Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This happened to me today. I took a look, the screw is very tight, it is just the clamp is a big larger than the post. So even with the screw very tight, the terminal still falls off? How to deal with this?

I searched online, most would suggest get a new terminal clamp. However, it is a lot of work. Can I get a post shim, which looks like a little hat, to put on battery post and re-tighten. Is this going to work? Thanks a lot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,338 Posts
When something like that happened in all my old cars I used Aluminum Foil to cover the battery terminal so it became more snug.. It always worked but only if the gap wasn´t too big.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did this. Two issues.
1. It is hard to put the terminal clamp on top of the shim. It took me a while and deformed the terminal clamp very slightly. So maybe the aluminum foil is a better solution.
2. Those shims only work for positive terminal which is larger than negative. If the negative side is loose, these shims won't work.

Help this will help others.

There is a lead cap, which tightly fits over the post.
Find it at any auto parts store or WalMart, next to the batteries, for a couple of bucks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
752 Posts
The lead cap is soft and can be cut with scissors, then shaped, by hand to fit the smaller negative post.

So, you cut 2 small "v" shapes out of the sides of the lead cap, put the cap over the negative terminal, and mold it with your fingers. Now it isn't too big.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Funny, I had the exact same problem on a different vehicle this weekend. Both pos terminals were not tight. I have fancy aftermarket battery terminals, but they're not really anything special. Regardless, the ears of the clamp were touching and the connection was not tight. It's an F250 7.3 so it has two ginormous batteries. I spent a small fortune on the batteries, since I don't drive it every day, and regular batteries lose their zip way too quickly. I'm sick of having to replace cheap batteries!

Aluminum foil, or a strip from a beer can, would work pretty well. However it introduces another metal into the mix, which may cause some corrosion. The terminals on my batteries are actually brass (at $300 each they should be freakin' gold-plated!)

I used some copper sheet left over from another project. One problem though: as-rolled copper is fairly hard, and as difficult to roll into a small ring. Plus it won't conform to the post very well. How to solve that? Anneal it, baby. Use a propane (or MAPP) torch to heat the copper hot-hot, then let it cool. The heated/cooled copper will be butter-soft compared to the rest of the sheet. Cut your strips from the softened part of the sheet, tin snips work great but big scissors might work too. After it's cooled, sand off the scale down to bright copper for the best electrical contact.

Another trick is to cut the ends of the strip on the diagonal, instead of straight. The diagonal cut(s) help give more consistent radial pressure - see the pic for an example. You'll have to keep trimming the ends as you get the ring small enough, you don't want the ends overlapping.

You'll have to pry the clamp arms open a little bit. Slip the copper ring into the clamp and reinstall onto the terminal. The soft copper will conform to the clamp and the post.

I did both batteries this weekend, let's hope this solves the problem of loose terminals...
c.
 

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top