Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just tried to unlock my MDX few moments ago, and it was dead. No warnings nothing. Is this usual?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Last time I drove it was on Sunday, and I made sure everything reached operating temps.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It sounds like the battery is failing, did you get it to start up eventually?
I haven't to yet, because I got class right now. I did call Acura and got quotes for prices. Service quoted me $245 for the battery install and battery and parts told me that the battery itself is like $195.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I haven't to yet, because I got class right now. I did call Acura and got quotes for prices. Service quoted me $245 for the battery install and battery and parts told me that the battery itself is like $195.
My 2015 battery failed in the beginning of 2020, I replaced it with Interstate I got from Costco, $95 bucks, if DIY is not your option, you can go to autozone or advance auto parts, they provide free installation, fast and cheaper.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Original MDX battery is covered for 4yrs / 50k warranty. Your signature indicated you have 2017 model with 39k miles, replacement should be free.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just attempted a jump start, it would not start with first and second attempt but only crank. Third attempt, it was fully dead again.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Original MDX battery is covered for 4yrs / 50k warranty. Your signature indicated you have 2017 model with 39k miles, replacement should be free.
Thank you for telling me that. Acura is getting the battery replacement for me for free tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now the speedometer (possibly) is making a tiking noise)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So it is not even showing any type of sign that power is going to it. So it went from a dead battery to possibly a bigger issue. Is this common and normal? Also the brake pedal is hard as a brick. Not sure what to do now.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
So it is not even showing any type of sign that power is going to it. So it went from a dead battery to possibly a bigger issue. Is this common and normal? Also the brake pedal is hard as a brick. Not sure what to do now.
It is still possible the battery issue. I have similar issue when my '12 TL has corrosion on the terminal cable/battery pole. Once corrosion is cleaned, it works nicely.

If cleaning didn't work, contact acura care roadside assistance and let them take the MDX to dealer for further troubleshoot.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is still possible the battery issue. I have similar issue when my '12 TL has corrosion on the terminal cable/battery pole. Once corrosion is cleaned, it works nicely.

If cleaning didn't work, contact acura care roadside assistance and let them take the MDX to dealer for further troubleshoot.
Right now I am waiting for roadside to come and use a booster pack to see if it can start. I do have an 8am appointment tomorrow morning at acura.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
492 Posts
So you're driving it with a battery that is completely toast but wondering why it's making weird noises, showing no signs of life, and stranding you? This is what happens when you remove all basic vocational training from high school curriculum (I'm not a boomer!)

The brake pedal is hard because the assist is based on engine vacuum. There is a finite amount of vacuum reserve with the engine off, you press the pedal a few times to attempt to start the MDX with a flat battery and the reserve is depleted.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So you're driving it with a battery that is completely toast but wondering why it's making weird noises, showing no signs of life, and stranding you? This is what happens when you remove all basic vocational training from high school curriculum (I'm not a boomer!)

The brake pedal is hard because the assist is based on engine vacuum. There is a finite amount of vacuum reserve with the engine off, you press the pedal a few times to attempt to start the MDX with a flat battery and the reserve is depleted.
It was fine on sunday and now its toast. The sounds were coming after attempting jump starts.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
UPDATE: Took it to the dealer this morning and it failed the load test. Got the battery replaced for free.

·
Registered
2014 MDX Tech SH-AWD
31 Posts
There are too many variables with jumping that you can't assume it's more than a battery issue if a jump doesn't work. Cable gauge, time, battery depletion, etc. all take a toll. Sounds like the OP got it figured out with a new battery.

·
Registered
512 Posts
My friend came over and helped me to jump start my car last month, we let it charged for 20 mins, my dashboard was still dead, and sooner I realized something is off, and I found out too much corrosion built on his battery clamps, which cause bad connection, after I cleaned it, my MDX started right up.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Thanks for the update, another data point in the "bad battery doing weird things" pool. The clicking was probably the starter solenoid trying to make a go of starting the engine, but there simply wasn't the juice. Cells can go bad at any point, so might be worth investing in a good lithium ion jump pack to get you out of a jam.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts