Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello MDXers,

I am looking at a 2016 MDX with 40,000 miles which is a lease return. I test drove it today and everything looked great. However, at the dealership the battery of the car was dead so they had to re-charge it before taking it for a test drive. Also, after the test drive I checked the CARFAX report and the report often mentions "Battery/charging system checked." This is typically accompanied by other routine servicing jobs like oil and filter changes, brake fluid flushed and changed, etc. In total, there are 7 mentions of "Battery/charging system checked" in a period of 3 years that the first owner had this vehicle.

Is this normal? Am I worrying for no reason? I asked the dealership about this and they told me that this just a routine check everyvtime the owner brought the vehicle for servicing. I wonder if it was the case that the battery/charging system was giving problems and every time the owner brought the car to the dealership, the dealer serviced other items that were also about to be due. I checked the CARFAX of several other MDXs but didn't notice battery/charging system checks in any other reports.

Any insight would be much appreciated!! Thanks.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Probably nothing to worry about. Battery is covered under the warranty, anyway.

If it's CPO, you get 5 year, 62k miles of non-powertrain coverage and 7 year, 100k miles of powertrain coverage.
If not CPO, you've still got the factory 4/50k and 6/70k warranties.

When you make your purchase offer, you can also make it contingent on a successful load test, or even demand a new battery, if that's what you want.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I've had 3 Acura vehicles since 2006 and the 100 month OEM battery only lasted only 3-4 years (started giving me issue around 2-3 years). It usually starts with check charging system warnings, reduced reserve time if run the MDX with engine off (sit and listen to the radio or dashcam), and taking a few extra cranks to start. The OEM battery tested fine everytime until a cell died and the vehicle didn't crank at all on two vehicles. I just replaced with Interstate batteries and usually get the full warranty period and zero check charging system warnings.

I would check to see if the battery was replaced at any service.

·
Registered
713 Posts
this came up on another forum I belong to. I have no way of knowing the state of discharge on one of these battery systems after sitting 3 or 4 days without measuring the voltage. The chart does show however that the deeper the battery discharge the shorter the life. FWIW my 2006 key Fob battery lasted 10 years. My 2015 MDX FOB battery lasted 2 years. There is a lot more constant communication coming from the MDX than cars 10 years ago so there has to be greater discharge while sitting several days.. In fact Acura replaced the 12V battery in my 2015 already when it went bad about six months ago. That Honda replacement was slow to turn the engine over Monday when it had been sitting since Thursday afternoon.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts