Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2015 MDX A/E wouldn’t start (it did the slow crank start once prior) today so I had to get a battery from the auto parts store. Told them make and model of vehicle and they gave me an Autocraft Platinum H6 AGM battery. I haven’t tried putting it in yet but I was looking it up online and some websites were saying this does not fit my MDX. Has anyone else installed an H6 battery? Can’t tell by eyeballing it whether they significantly differ in size but this new one has recessed terminals in the corners while the old one just has them sticking up from a flat top. Thought I’d ask before I lift the old one out and try to lift the new one in. These suckers are heavy for my bad back. Tried searching but haven’t seen any mention of H6 batteries.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
The battery in my 2014 MDX, which I'm pretty certain is the same as your 2015, is a standard 24R group size. I replaced it with a 24F Exide from Home Depot for about $99 when it was just over 4 years old due to the original failing suddenly.

I don't know about yours but I'd stick with the more original form factor and I don't think the AGM is needed for this. You could probably buy a couple of batteries and a nice dinner for the cost of the battery you have (just guessing on that).

·
Registered
200 Posts
It's not going to fit. The correct size for your MDX is group size 24F or 35, 650CCA(what I have).
Looks like it's a little too big for the ttray or you may also have trouble connecting cables.

Unlike what the poster above stated, I'm all for AGM battery, YMMV. You can buy a Duracell brand Group size 35 AGM battery for $160 at Sam's Club. Duracell batteries are made by East Penn.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Unlike what the poster above stated, I'm all for AGM battery, YMMV. You can buy a Duracell brand Group size 35 AGM battery for $160 at Sam's Club.
I stated what I did because the normal battery suffices for any power needs my MDX has had given that it doesn't have the start/stop function some later MDXs have and the added warranty lifetime for an AGM isn't much, which is just one metric. My $99 battery has a 40 month free replacement warranty period and most AGM batteries I've checked have about 48 months although sometimes comparing directly within a manufacturer yields no difference in the full replacement warranty between the two.

How long has the AGM battery lasted in your MDX applications (if you know yet)?

OP - Your battery might fit. It's just 1/4" longer and somewhat shorter in height than the recommended size of the 24F battery. I'm surprised though that an auto parts store would have sold you a battery other than the OE Size battery (24F) unless you specifically asked for it. Okay, I'm not that surprised since most people working at an auto parts store nowadays know nothing about vehicles or the parts they sell.

·
Registered
200 Posts
My MDX came with Acura 100 month 650 CCA battery, don't know if it's an AGM or not. But biggest advantage of AGM batteries is it's low self discharge rate which gives you a reliable battery power. My last AGM (Intimidator by Deka - made by East Penn) lasted a little more than 6 years.

The battery OP bought may fit in the battery tray if it's only 1/4" longer. But he'll probably have bigger trouble connecting the cables to batt terminal which are semi-recessed. Battery connector cables in my 15 MDX are rather huge as shown.

Battery.jpg

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
But he'll probably have bigger trouble connecting the cables to batt terminal
It might be an issue, especially with the battery shroud (plastic cover for the battery). Regardless, it's best to stick very close to the OE form factor on a battery to make sure it fits well.

I've read mixed reports on AGMs, including how they could have shorter life in more arid climates. It's worth considering an AGM though they're significantly more expensive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts