Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read several conflicting threads regarding the Base MDX (non-Bose) stereo system.

Does the base system have an external amplifier beyond the subwoofer's amp? That is, are the 4 left & right channels powered by an amp internal to the head unit or by an external amplifier? If it is an external amp, where is it located????

I'll be hooking up an equalizer with speaker level inputs and am hoping to locate it below the drivers seat with speaker outputs coming directly from the head unit. Thoughts?:confused:

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Speaker outputs come directly from the audio unit (head unit); even the rear subwoofer amp is driven by speaker-level signals coming off the L/R rear door speakers. How will a speaker-level-input equalizer work in a car with front/rear faders?

Left front is on pins 8 & 18, Right front on 7 & 17, left rear on 6 & 16, and right rear on 5 & 15; if they're not numbered, 6 & 16 are in-line with the holding-clip part of the connector, with 6 being closest to the clip. 6 is blu/yel; 16 is gry/wht. The connector (wire-harness end) is light blue.

This is from the '01 Electrical Troubleshooting Manual.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Zrelaxed,

I am hoping the service manual I ordered has the answer to that question. I have also read conflicting posts about external amps and never had anyone confirm the config in the base MDX. If the manual answers the question, I'll post it here.

However, I have a question for you: where do you plan to route the wires from the head unit to the drivers seat? I would be *very* interested to see pictures of your install as I am still trying to figure out how I can run wires from the head unit to the drivers seat and have it look professional. Will you need to remove the seat?

frostyra,

Does that manual show how the tweeters are wired? Several posts mention that they are wired to the head unit instead of coming off the front speakers harness. That would be interesting info...

·
Registered
306 Posts
kanuck, it is pretty easy to run the wires from the head to the seat. that is where i ran all of mine. i just ran them inside the center console. you might have to pull the seat. i ran mine under the passengers seat and pulled it hide it really good. you might could hide them without pulling the seat.

·
Registered
54 Posts
slackass,

Could you give more details how you did that? Could you describe how you went from the back of the head unit, inside the console (I assume), under the seat, things you had to remove, pull off, whatever? I think that information would be great for other members of this forum.

Thanks.

·
Registered
306 Posts
It is really pretty simple. I removed the factory head unit first. Then, there are panels on each side of the center console. These run from just under the dash to just past the seats, right against the floor. They pop off with a little work. Nothing to unscrew, just snaps. After you get the panels off, it is just matter of fishing the wires down thru. There is a spot toward the back of the panel, about even with the seats, that has a pretty deep channel. This is where I took the wires out and under to the seat. There are wires under the seat already so, I just fished my wires out the same holes. The brain for my Eclipse is under the passenger's seat and I have a cd changer under the driver's seat. I did not even have to take the driver's seat out to run the wires but, I did the passenger's seat. The brain has alot of wires. I hope this helps. Let me know if you need any more help or info.

·
Registered
54 Posts
slackass,

Thanks for the info! Can't wait to try it... Now I just need to figure out the wiring coming out of the Base head unit so I can pick a line output converter and amp...

By the way, How many wires did you run inside the console? Just to get an idea... I probably will need to run speaker wire, power (red) and turn-on (blue) and a patch cable. Do you think all these will fit in there?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
306 Posts
There is tons of room, once you get the panels off you will see. I have my Eclipse 7002 in the dash. It has a din cable, probably 3/4" in diameter running from their to the brain. An antennae extention cable from the factory plug to the brain. Also, the wires connected to the factory plug via a metra adapter, probably 10-12 wires, to the brain. I also have my cd changer wires run in there and I even mounted my crossovers, one on each side of the console. Pop the panels off and you will see. You can run whatever you want in their.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
"frostyra,

Does that manual show how the tweeters are wired? Several posts mention that they are wired to the head unit instead of coming off the front speakers harness. That would be interesting info..."

Kanuck--wires for the left and right front speaker systems go from the head unit to the driver's-side and passenger's-side fuse/relay boxes. Then they split and go to the door speakers AND through the power mirror wiring to the right and left tweeters. Wire colors TO the mirrors are blu/grn & gry/blk (driver's) and red/grn & brn/blk (passenger's). Colors from the mirrors to the tweeters are red & grn (both sides). Hope this helps.

·
Registered
54 Posts
frostyra - thanks. that's strange, though, because i took the tweeter pod and front door speakers out last night and noticed that the front speakers connector has 4 wires connected to it, as opposed to the connectors on the rear door speakers which have 2. the wires match the colors you mentioned except that there is two of each. when i saw that i assumed that - like my previous 3 Hondas - the tweeters are simply connected from the front speaker harness. sounds like a minor detail but if that were the case, then it means that it's possible to put component speakers without removing the door panel. i just could not find another explanation for the 4 wires...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Zrelazed, i finally got the service manual. To answer your original question, the Base MDX has NO external amp (other than sub amp). The power comes from the head unit. The Touring (Bose) has an external amp connected to the speaker outputs of the head unit. The wiring is not all that different between the two models except for that amp and the twiddler.

I strongly recommend the service manual to everyone who plans to make mods to their X. It has EVERYTHING about the car. It shows all the electrical wiring, where clips are on panels, in which order to remove things, etc... Really, really happy I got it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts