Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Thanks for the update, another data point in the "bad battery doing weird things" pool. The clicking was probably the starter solenoid trying to make a go of starting the engine, but there simply wasn't the juice. Cells can go bad at any point, so might be worth investing in a good lithium ion jump pack to get you out of a jam.
In many cases the jump pack won't do any good unless you know you are just pushing the battery at the end of it's life. I've seen batteries develop a dead short internally and go from fine one minute to won't even turn on a dome light the next. Called AAA and they tried to jump, but even with jumper cables the dome light wouldn't come on. Getting a new battery was the only fix.

·
Registered
492 Posts
^^^Yes, that can happen and its true that a new battery is the only fix. However, in a majority of failing battery situations a jump pack will get you going. If you keep pushing it beyond that, we'll then you got the consequences you desired. Self reliance isn't always going to be enough, but it is often enough to make it a sound life principal.

·
Registered
71 Posts
^^^Yes, that can happen and its true that a new battery is the only fix. However, in a majority of failing battery situations a jump pack will get you going. If you keep pushing it beyond that, we'll then you got the consequences you desired. Self reliance isn't always going to be enough, but it is often enough to make it a sound life principal.
Agreed. And it’s a relatively inexpensive, lightweight piece of equipment that has great overall utility being so portable. Those lithium packs are the best(!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Heres the thing... Acura Roadside used a Booster Pack to jump my MDX and all was happening was all chistmas lights and the starter trying to crank. It took a vehicle to jump it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
Don't pay $245 for a battery, that's pure insanity! Costco is a ok place but their batteries are not that good, the best battery currently is the NAPA Legend Premium AGM, if you plan on keeping the car a long time, plus it has the longest warranty of any battery currently on the market; if however you think you may be getting rid of the car in a year or two then buy the cheapest battery you can find. NAPA auto parts stores will also test your battery, if you ask, to make sure the battery is bad, just remove the battery and take it to them.

Johnson Controls up until this last January made the batteries for Costco, Interstate (which use to be the best battery you could buy till Johnson Controls bought them out and ran the batteries into the ground), All the Sears Diehard Batteries (JC did the same thing to those), Duralast, Optima (another battery JC ruined) Advance Auto batteries, Motorcraft, Some of the Walmart batteries, all the various Japanese and European batteries, which were really all the same battery, dealers would get a plain white battery then just slapped on stickers of car companies to whoever needed a battery for whatever brand car. Whats funny is that a battery reseller would get a bunch of plain white Euro style batteries, not stickers, someone would come in and ask for a battery for a VW, they go back, find the VW stickers and place them on the white battery, next person comes in and wants a genuine MBZ battery, so the counter person would go back grab the exact same white battery they sold for a VW, slap MBZ stickers on it and then sell the battery for 3 times the cost of the VW battery! How do I know this you scream? I knew a person that owned a Interstate Battery business, and part of that business included Euro and Japanese batteries and slew of other batteries for odd types of equipment, and he said they all did it that way.

Johnson Controls sold the battery business to some Canadian investment firm, it will be interesting to see if the new company will start improving the mess that Johnson Controls made of those brands they made. The Interstate Battery business owner gave me a lot of information on the crap that JC did, I will never buy anything that Johnson Controls makes, like York and Coleman AC and heating systems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Also, check your alternator as well. If it goes bad, the battery won't recharge as much as it drains and you'll end up with another dead battery. Had this happen on mine years ago. Drained a brand new battery in a couple days.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Don't pay $245 for a battery, that's pure insanity! Costco is a ok place but their batteries are not that good, the best battery currently is the NAPA Legend Premium AGM, if you plan on keeping the car a long time, plus it has the longest warranty of any battery currently on the market; if however you think you may be getting rid of the car in a year or two then buy the cheapest battery you can find. NAPA auto parts stores will also test your battery, if you ask, to make sure the battery is bad, just remove the battery and take it to them.

Johnson Controls up until this last January made the batteries for Costco, Interstate (which use to be the best battery you could buy till Johnson Controls bought them out and ran the batteries into the ground), All the Sears Diehard Batteries (JC did the same thing to those), Duralast, Optima (another battery JC ruined) Advance Auto batteries, Motorcraft, Some of the Walmart batteries, all the various Japanese and European batteries, which were really all the same battery, dealers would get a plain white battery then just slapped on stickers of car companies to whoever needed a battery for whatever brand car. Whats funny is that a battery reseller would get a bunch of plain white Euro style batteries, not stickers, someone would come in and ask for a battery for a VW, they go back, find the VW stickers and place them on the white battery, next person comes in and wants a genuine MBZ battery, so the counter person would go back grab the exact same white battery they sold for a VW, slap MBZ stickers on it and then sell the battery for 3 times the cost of the VW battery! How do I know this you scream? I knew a person that owned a Interstate Battery business, and part of that business included Euro and Japanese batteries and slew of other batteries for odd types of equipment, and he said they all did it that way.

Johnson Controls sold the battery business to some Canadian investment firm, it will be interesting to see if the new company will start improving the mess that Johnson Controls made of those brands they made. The Interstate Battery business owner gave me a lot of information on the crap that JC did, I will never buy anything that Johnson Controls makes, like York and Coleman AC and heating systems.
This is an awesome post! I try to keep up on battery label marketing and have held JC in decent regard, but seems I need to update my knowledge base. Who makes the NAPA batteries?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Heres the thing... Acura Roadside used a Booster Pack to jump my MDX and all was happening was all chistmas lights and the starter trying to crank. It took a vehicle to jump it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Sure. Been there, done that. Often though, you need to leave the lithium boosters connected for awhile before trying to start the dead vehicle. I have had luck leaving them sit for 10-15 minutes. YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
863 Posts
Re batteries, if you are AAA member they will come to you and replace battery. Recently my 2000 Chevy 2500 pickup with 6.0 V-8 needed battery. New battery was $136 with 6 yr prorated warranty and 3 year full replacement.

Re Napa legend, it is a good battery, made by East Penn. There is an East Penn distribution center close by and I have purchased several marine batteries from them. Their house brand is Deka.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts