Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bad Accident, Extensive Damage, But Not a Scratch on Me

I was very, very, lucky tonight. While driving home from a business trip on the outer loop of the DC Beltway, my new 2003 Redrock was hit by a tire that was either a re-tread or had come off a truck. It happened so quickly I did not even have time to react. I was in the left lane in the flow of traffic when all of a sudden there is an airborne tire that came over the median barrier and was headed right toward me. It severed the roof pillar in front of the passenger seat, ripped a hole in the roof and smashed through the windshield and sunroof. Glass was everywhere but I was able to keep the vehicle in control and pull over to the shoulder. The X never waivered and the structural integrity probably saved me from any injury. I walked away shaken but without a scratch. If the tire had hit on the driver's side I would have been seriously hurt.

I am trying to keep this all in perspective as the vehicle can be either repaired or replaced. Right now I feel incredibly fortunate.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your accident. I'm glad you're okay. It seems like you and the X both performed well under pressure.

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
Wow, what an incident... looks like both you and the X, performed admirably in a pressure situation... Good news, and I'm glad you're alright...:4:

·
Registered
840 Posts
Dude, go RIGHT ahead and sue everbody and everything related. Exercise your American right! That is just rediculous. If I were a lawyer in the DC area I would take your case FOR FREE!!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Glad you are ok. Good job of staying calm with so much chaos around you.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Yikes. Glad you're okay. You did really well in handling the situation, keeping your vehicle under control. Some would have freaked and lost it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Congrats!!

Good driving to keep all under control under those circumstances. Where on the Beltway were you? Hopefully you can get another MDX or have repairs done quickly!

·
Registered
259 Posts
You're very lucky, and I'm glad to hear you weren't hurt. You're right in saying that in the big picture, the X can be fixed. Congrats.

2003 SS MDX - cdn model - res,back up sensor,cargo net,Husky all weather floor mats and cargo tray

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I am glad you are okay.

Keep us post on the outcome (repair/replace?) And if possible, take a few pictures of your X.

·
Registered
595 Posts
OMG...

Guess what..

This past weekend.. on my way home from SD, I saw a flying tire that just flew out from a white minivan and bounce on the other freeway ( I think it was 215 I was on 15 N)...

I guess this kind of things happenes everywhere?...

Glad you are ok! hope your insurance will cover everything.

:eek:

·
Registered
37 Posts
I guess your were BLESSED and GOD's hand was right on top of yours handling that wheel so that harm was spared to you and others on the road. May our Lord continue to protect over your.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Many thanks for all the kind words, it is really appreciated. We all love our MDX's but remember that in the big scheme of things it's just a car.

Here is an update... filed an insurance claim last night and spoke to the adjuster assigned to my case early this morning after she viewed the vehicle. It is repariable and they will be replacing the entire roof section. There is only very minor damage to the front bumper and nothing to the hood or fenders. All of the damage was isolated to the roof so from a repair standpoint this is good. I also spoke to my dealer, got their body shop recommendation, and will be visiting the facility tomorrow before making a decision. This particular shop has extensive experience with Acuras and has even repaired a few MDX's. However, if there are any DC area members in Maryland who have a recommendation I am all ears.

The bad news is that I am looking at 6-8 weeks in the shop, maybe even longer depending on the availability of parts. My concerns center around the structural integrity of the vehicle after such an extensive repair. Glass was everywhere so there is a liklihood of damage to the dash, center console and seats. I asked how this would be handled and was told that if there was any damage to these components they would be replaced. I was assured by my insurance company Geico that only Acura replacement parts would be used. So far I am hearing all the right things and will stay on top of the work as it is completed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Congrats!!

TopDog said:
Good driving to keep all under control under those circumstances. Where on the Beltway were you? Hopefully you can get another MDX or have repairs done quickly!
Top Dog

I was on the outer loop westbound, headed towards the 270/495 split. It happened around 7:00 pm so you know what the traffic is like. As I mentioned the tire seemed to come out of nowhere and have no idea where it went after hitting me.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Good to hear all is well with you. Had to add my voice to commend you on keeping your cool and handling the situation so well. I hope I would do as well. I am also interested in opinions on structural integrity and whether your X will be good as new when repaired. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Dirk55 said:
Here is an update... filed an insurance claim last night and spoke to the adjuster assigned to my case early this morning after she viewed the vehicle. It is repariable and they will be replacing the entire roof section. There is only very minor damage to the front bumper and nothing to the hood or fenders. All of the damage was isolated to the roof so from a repair standpoint this is good. I also spoke to my dealer, got their body shop recommendation, and will be visiting the facility tomorrow before making a decision. This particular shop has extensive experience with Acuras and has even repaired a few MDX's. However, if there are any DC area members in Maryland who have a recommendation I am all ears.
Dirk,

With my experience with GEICO, they will offer OEM parts if car is less than 5 years old (It might be hard to find the aftermarket parts for MDX anyway).

Depends where you are in Maryland, you might also consider Pohanka Body Shop in Chantilly, VA. I went to their body shop facility before and I like their environment. Since they are associate with Pohanka dealerships (Acura, Lexus, and more) I believe they could do the job RIGHT with right parts.

Good luck with your repairs. Hope you could get back your X soon.

·
Registered
49 Posts
May God bless you!

I live in Canada and everytime I go to US seeing the re-tread tires at the side of the highway, I always wonder what if my car was hit while the truck in front of me re-tread. Now I know how it is and how it's going to feel too! What a terrible experience. I am really glad that you are safe in one piece.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'm really glad you're okay. You sound like a level-headed sort of person with your priorities in the right place, and I hope everything works out to your satisfaction.

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
You can always replace the X. . . glad you're alright!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts