Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had a rather loud wind noise develop while driving on the highway during a strong crosswind? It seems to come from the windshield at the top. Have had it at the dealer but could not duplicate necessary conditions for it to appear. Help!

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Yes wind noise can get rather loud ...

... during high winds at high speeds:(

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wind Noise

Yes, I experienced it too while driving through the Palm Springs area yesterday where it's always windy (It's so windy there that they have wind mill farms to generate electricity!). It seems to me to be coming from either the roof rack or from around the driver's window and it sounds like notes from a flute or clarinet. Most of them were short bursts of sound but some went on for a good 4 to 5 seconds. I believe they were in the key of G.

·
Registered
1 Posts
windnoise around windshield

I too have had this problem. At speeds above 70 with crosswinds from right to left I have experienced the same "flute" effect. I have done the screening spline/foam treatment as described elsewhere and that didn't seem to help. However, I tried something else and it seemed to work. It appears as though when the power windows are closed completely, the frame/window vibrate rapidly, creating this noice. I nudged the window button just enough to release the pressure on the door jam without openning the window and the vibration stopped. No idea if this will work for everyone but it seems to have worked for me. Would appreciate hearing if anyone else tries this and it works....

·
Registered
339 Posts
Re: windnoise around windshield on driver side

cdkdshaw said:
I too have had this problem. At speeds above 70 with crosswinds from right to left I have experienced the same "flute" effect. I have done the screening spline/foam treatment as described elsewhere and that didn't seem to help. However, I tried something else and it seemed to work. It appears as though when the power windows are closed completely, the frame/window vibrate rapidly, creating this noice. I nudged the window button just enough to release the pressure...
:(

Originally my MDX had started demonstrated this problem at about 85 miles per hour but now it is happening now more frequently even at about 70 miles per hour.

The sympton has become more obvious with heavy cross wind situation especially when wild come from right to left (when I can see debris flying from right to left). I can also duplicate the problem when I passes the 18 wheeler on the fast lane. During passing it would be quiet but I can almost count 1 - 2 - 3, as soon as I pass the truck, I can hear the whistle then.

The noise is not only very bother-some as noise, it is actually showing the sign that the air has successfully penitrated into the body at that instance so I can feel a slight sensation of the MDX vibrates. Think in term of the physics, the vehiecle has encountered more resistance when the air is coming through and becoming direct resistance. Therefore I feel this whistle problem with vibration is not only a noise problem but also a safety issue.

Unfortunately my MDX is at 65K miles and has no warranty. I thought I could tolerate it a few years ago because it was not so common on a local use. However, this problem makes a long trip now less enjoyable.

I don't like the idea of having to adjust the window down becase doing so actually leads more air coming into the body. This approach sounds like poking a hole bigger so one does not want to hear water dripping.

Could someone point out a fix? If this is a matter of seal, is this where window hit the top part or where the car door seal?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I don't currently have this problem with my MDX, but did with my previous car (an Integra with frameless windows). The test that cdkdshaw proposes would be useful to determine where the leak is occurring.

If this is a side window sealing issue, it means the seal has disengaged from the window glass. By jogging the window control momentarily, you are not actually opening the window at all, but causing the window to (hopefully) catch the seal again as it moves. My experience is that this is a temporary fix, though. Oddly enough, what finally fixed the problem on the Integra was coating the seals with Vaseline.

It sounds like the problem is on the passenger side. If jogging the window causes the problem to disappear, you may want to consider lubricating the seal or getting the glass travel adjusted. If the glass run channel is damaged, it will be checked and replaced during the glass adjustment.

After checking the window seal, you can check the weatherstripping on the door. There are actually two seals on the door - inner and outer. If you can narrow down the specific location of the air leak (have a passenger help) that may help you.

The front door glass run channel is approximately a $30 part.
The upper (outer) seal and inner (weatherstrip) seal are about $20 each.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Re: Wind Noise

dl24600 said:
Yes, I experienced it too while driving through the Palm Springs area yesterday where it's always windy (It's so windy there that they have wind mill farms to generate electricity!). It seems to me to be coming from either the roof rack or from around the driver's window and it sounds like notes from a flute or clarinet. Most of them were short bursts of sound but some went on for a good 4 to 5 seconds. I believe they were in the key of G.
Wow! same location where I experienced the same noise. We were on a 3 week road trip last summer when we passed PalmSpring when we experienced the noise.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts