Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 MDX and I think I have a 'ghost' drain on my battery when turned off because the battery just barely turns over the engine or sometimes not. Battery checks out OK. My multi-meter check when engine is off and car is turned off and doors closed is the following. current draw is initially 0.7 amps for about 1 min. then drops down to 0.02 amps.

When I pull the 40A fuse labeled for 'Back-up ACC" draw drops to 0.005 amps.

I don't have a wiring diagram so do not the specifics of this 40A fuse but suspect it is the problem ..

Thoughts before I go to dealer? No HFL because 04 was too early.

Thanks,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Follow up. I sat in car and turned off engine. when battery is disconnected and re-connected. the CD player appears to go through a check of all the 6 CD's to see what is in the changer. This takes about 1 min and I suspect is the cause of the amp draw of 0.7 which drops down to 0.02 when it is done with the CD shuffle.

I don't think it would cause the drain and not sure if the 0.02 amp draw continuously would also cause the drain.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Let's say your typical car lead acid battery has a reserve capacity of 60 amp-hr. A draw of 0.02 amps for 24 hours is less than 0.5 amp-hr, less than 1 percent of the reserve capacity.

No you do not have an abnormal drain, just a bad battery.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I'll second NewMDXOwner's advice - you have a bad battery (or perhaps a bad charging system / alternator / cable), but no way in the world is that tiny little .02 amp drain going to send your battery south unless you park the car for weeks at a time.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
A 20 miliamp drain after only a minute is not going to get any better than that. Most of our newer cars sit at 30 to 40 miliamps, and that's after 5-10 minutes of waiting for all the control modules to go to sleep.

As has been said, your battery is probably done.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts