Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well, It was the #5 audio fuse which means the radio/cd player is causing a draw. It fired right up this morning for the first time in 2 weeks without having to be jumped. I spent $360 and 3 trips to the dealership for nothing. Now I will try and get some money back from the dealer so I can replace the audio unit. They told me there was nothing that could be done, and that there was a ghost in my car. I’m not an auto mechanic by any means, but a simple google search and with the help of YouTube I was able to diagnose better than the best mechanics at the Acura service center.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Well, It was the #5 audio fuse which means the radio/cd player is causing a draw. It fired right up this morning for the first time in 2 weeks without having to be jumped. I spent $360 and 3 trips to the dealership for nothing. Now I will try and get some money back from the dealer so I can replace the audio unit. They told me there was nothing that could be done, and that there was a ghost in my car. I’m not an auto mechanic by any means, but a simple google search and with the help of YouTube I was able to diagnose better than the best mechanics at the Acura service center.
So what was your reading with fuse #5 in and out again?

·
Registered
7 Posts
There was no change. It was at a steady 20ma whether it was in or out. I just had a hunch that the previous noises that I’ve heard coming from the CD drive were related to the battery dying overnight. Pulling the #5 audio fuse solved it. Now am replacing the audio receiver with one from a salvage yard, and will see if it still has issues.

·
Registered
624 Posts
There was no change. It was at a steady 20ma whether it was in or out. I just had a hunch that the previous noises that I’ve heard coming from the CD drive were related to the battery dying overnight. Pulling the #5 audio fuse solved it. Now am replacing the audio receiver with one from a salvage yard, and will see if it still has issues.
You replacing the whole unit?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes, the dealer wants $750 for it. I found it through Benzeen Auto Parts for $175. I could send it in for repair, but that costs more than a used unit. It comes with a 1 year warranty too.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Looks like pulling my #5 fuse kept the battery from draining dead. Going to put it back in today and see if it drains again overnight, if yes then that's the problem. Do you know what repair is done to the unit?

·
Registered
624 Posts
Another test I just did was I put the #5 fuse back in but emptied out my DVD Player drive. This morning it started fine so I assume there is a issue with the dvd drive. Can you just replace the dvd drive or do you have to replace the whole unit?

·
Registered
7 Posts
You could find a place that would possible repair it, but not sure if that part is stand alone. I received a replacement into and will install this week. I’ll post the results soon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello guys, I have the same issue and need your help, first I bought it off first owner last year and this issue has started 2 weeks ago, it’s a 2011 Acura MDX Elite, I thought my battery was bad so I bought a brand new one last week from Costco, well next day it’s dead, so I charged it back up unplugged the HFL, next day it’s still dead, so I plug the HFL Back in see if Bluetooth works it doesn’t, weird, also my power tailgate opens with the button on drivers door and remote but the button on the trunk isn’t working any thoughts ?
Next I checked for draw and got around 2.50 amps I unplugged 1 fuse at a time, and finally got it to drop down to 0.50 amps after unplugging under dash radio fuse #5, and then unplugged back up fuse #7 and that stopped the battery drain, any thoughts on how to repair this issue? Thanks guys

·
Registered
624 Posts
Hello guys, I have the same issue and need your help, first I bought it off first owner last year and this issue has started 2 weeks ago, it’s a 2011 Acura MDX Elite, I thought my battery was bad so I bought a brand new one last week from Costco, well next day it’s dead, so I charged it back up unplugged the HFL, next day it’s still dead, so I plug the HFL Back in see if Bluetooth works it doesn’t, weird, also my power tailgate opens with the button on drivers door and remote but the button on the trunk isn’t working any thoughts ?
Next I checked for draw and got around 2.50 amps I unplugged 1 fuse at a time, and finally got it to drop down to 0.50 amps after unplugging under dash radio fuse #5, and then unplugged back up fuse #7 and that stopped the battery drain, any thoughts on how to repair this issue? Thanks guys
Have you removed all the CD / DVDs from the drives? I was having the same issue and it seems ever since I removed the disc it’s been fine in my 07.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes, I had the same issues. Pulling the #5 under the dash stopped my drain. But the 2011 radio is slightly different than the 2007-2009. I was having issues with the CD drive making noises like it was searching for disks about 1 year ago. I stopped using CDs in the drive, but the issue popped up again. I took a chance by replacing the radio myself. Very easy job and there is even a YouTube video on how to do it. Zero issues now for about 5 days.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Shaffman-I've actually determined the unit that was causing my draw was the antenna amplifier...it's directly under the sub on the rear passenger side way back near the rear quarter panel. Access it by opening the rear hatch and lifting the floor cargo flap then bend some of the plastic / carpet on the right side to find a unit with three sets of wires. After removing these three connectors my X can sit for a week without being started....and fire right up. Only downside is no radio stations will tune in. Good luck, if you need I can try to take some pics.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2009 MDX - the last 2 batteries lasted approximately 20 months. In April put in a new battery from Costco and within one month the car wouldn't start. Found this thread and removed the HFL yesterday. Recharged the battery and did not have a problem this morning. As for battery warranty the first died while we were on vacation with no option to bring it to an Acura dealer. On the second I was not about to bring it back to the AAA garage about 250 miles from my house :). Great info on this thread.

·
Registered
693 Posts
On the second I was not about to bring it back to the AAA garage about 250 miles from my house :). Great info on this thread.
Yep, that's why in many cases access to warranty replacement is nearly as important as the battery itself. That's why I usually buy my batteries at Walmart. Besides the current virus lock downs and reduced hours, many Walmart stores are open 24 hours and the auto centers are open 7 days a week with a store in every town of 20K people or more. Literally every other purchase point has fewer locations and less hours in comparison and I've been using them for 20 years without an issue. When my son was in college I bought one battery and they replaced it 2X free which wasn't the battery's fault as it was a result of the car sitting so much.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts