Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been disconnecting my 2005 mdx battery each night to avoid overnight battery drain.
Works but becoming old fast.
I am considering having a battery shutoff valve installed.
Good idea? Bad idea? Why?
Thanks.
Hutch828

·
Registered
118 Posts
Better idea to figure out what is draining the battery. There are many videos on youtube that shows the procedure. Also, how old is the battery? If its more than a few years old, the capacity may be reduced.

·
Registered
456 Posts
If your system is functioning properly you do not need a battery shut off or maintainer! :) Find the problem and fix it! Exception if you live in extremely Cold Climates a battery maintainer is a practical solution for cold starting problems.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
It's well worth the effort to find what's causing the battery drain. Even if it doesn't seem to be causing other problems, the fact something is drawing far more current than it should could end up with a "real problem" that you'll have to deal with in the future. As was mentioned above, there are a host of good 'net resources showing how to do this (ammeter in series with the battery, pull fuses to find the guilty circuit).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sometimes you may have done something without thinking, like left a map light on, or the glove box is ajar and the light is on, or the trunk is a jar and the trunk light is on; check the stupid stuff before doing more complicated stuff. Check your battery to make sure it's good, even today's newer batteries have been known to go bad rather quickly so don't dismiss the battery thing just because it's only 2 year old. If it is the battery consider getting a Napa Legend, their the best currently; places like Napa can check your battery for you for free, or you can do it yourself simply by turning on the headlights to bright aimed at a wall so you can see the beam, turn your fan on high, turn on your stereo, then start your car while watching the beam on the wall and see if it goes dim while it's cranking. Of course a battery check with a battery checker is better, but the trick I mentioned should show if the battery is bad.

Besides the bluetooth thing someone mentioned your alarm system could be the culprit.

But before you start into the HFL thing, first check to see if any lights have been left on accidently, then check the battery, then disconnect the HFL to see if the battery dies after that, if it does then it's the alarm system or you have a short somewhere...you better hope you don't have a short because shop time to track down a short is labor intensive and they charge more per hour for electrical stuff and could go into many hours of tracking. I had a short in a Chrysler Town and Country van years ago, the guy at the shop said that if could take upwards of 24 hours of labor to find it at a rate back then of $70 an hour, so his way of solving the issue was to pull the fuse which ran the stereo and the horn, no more problem!
All this electrical crap going on with today's cars is making cars with less than stellar reliability, and Acura/Honda has dropped their quality control way down after the 2009 year models.

The bluetooth thing, the Hands Free Link (HFL) is a real possibility, there was a class action lawsuit to get these things fix under recall, I haven't heard if they've succeeded in the recall since I didn't get anything in the mail about it. Johnson Controls made these units and I know a bit about Johnson Controls...their quality sucks, and they make all sorts of stuff from car batteries to AC units, and they all have problems. This HFL thing seems to be more acute in 07 to 08 cars. What this thing is trying to do is to constantly be rebooting, a glitch in the software, you can check this easily by activating your bluetooth and voice commands, if they work that I seriously doubt the HFL is bad. At least if you Youtube it you will find that it's fairly easy to replace, but the part is sort of expensive at around $200 I think I read, to as much as $700 depending on the year and model, but around $700 for the dealer to fix it if the part is the cheaper one otherwise it could be closer $1,200.

Here is video that shows what to do:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts