Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 MDX, the battery warning light has been on for almost a year, it has no problem starting, no hesitation, that's why I never bothered to do anything about it. Yesterday I took the MDX to the dealer for an oil change, and they said it'd cost $171 to have the battery replaced. :eek: I haven't bought any car battery lately, but $171 (parts & labor) seems kinda outrageous. Is there a specific brand battery from auto part stores that you guys would recommend?
Thank you!

·
Registered
336 Posts
AutoZone, Advance Auto Parts and Pep Boys will install the batteries for free, too. This past spring I bought a Bosch battery at Pep Boys because it had a nice rebate. I'd say $100-$120 for the battery sounds normal.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Are you getting the red battery symbol? I had a yellow "check charging system" warning on my 11. They did a software update and corrected the problem.

I purchased a battery charger and maintainer for my son's TSX for about $70 at Autozone. He has an aftermarket alarm with remote start and a GPS tracker in his car. Those two things can run down his battery if he doesn't drive the TSX for a while (like when we are out of town on vacation). I put the charger on the MDX for the fun of it and the OEM battery was only at 65% with 25-40 miles of normal daily driving. The only thing I have extra on my MDX is a Blackvue dash cam with power magic pro to turn off the cam if power get too low.

You might just have a power draw and your battery could be just low (assuming the battery and electrical system checks out A-OK).

·
Registered
798 Posts
Get an AGM battery. A better battery type.
I agree with this but some may view it as overkill as the same type of logic of why all the MDX owners do not run synthetic.

As far as battery brands, several will be similiar performing. Just like Luxotica that basically has a monopoly on sunglasses and eyewear, Johnson Controls has one of the biggest market share in the USA.

Johnson Controls is the largest producer of private label lead acid batteries in North America, and is becoming a leader in Asia and South America. In 2000 Johnson Controls acquired Gylling Optima Batteries AB of Sweden. Johnson Controls completed the acquisition of German automotive battery maker HOPPECKE Automotive GmbH & Co. The company has a excellent customer base that includes many of Europe’s leading auto manufacturers.

Johnson Controls is not only the largest North American battery manufacture, but they literally control the North American battery market.

Johnson Controls manufactures batteries for the following private labels:
Interstate, DieHard, Duralast, Kirkland, Everstart, ProStart, Acura, Advance Auto Parts, Autocraft, Western Auto, Tough One, Alliance, American Hardware, Ames, Varta, Blains Farm & Fleet, Battery Alliance, Bosch, Carrefour(Europe), Champion, Amara Raja Batteries LTD(Joint venture with Johnson Controls India).

Varta, Optima Batteries, LTH, and Heliar are all battery brands owned by Johnson Controls.

Johnson Controls also supplies numerous original equipment batteries. So next time you go and buy a battery, or a automobile chances are its a battery made by Johnson Controls.

·
Registered
863 Posts
When is the in-service date for your 2011? OEM battery will be replaced under warranty for the first four years. Mine was replaced about a year ago under warranty. I had not had any issues, but the dealer tested it during a regular service and said it needed to be replaced.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I agree with this but some may view it as overkill as the same type of logic of why all the MDX owners do not run synthetic.

As far as battery brands, several will be similiar performing. Just like Luxotica that basically has a monopoly on sunglasses and eyewear, Johnson Controls has one of the biggest market share in the USA.
AGM has a longer lifespan. My AGM in my 760 (1000 CCA) lasted 8 years while all of my honda lead acid batteries have died within 48 months of installation (factory or through dealer). After the AGM battery in my MDX I'm a believer. Not starting it for 2 months and starting it again was a relief with a lead acid, common with AGM even after 60 months.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I had to replace both of my OEM batteries in my TSX and RDX within 48 months of new. I'm at 4 1/2 years since new on my MDX OEM battery. Really debating the cheaper interstate type battery for 1/2 the price or making the jump and going with AGM. I will try and squeeze as much life from OEM before I decide. I might go the cheaper route if OEM goes another 3-5 years.

·
Registered
798 Posts
AGM has a longer lifespan. My AGM in my 760 (1000 CCA) lasted 8 years while all of my honda lead acid batteries have died within 48 months of installation (factory or through dealer). After the AGM battery in my MDX I'm a believer. Not starting it for 2 months and starting it again was a relief with a lead acid, common with AGM even after 60 months.
In no way was I implying that AGM is the same as regular lead batteries. I was just stating that people shouldn't necessarily get caught up in brands.

There are definitely advantages and I'm not denying that. It's just that different people will place different priorities in justifying whether they want to shell out the extra dough.

Just checked my lead battery the other night and it's from 2010. :eek: Gonna see if it makes it through this winter.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just replaced the battery in my 2010. Dealer quoted around $150, a local shop was about $120 and Sam's Club (with install) was $100. Went to Costco and bought the battery for $85 and installed it myself. Turns out it's the same battery as the Lexus RX350 so I ended up just buying a replacement for my wife's car at the same time. If you're a member at Costco, definitely recommend that route. FYI, they will charge you a core fee of $15/battery that they will refund once you bring back the old battery.

Don't wait too long. I waited about 6 months after my "check battery" appeared and there was definitely some leakage, major corrosive and the side of the actual battery was bulging. Had I known the condition it was in, I wouldn't have felt comfortable driving that long.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts