp 3409984999.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts