Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my Acura 2016 MDX SHAWD as a CPO car in 2018. So the Acura warranty expired on 2/2020 and the CPO Acura car warranty is there till 2/2021.
After market installations.

compustar 4905-s- Remote car starter
I have Navtool AA/Carplay unit installed.

i am sure both these will draw some current when car is off. But i have never had to jumpstart my car in past 2 yrs. When u

I read the battery voltage 4 hrs after i used my car. The battery read about 9-10 volts. with the current battery 4yrs old i guess battery has died.Time to replace the battery. Any suggestion on replacing battery?
With car warranty expiring on 2/2020 , will Acura care CPO cover battery replacements?
If there is no warranty cover i am thinking of getting interstate battery from costco and replacing it myself

Any other recommendations and how much it would cost at dealership and other auto shops including labor?

·
Registered
474 Posts
In the past I have had good luck with NAPA batteries in my diesel truck. If your a member, Costco also has decent prices. Remember, all automotive batteries are made by one of three companies. All are made to a price point. And your actually paying for warrenty period, not a better product. Whether the dealer will replace it for free or not, you need to ask them.

·
Registered
268 Posts
It seems 3-4 years is about the life expectancy, and that, in my opinion, is too short. In my case, I think the Auto Stop/Start system is to blame. My 17 MDX is on it's third battery (2 replacements by dealer). I have 20k miles on the car. Some will say I don't drive it enough to keep it charged, but I'm concerned because in several months it will be out of warranty. I recently asked the dealer to conduct a load test to see if anything is drawing juice excessively or when car is shut off. This testing has been put on hold because of Covid19 but it will get done before warranty expires. Most good aftermarket batteries are warranted for 5 years. There's a reason why OEM Acura batteries get only 3. MY son has a 2016 Pilot Touring and he just had to change battery ($250 at dealer). His has the Auto Stop/Start and uses an AGM battery. I think I'm gonna need to condition myself to turning off that system when I start the car. I always thought it was a bad idea anyway.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I forgot to ask, guys: To those having stop/start systems and AGM batteries - there is a battery temperature sensor in the stop/start cars. Has anyone used an aftermarket battery and had issues with the temperature sensor? Since the battery is all covered up, I can't see if the sensor is actually built-in to the battery or where it is located.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Probably too late for OP, but this past Saturday I needed a new battery for my pickup. Called AAA and they came to the house and installed an 800 cranking amps AAA battery (no clue who makes it) for $136. Has a 6 year prorated warranty with a 3 yr full replacement. Most batteries I have found have a 2 year replacement. I would recommend if you are a AAA member.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Probably too late for OP, but this past Saturday I needed a new battery for my pickup. Called AAA and they came to the house and installed an 800 cranking amps AAA battery (no clue who makes it) for $136. Has a 6 year prorated warranty with a 3 yr full replacement. Most batteries I have found have a 2 year replacement. I would recommend if you are a AAA member.
unfortunately i am not AAA member. I got the below battery from Costco for 158$ with 15$ core exchange fee. I did a install myself. I also had inquired the dealer, he said 200$ for lesser speced battery with 40$ for install, so i decided to do DIY with Costco interstate batt.

Cold Cranking Amps 760
Cranking Amps 950

·
Registered
24 Posts
unfortunately i am not AAA member. I got the below battery from Costco for 158$ with 15$ core exchange fee. I did a install myself. I also had inquired the dealer, he said 200$ for lesser speced battery with 40$ for install, so i decided to do DIY with Costco interstate batt.

Cold Cranking Amps 760
Cranking Amps 950

Got AAA battery on a AAA service call. The 3 year total no charge replacement is certainly better than ACURA'S 2 year. 2014 MDX TECH Acura batteries last 2 years in Texas heat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts