Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 Advance. Every so often when putting the vehicle into reverse, the backup camera image may take several seconds to appear on the screen (once it was up to 5 seconds). A few times I have driven tens of feet in reverse before the camera came on (safety issue). Any of else experience this and if so, have you been able to correct it? It's hard to replicate, although I was at the dealer today and they noticed this as well (but we have yet to come up with a fix). In addition, occasionally when starting the vehicle and then putting it into reverse, the backup camera image will appear in black and white, then change to full color after about 2 seconds.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I’ve had the black-and-white issue happen. It’s rare, for me, but I’ve seen it.

When your camera doesn’t display, is it only right after you start the MDX? Acura released a TSB for navigation system issues stating the CPU is maxed out after vehicle start, and to wait at least 15 seconds after starting the car before changing into reverse or drive, to allow the infotainment system to boot.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I’ve had the black-and-white issue happen. It’s rare, for me, but I’ve seen it.

When your camera doesn’t display, is it only right after you start the MDX? Acura released a TSB for navigation system issues stating the CPU is maxed out after vehicle start, and to wait at least 15 seconds after starting the car before changing into reverse or drive, to allow the infotainment system to boot.
15 seconds is terrible, almost as bad as the lag with Infiniti's latest 2 screen infotainment system where you have to wait like 30 seconds before shifting into reverse to allow the system to boot up. My current FX uses their old system and with seconds of starting up the backup camera comes on. If I had to wait 15 seconds every time I started up before shifting into reverse that would get on my nerves relatively quickly.

Wondering if the 2018 update to infotainment added any extra horsepower for the cpu and/or cut back on bloat that taxes system resources?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
15 seconds is terrible, almost as bad as the lag with Infiniti's latest 2 screen infotainment system where you have to wait like 30 seconds before shifting into reverse to allow the system to boot up. My current FX uses their old system and with seconds of starting up the backup camera comes on. If I had to wait 15 seconds every time I started up before shifting into reverse that would get on my nerves relatively quickly.
Yes, it’s annoying. I’m not defending it... just passing along what Acura says.

Wondering if the 2018 update to infotainment added any extra horsepower for the cpu and/or cut back on bloat that taxes system resources?
AFAIK, yes. A new law requires 2018 models to have backup cameras, and there are metrics that manufactures must meet/exceed to be considered compliant. One of those metrics is a maximum time between engine on, gear shift, and backup image visible. Several manufacturers have had to tweak their systems for 2018 to be compliant.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Yes, it’s annoying. I’m not defending it... just passing along what Acura says.
I know, was just expressing my frustration that it seems most manufacturers have this lag problem and it appeared to be getting worse year after year.

AFAIK, yes. A new law requires 2018 models to have backup cameras, and there are metrics that manufactures must meet/exceed to be considered compliant. One of those metrics is a maximum time between engine on, gear shift, and backup image visible. Several manufacturers have had to tweak their systems for 2018 to be compliant.
Well that's good to know, I'll check it out when I go look at 2019's. Although if the lag wasn't always present in 2017 and only sporadic I probably wouldn't notice it anyway

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
...(once it was up to 5 seconds). A few times I have driven tens of feet in reverse before the camera came on (safety issue).
You should simply never backup if you think the conditions are unsafe. The camera is just an aid - not a guarantee. I don't see this as a big deal or a real safety issue - just an annoyance and something that can easily be mitigated by being careful and waiting just a few seconds at times.

To your points - I've experienced both the lag and the b/w a few times in my 2014 MDX. The b/w just a few times in 5 years and only for a second or so before it turns color and the delays of more than about 2-3 seconds just a handful of times. Personally I think the system s/b designed so this would never happen, and it wouldn't be a difficult thing to achieve, so I'm not making excuses but OTOH it's really not a big deal and not a safety issue since you can just wait all of up to 5 seconds (in your experience) and then it's operational.

I don't think there's anything defective in your particular unit causing this - it's just not within the design parameters to be as responsive a system as I, and you, think it s/b.

Somehow I've driven for many decades, including over 30 years of driving SUVs, none of my vehicles had a backup camera until this MDX, yet I've never backed into anything. I do like the backup camera and I think it adds some safety convenience but just twisting one's head and being aware of surroundings accomplishes the task as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.