Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I listen to alot of music that has lots of bass, and I cannot get the amount of bass that my other cars have. My other cars is a 1999 Honda Accord LX and 2016 Nissan Rogue SL with Bose Audio. Is there anyway for me to the more bass? I have the settings at max for bass, min for treble in the car and bass booster turned on in my phone. My Acura is a 2017 MDX w/ tech.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
80 Posts
I listen to alot of music that has lots of bass, and I cannot get the amount of bass that my other cars have. My other cars is a 1999 Honda Accord LX and 2016 Nissan Rogue SL with Bose Audio. Is there anyway for me to the more bass? I have the settings at max for bass, min for treble in the car and bass booster turned on in my phone. My Acura is a 2017 MDX w/ tech.

Good Lord, dude! Treble minimized, all bass max'd out and you have your phone on bass boost!??!? How the hell do you hear anything other than a garbled, distorted mess? They must have seriously changed the audio system vs. my 2011 in order for you to even be able to turn the volume past 3 with those settings.

That being said, unless you have an actual issue with the sub being disconnected in your vehicle (make sure this is not the case), I'm afraid that you will need to look into adding aftermarket sub(s) to get what you are looking/listening for.

Good luck (to your eardrums, too :wink: ),
Jeff in Houston

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good Lord, dude! Treble minimized, all bass max'd out and you have your phone on bass boost!??!? How the hell do you hear anything other than a garbled, distorted mess? They must have seriously changed the audio system vs. my 2011 in order for you to even be able to turn the volume past 3 with those settings.

That being said, unless you have an actual issue with the sub being disconnected in your vehicle (make sure this is not the case), I'm afraid that you will need to look into adding aftermarket sub(s) to get what you are looking/listening for.

Good luck (to your eardrums, too :wink: ),
Jeff in Houston
Aye man, none of my cars has an aftermarket sub at all. Im part of the new gen kids, so kinda make sense with the excessive bass. There is no sub in my 17 MDX with tech, so thats not an issue as my 6th gen Accord doesn't have a sub at all. I can hear music loud and clear at volume 4, but I want the bass feel. We had an Odyssey prior to this, and I can have the bass felt at like volume 8 without a sub. So i am literally confused on where Honda/Acura screwed up on the audio system area.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
The OEM System in the MDX wont allow you to distort EVER so if the system knows you will clip the speakers it wont allow you to set the volume any higher.. So the amount of bass you add is directly proportional to the max volume you lose.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Aye man, none of my cars has an aftermarket sub at all. Im part of the new gen kids, so kinda make sense with the excessive bass. There is no sub in my 17 MDX with tech, so thats not an issue as my 6th gen Accord doesn't have a sub at all. I can hear music loud and clear at volume 4, but I want the bass feel. We had an Odyssey prior to this, and I can have the bass felt at like volume 8 without a sub. So i am literally confused on where Honda/Acura screwed up on the audio system area.

You do have a sub. There is even a level adjustment for it. I wouldn't use Bose as a basis for anything unless it is for how things should not sound. Their stuff is so bad. They get the inaccurate "Bose" sound through EQ. They boost the mid bass and midrange to make you feel like it is so good.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Just because the system doesn't meet your expectations doesn't mean Acura screwed up. You may have unrealistic expectations. That's why there is an aftermarket.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
You do have a sub. There is even a level adjustment for it. I wouldn't use Bose as a basis for anything unless it is for how things should not sound. Their stuff is so bad. They get the inaccurate "Bose" sound through EQ. They boost the mid bass and midrange to make you feel like it is so good.

Clearly millions of people would not agree with you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
That is because Bose will not allow any of their products to be tested and measured. They also do not give out power and frequency response information. All people that are into audio reproduction agree that Bose is nothing but hype. I challenge you to listen to a Bose system side by side with a system half the cost.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Yeah the Bose system in Acuras is pretty darn bad for any self respected audiophile, Even for mainstream users they most notice the muddy sound from miles away... Although it is one of the "Better" OEM Systems for what is worth?. Then the ELS Audio is better and then the Krell Audio is even better, For what OEM Audio Systems go for anyway.

Most aftermarket setups will put to shame any OEM Audio System..
I tuned my TL-S for SQ and with 1000RMS with a single 12W7 Subwoofer the difference between my TL-S Audio and my MDX Audio is like putting some ear mufflers while listening to music. I am quite sad that my MDX is so hard to upgrade but I live with it, I didn´t have much expectations for the ELS Audio system and it didn´t disappoint...

Reactions: SliderJeff

·
Registered
503 Posts
It's widely accepted across all vehicle brands that the Bose logo means disappointment...plus I think there is a demographic component (ie if you played vinyl through 901's the more likely Bose is a positve). Last I checked the buying public has zero input at that table when OEM audio decisions are made. It's an OK system, I'm not inclined to invest any money in improving it just yet, but I hate how stubborn Bose is with their commitment to some purist audio mantra from the 1970's. Basically the Bose model is cut the crisp highs, limit the deep punchy bass and produce music how the engineers intended. Maybe in the world of audio geeks that's cool, but I can assure you most people would pick the crisp high end and deep bass over the Bose purist nonsense.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I guess just because it's a thread I actually don't mind commenting on, I'll give my $0.02 on the topic.

1.) First of all, +1 on the Bose (and MonsterCable, but don't get me started) being "Better sound through kick ass marketing". They are, as they say, "the suck"
2.) I have the ELS system in my 2011. I didn't realize that the 2017 Tech didn't have that as the standard. I thought only the base model would have the B(l)ose system.
3.) I keep my iPhone 6s EQ set to Rock. I have the center speaker turned off, as it has a nasty rattle like perhaps it's blown. I have the treble set reasonably high, with the bass about mid-level for the doors and such and the sub up around maybe 3/4 full. For my specific listening tastes (pretty much most heavy metal genres, jazz, flamenco, dubstep), that is kind of the best of what I have available to me. Do I think it sounds anywhere near as good as the Focal Polykevlar comps I had in my old F150? HELL to the NO! But it's not offensive and doesn't make me HATE the system like my old Maxima with the B(l)ose crap in it. I seriously thought they left blankets in my doors or something when I first heard it. Ewwwww.
4.) Yes, Acura makes it a huge pain in the ass to upgrade even something as easy as the sub. Which is why I still haven't done anything, 5 years after purchase. There was a custom shop out West (I think) that did this amazing sub and amp upgrade using the standard enclosure we already have and it looks completely stock. I believe it was a shallow W7 that was used. I never got a chance to hear it, but I'd love to have that done to mine... if I wasn't already at 120k miles and likely getting rid of it when it finally goes belly up.

Anyway, ignoring all of my OPINIONS above, like I said in my original reply, if stock is not cutting it for you, it's aftermarket or no audio at all as the only other two options. Good luck with your choices and welcome to the boards!

Regards,
Jeff in Houston

·
Registered
30 Posts
It's widely accepted across all vehicle brands that the Bose logo means disappointment...plus I think there is a demographic component (ie if you played vinyl through 901's the more likely Bose is a positve). Last I checked the buying public has zero input at that table when OEM audio decisions are made. It's an OK system, I'm not inclined to invest any money in improving it just yet, but I hate how stubborn Bose is with their commitment to some purist audio mantra from the 1970's. Basically the Bose model is cut the crisp highs, limit the deep punchy bass and produce music how the engineers intended. Maybe in the world of audio geeks that's cool, but I can assure you most people would pick the crisp high end and deep bass over the Bose purist nonsense.
There are definitely no audio geeks that like the Bose "sound". The 901's might be the only exception.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Guys, Im not comparing this system to Bose as I was also disappointed that the Nissan I bought didn't came with a more premium audio brand, but I'll take what I get. I have Kickers and pioneers in my 90s honda with a JVC HU and stock HU and system in my 05 odyssey EX-L w/ Navi and RES. I thought of planning to replace the bose but it looks like a huge job to DYI. I prefer stock and actually thought ELS audio would be great, otherwise I would have gotten the Base model. Bose is standard on the higher trim models for Nissan and Infiniti. @elvisfan , I am a long time Hondafan boy, so I know what to expect from Honda. I am not disappointed with the MDX as it is a great car, far superior than the Pilot. @audionut21 , where is the sub located in the car? @SliderJeff, I live in Florida and I am somewhat a DYI person when it comes to audio, but if I were to upgrade the HU, I'd be losing some of the features that I paid with the tech package, so planning to keep stock.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Guys, Im not comparing this system to Bose as I was also disappointed that the Nissan I bought didn't came with a more premium audio brand, but I'll take what I get. I have Kickers and pioneers in my 90s honda with a JVC HU and stock HU and system in my 05 odyssey EX-L w/ Navi and RES. I thought of planning to replace the bose but it looks like a huge job to DYI. I prefer stock and actually thought ELS audio would be great, otherwise I would have gotten the Base model. Bose is standard on the higher trim models for Nissan and Infiniti. @elvisfan , I am a long time Hondafan boy, so I know what to expect from Honda. I am not disappointed with the MDX as it is a great car, far superior than the Pilot. @audionut21 , where is the sub located in the car? @SliderJeff, I live in Florida and I am somewhat a DYI person when it comes to audio, but if I were to upgrade the HU, I'd be losing some of the features that I paid with the tech package, so planning to keep stock.

Passenger side panel back by the tailgate.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
I have the center speaker turned off, as it has a nasty rattle like perhaps it's blown.

Regards,
Jeff in Houston

hahahaha Mine also did that, I had to remove it and super glue the stupid metal grille on top of it as it had unglued itself and rattle.. I can confirm that super gluing the grille Will stop the rattle and do not worry about speaker replacement, the speaker comes out from beneath the grille.

Reactions: SliderJeff

·
Registered
80 Posts
hahahaha Mine also did that, I had to remove it and super glue the stupid metal grille on top of it as it had unglued itself and rattle.. I can confirm that super gluing the grille Will stop the rattle and do not worry about speaker replacement, the speaker comes out from beneath the grille.
Good to know! Thanks, skirmich! I'll add that to the list of "sh*t to look at fixing on the MDX" when I get to having any time not directly related to getting cornholed by Hurricane Harvey. :( My biggest MDX issue at the moment is the fact that the USB jack shorted out and I'm afraid I'll need to replace the whole entire receiver unit for a bajillion dollars in order to get that functionality back. #nothighjackingthread #sorry I already have a separate post on that issue if anyone has thoughts. Would welcome any ideas over there.

datechboss101,

I understand your disappointment. I'm a little surprised that you feel the ELS system is THAT awful. I just wonder how much difference there is between the current gen of ELS and the one in my 2011 with Tech/Nav.

Regards,
Jeff in Houston

·
Registered
672 Posts
The OP commented about the poor bass response - not the sub-bass - although certainly they are often used interchangeably. The poor bass response is a function of the cheap door speakers (ELS labels stuck on crap speakers), and is very easy to remedy by replacing them with quality speakers. The sub-bass weakness is no doubt a function of the cheap speaker in the rear quarter, but can also result from not knowing how the system works: the subwoofer is driven by a crossover in the rear speaker circuits, so turning down the rear volume with the fader kills the sub-bass. Also, at least on the basic model, the sub-bass is the lone adjustment on the second page of the equalizer settings and no doubt is often missed.

There seems to be a belief that upgrading the speakers is a difficult job - it is not. Nor is it expensive (somewhere around $300 for the full set of speakers from the web). The doors and the center dash speakers are accessed by prying open, then a few screws. The A-column is opened with a single bolt to access the tweeter. The sub is a bit harder, but not much. Alternatively pay ~$1k for a pro shop to do it; if sound quality in a $50k car is important to you then this isn't much of a premium.

Greg

1 - 20 of 21 Posts