Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sprinkled through a lot of threads, I have seem posts of people debating the merits of the $2600 Touring upgrade. In my buying process, I researched this a lot and thought I would share my observations for those of you on the fence. Here is what you get in the Touring package:

Michelin tires (base=Goodyears) + $250 approx
Different style wheels + $ ?? matter of taste
8-way power pass seat + $500 or more dealer??
Remote linked seat memory +$ ??
Pass mirror down-link in reverse + $ ??
In-dash 6 disk CD changer + $500 or more dealer??
Bose system upgrade + $ not much
Roof Rack + $273

Another thing to consider: Resale value after three years on the Base = 60%, and on the Touring = 58%. If you do the math, your Touring will be worth $774 more in three years. So, assuming you keep the MDX 3 years, and ignoring the time value of money, the Touring package will cost you a net $1826. source: Fifth Third Bank (can you tell I work in finance?)

Bottom line: It is up to you to decide if the above options are worth $1826 to you over 3 years. In my case, it is a tossup. I ended up ordering the Touring, but told my dealer if a Base came in I would take it!

Hope this helps, and happy X'ing

:)

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
My preference was always towards the Base + Nav. Touring has a couple of good things, but mainly the tires, memory seat is ok.
I never used a roof rack when I had them before, the extra power seat is fine, but mostly once its adjusted doesn't change much (in my case). The Bose only sucks a little bit less than stock. I prefer a changer like a Pioneer anyway.
Tiltdown mirror, I plan to install a back up alarm anyway.
Big problem is finding a Base with Navi. The least available model.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Regrets...

The main reason I chose the Touring package was the "upgraded" Bose stereo system. It sounded nice at the dealer but I was more concerned with the test drive to pay too much attention. Big mistake. The upgraded (but still stock) system in my Subaru Outback Limited, which my Mother now drives, sounded worlds better. Now she can really enjoy listening to her Kenny Rogers CD's while I'm faced with upgrading some of my speakers (Infinity's, as many have recommended).
The roof rack looked to be a wash but I understand that Thule has some new product to support (no pun) it.
The wheels do look cooler and the tires are great.
Power seats with memory, blah blah blah, are O.K.. Shoulda been standard.
I actually do use the tilt down rear view mirror every time I back out of my tight garage space!
I thought it was better to get all these things (Touring) at the outset rather than dealing with them after I took delivery but in hindsight I probably should have done things differently; it's really no hassle spending the time to make this vehicle even better than it already is, it's just a labor of love!
There is, however, one major regret; I SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN NAVIGATION!!!

·
Registered
250 Posts
I am happy I selected the touring, if only for the power passenger
seat. For me, there is no monetary value attached to it. It gives
the MDX a much more luxury feel and most any time my wife rides
the MDX, she is in the passenger seat and I want her to feel
the luxury of the vehicle. Now, I know the seat is not adjusted
too much, but when she wants to adjust it, all she has to do
is push a button. "Touring package $2600 extra, satisfaction
of knowing my wife gets to experience the luxury, 'Priceless' ".....

·
Registered
818 Posts
I got the base MDX and have not had any regrets. I have added a used 6 disk Apline CD-Changer for $200. I have also added a full size spare (base tire and rim for $80 on eBay). I have no regrets abount not getting the Nav but I do not travel as much as others on this site. I drove the Touring model when I was deciding on my purchase and did not find it was worth what you got for the extra money IMHO.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another decision I faced was the Navi or not, and originally I wanted it. However, after playing with it at the dealer I ended up changing my mind.

The reason was the limited coverage the Navi has outside major metro areas. I live in Kansas City, and the coverage in the city was Ok, but travel out in the country anywhere in Kansas or Missouri and .......nothing!! I next checked out Dayton, OH where I used to live. The Navi for the smaller cities (Dayton) was also sparse, it did not have the suburb or street where I used to live. Since I know KC very well, and usually fly on my trips, the Navi will be of limited use to me, and I decided to spend the $2 grand elsewhere.

I admit it is cool though, and if I lived on the east or west coast close to major metro areas I would have it! Us people in the heartland of the US will still have to rely on our sextants, indian guides, or follow the wagon trails ahead of us....:D

·
Registered
38 Posts
I got the touring pkge and am very glad I did. It is a little high priced but worth it. The 6 in dash changer is great. No under the seat changer or glove box like many cars. IMHO the bose system sounds great for a vehicle, but I'm no audiophite.

The power passenger seat and memory for drivers seat makes it worth the cost. I'm the main driver but my wife takes it on weekend chore running and I don't have to fool around adjusting the seat Monday morning. That would be a pain. On long trips, the power passenger seat makes it easy to adjust for a quick nap and back up to normal for wife and me.

The Michelin tires are so much better than the Goodyear. Calkc2 only put a value of $250 but would cost approx $520 ($130 ea.) to buy a set.

IMHO, in a few years,I think the touring will have greater resale value than the base. Look at other cars, base models are always worth way less.

When buying a new vehicle, why not get it the way you want and spend a little extra. After all, you did by an MDX and not a explorer!!

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I will say it totally depends how long people are keeping their X. For most of us, we will keep it for a long time.

I am planning to keep it until the end of its life, so I decide to get the touring, which I think it is best for me.

Touring package not only gives you better audio system (BOSE + 6 discs changer + 8 speakers), but also give you roof rack + memory seating + tilted side mirror while reversing and more. The memory buttons are not only adjust the driver side seat, but also adjust the outside mirrors, which I think is a BIG plus. :)

I also believe Touring model could go for resale much faster than Base model. WHY? if you compare at the 60% resale price, the different between touring and base will be around $1500. I am sure more people are welling to paid that money to get the upgraded model. ;)

- JTM

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I prefer Base + Navigation

We plan on keeping our MDX for a long time (probably 8 to 10 years) so resale value difference will not be much of an issue. My preference is for the Base MDX with Navigation. It meets our needs perfectly. My thinking on the options available in the Touring package is as follows:

Michelin tires - not a big deal, Goodyears will be upgraded when they wear out.
Different style wheels - I prefer the look of the base model wheels, touring wheels look too much like those on older Jeep Grand Cherokees.
8-way power pass seat - useless to me, you set it once and forget it.
Remote linked seat memory - nice feature which should have been standard, but not absolutely essential.
Pass mirror down-link in reverse - same as remote linked seat memory.
In-dash 6 disk CD changer - nice feature, but mostly listen to radio, I would only use it when going on long trips (which isn't very often), the rest of the time my CDs are stored in a CD juke box at home.
Bose system upgrade - not a significant enough difference (aside from 6-disk in-dash changer) to justify additional expense.
Roof Rack - factory roof rack is useless for my purposes, planned on installing Yakima rack to gain flexibility and to support my existing Yakima attachments.

To summarize, the only items in the Touring package that would have been marginally useful in our situation were memory seats and mirrors, and possibly 6-disk in-dash cd changer. In my mind, these items were not worth the extra $2,600. I chose to spend this money on Navigation and on some aditional accessories (see signature).

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I'm with you MGMDX but to try to find a Base + Navi now is very difficult, unless you are willing to wait long, and will take any color.
I know, I've done a lot of calls, emails, drop-ins, etc.
The Nav is essential to me. It is too good a thing to pass up.
But I did land a tour+nav just an hour ago at the high desert.
It's a GG at MSRP no forced options, but I am having the full tow pkg installed ($900).
Plus they pick us up at LAX or ontario for the ride in, and we drive home in our baby. End of April. Build is 4/09 to 4/13.
(they work Saturday?)
Well, at least it's not Friday the 13th!
I still think the touring is a bit of a rip for the price. about 1500 - 1800 would have been about right, considering how little it costs them to add a few things.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wlind quote: "The Michelin tires are so much better than the Goodyear. Calkc2 only put a value of $250 but would cost approx $520 ($130 ea.) to buy a set."

Wlind: I used approx $250 as the INCREMENTAL cost of the Michelins over the Goodyears, which is the cost of upgrading to the Touring Michelin tires.

·
Registered
48 Posts
i have a 2001 base premium w/o nav. the ff reasons i have why i chose this is:

based on my test drive with both the touring and the base, both have the same ride quality. can't judge the difference in tires at all.

as for the audio system, tried out the BOSE and seems a grand am audio system is way better. so better off taking the base model and just upgrade your system to your liking.

i would have opted for the touring if there is a major difference in terms of the engines. but from the way i see it, its still has the same engine as the base no mods or any increase in power (unlike bmw x5) that is why they have the right to increase there price a bit because you gain something big out of the models they have.

but to sum it up, its really up to us what we want right???

·
Registered
12 Posts
Interesting discussion: We ordered (on a lease) a Touring with Nav. Memory drivers seat + mirror and powered passenger seat was main, albeit expensive, reason for choosing the touring model. My wife and I both drive our Ody and find it a real pain adjusting seats each time.

I test drove Touring and base and also felt the Michelin's had a smoother ride - admittedly it was a subjective impression. The Bose system definitely sounds better than the standard unit but as we're no audiophiles (and we're leasing), there's no point in ripping out or upgrading it. I'm sure I could find more reasons to justify our $2600 choice but would probably need a couple of weeks to do so...

·
Registered
206 Posts
Dale,

I had a minivan for 7 years before getting the MDX. It had a roof rack and I never used it. Unfortunately, the roof rack on my MDX cost me a broken heel. I was washing the MDX a couple of weeks after I got it, and noticed there were still water drops from the front cross bar on the roof rack. I reached to dry it, my step stool started to topple, I pulled it back so it wouldnt hit the MDX, and fell. Crutches for 2 1/2 months, just got off them 1 week ago, still have pain to walk (for about 2 months more).

To me, the only value of the roof rack is just as trim, the same as I felt with my minivan. As for the touring package, every car I looked at I pretty much check all the premium packages off. Actually, the main reason was my son wanted passanger electric seats that go up. That was an expensive option. But then, as long as Im spending the money (actually half was from my dad), it wasnt that much more. Some people are paying $2K plus for nothing, just to get an MDX.

That is nice that the dealer is going to pick you up at the airport. Mine took me to get the car, but my salesguy turned out to live 2 miles from me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I haven't seen the value of the Touring package. I feel I could do better with my $2600 in upgrading my sound system and wheels/tires. The rest of the options were just "rice" in my eyes.

Having said that, I'd rather have my MDX in any trim level than any comparable vehicle.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Right on!

...and I'd just like to say that blacura has the coolest user name I've seen in quite a while! Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
595 Posts
HI..

BOSTONX.. I FEEL YOUR PIAN..

I AM VERY GLAD THAT I GOT THE TOURING.. CAUSE I REALLY HATE TO HAVE THE CD CHANGERS UNDER THE
SEAT.. THAT WAY I CAN'T CHANGE CDS WHILE DRIVING..

I DON'T LISTEN TO VERY VERY VERY LOUD MUSIC.. SO THE BOSE WORKS GREAT FOR ME..

THE EXTRA 8 WAY SEAT MAKE MY MOM REALLY HAPPY, THAT'S WORTH MORE THEN 2000 TO ME..

AND MY COUSIN LOVES THE 2 ND REMOTE WITH MEMOERY SEAT.. (WHICH IS BAD NEWS FOR ME..)

DON'T REALLY KNOW ABOUT THE TIRE.. CAUSE NEVER HAVE THE BASE MODEL..

ONE THING I HATE MY SELF FOR.. IS THAT I DIDN'T GET NAVI..

I THOGUHT I CAN LIVE WITHOUT IT.. I THOUGHT IT WAS JUST SOME TOY TO SHOW OFF..

UNTILL I WAS LOST... SIGH..

ANWAYS.. GET THE TOURING + NAVI IF YOU HAVE THE MONEY.. (4000 IS ONLY 1/10 OF WHAT YOU SPEND ON THE CAR!!)

GOOD LUCK ON FINDING THE RIGHT X.

^___^

TYP

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
TYP said:
HI..

BOSTONX.. I FEEL YOUR PIAN..

I AM VERY GLAD THAT I GOT THE TOURING.. CAUSE I REALLY HATE TO HAVE THE CD CHANGERS UNDER THE
SEAT.. THAT WAY I CAN'T CHANGE CDS WHILE DRIVING..

In our present car we have a 12 disk changer under the passengers seat. I actually prefer it because the CDs are neatly handled in a cartridge, a small display gives you lots of information, and the little remote enables you to over ride any programming in an instant. When stopped I can easily reach down under the passenger's seast and swap out cartridges. No loose disks floating around. Of course with 12, I don't need to do that often. I guess it's all what you are used to. If the mechanism were ever to mess up it is very easy to isolate the problem. Having the meachanism jam up in the dash, is not a pleasant thought.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the props, BostonX. I must say that this site was a wealth of information in deciding which trim/accessories would be right for my vehicle. I definately see where the value in the Touring would lie if my needs were different... And I agree that there is no reason the 8 way seat shouldn't be standard for the passenger too.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts