Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2010 MDX w/ Tech package

I am going to attempt it this weekend. From the datasheet, it appears the video signal is simple composite.

I bought this camera- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075ZPNL7J/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The main concern for me is how the navi screen will detect... because if you unplug the oem camera it will NOT switch over when you put it in reverse. The best guess I have is the navi screen does not look for the reverse switch... it is probably just sensing a video signal on the composite line just like most aftermarket lcd displays do.

The secondary concern is how do i mount it without it looking like crap, but that shouldn't be too hard.

wish me luck. I have not found anywhere someone who actually replaced the oem camera with an aftermarket one.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I will absolutely be waiting to hear how it goes, man! Without a doubt, this backup cam issue is one of the biggest black eyes on the MDX name. It's ridiculous that $20k vehicles have better backup camera performance than our "luxury" vehicles do.

Regs,
Jeff

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will absolutely be waiting to hear how it goes, man! Without a doubt, this backup cam issue is one of the biggest black eyes on the MDX name. It's ridiculous that $20k vehicles have better backup camera performance than our "luxury" vehicles do.

Regs,
Jeff

I'm fairly confident it will work. I'm waiting for this hangover to subside... I had too much fun last night?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lol it totally works. it was a little tricky figuring out the wiring because i have the manual for the base model mdx... it doesnt show the tech package wiring. but i figured it out.

You lose the change view functionality... oh well... the picture is way better, not grainy at all and super smooth framerate. i think thats why the OEM camera has 6 wires going to it, because some of them are to change the camera views. when you push the navi button, the display says its changing views to top down and wide or whatever, but the picture always looks the same. however it does still change the lines diagrams, so you still have some options how you want those to look which is nice.

ill write up a tutorial... im going to permanently install all of this now. i dont think mounting is a problem at all, just screw it to the plastic shroud where the OEM camera used to be. The OEM is mounted in a way that makes it hard to steal... but this is $35 so who cares.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some key takeaways-

The stock camera is obviously much fancier. There is image processing going on that the aftermarket camera doesn't have. This is how the stock camera, despite being offset to the side, still looks centered on the screen. It also does the viewing angle changes, and the top down view (which i admit was nice). Had it not been for the horrible night time clarity, I would have just bought a $75 replacement off ebay.

So this aftermarket camera shows exactly the angle its mounted at, and thats that. With this one even pointed very horizontal, you can still see the bumper on the left side. However this doesn't bother me because since I dont have top down view anymore at least i can still see when things get very close to the bumper.

I almost got the little shroud on too. It just doesnt quite fit if you use the bracket the camera came with. I could probably take the bracket off and get the shroud to fit, but I don't think it looks bad like this so i'm leaving it alone. Maybe if you have a gray or white car you might want to modify the mounting to get the stock shroud on there.

And the lines are weird now. They're obviously generated with an algorithm that tries to match the angle of the camera. With the aftermarket camera, theyre just ****ed. The camera does have its own lines I could turn on, but i dont know if i can turn the stock ones off...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here are some pictures. video soon.

You can see in the last one the wiring hookup. I wouldn't go by the colors you see though, yours may be different. Look at the stock wiring in the car. On the car wiring side (not the connector side) the small black wire is the video+. The red wire is video negative (i know, weird). And you need to tie the green and yellow wire together or else the camera won't signal to the navi screen to switch over when its in reverse. I did not try to draw power from the stock wiring, it appears to run on 3v only. My camera needs 12v, so i just pulled that from one of the backup lights.

https://imgur.com/a/X4ww1BU

·
Registered
201 Posts
Many thanks for the info on your backup camera upgrade. Looks like a real improvement. Too bad Honda didn't spend a couple of extra dollars to provide a real backup cam for the second gen MDX. However, I have a slightly different question. If an improved aftermarket camera can be retro-fitted to a second gen, is it possible to do the same thing with the 3rd gen MDX backup camera? From my experience with dealer loaners, it looks like Honda finally got the memo and included a good cam in the 3rd gen vehicles. Anyone try swapping one for the original lousy 2nd gen cam?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Many thanks for the info on your backup camera upgrade. Looks like a real improvement. Too bad Honda didn't spend a couple of extra dollars to provide a real backup cam for the second gen MDX. However, I have a slightly different question. If an improved aftermarket camera can be retro-fitted to a second gen, is it possible to do the same thing with the 3rd gen MDX backup camera? From my experience with dealer loaners, it looks like Honda finally got the memo and included a good cam in the 3rd gen vehicles. Anyone try swapping one for the original lousy 2nd gen cam?
most likely you can... probably not plug and play, and dont count on switching camera views.

the oem camera IS high quality. I opened mine up and it's a real intricate device. I think all of the image processing for the multiple views happen inside the camera module itself.

but, yes, the night vision isnt great and to me id rather have that over multiple views. all i want the backup camera for is to know for sure im not backing into something or someone.

Also, i bought the wrong camera.. or at least theres a newer one- https://www.amazon.com/Backup-Water...24571356&sr=8-3&keywords=backup+camera+natika

it should be a bit better than the one i installed. At the end of the day, any backup camera that sends out on a composite signal will work, and thats basically all of them.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks again, trader007. It's a shame that you lose some of the functionality when sticking a replacement cam in there. I'm stuck in a bit of a quandary having 130k on my vehicle and having dealt with the craptastic backup camera for the past 7 years. Is it really worth it to me to upgrade the cam, or just live with it like I have been? Time will tell, but at least we know it's an option to do so... with your stated limitations. Thanks again for sharing!

Regards,
Jeff in Houston

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks again, trader007. It's a shame that you lose some of the functionality when sticking a replacement cam in there. I'm stuck in a bit of a quandary having 130k on my vehicle and having dealt with the craptastic backup camera for the past 7 years. Is it really worth it to me to upgrade the cam, or just live with it like I have been? Time will tell, but at least we know it's an option to do so... with your stated limitations. Thanks again for sharing!

Regards,
Jeff in Houston
if you like those options, then just add more backup lights to your car... like this- https://www.amazon.com/LUYED-illumi...8&qid=1524770023&sr=8-5&keywords=backup+light

i just BOUGHT my mdx with 130k on it! don't worry, that just means it's finally broken in. i took a ford ranger to 300,000 miles... i should be able to hit 400k with a honda :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
lol it totally works. it was a little tricky figuring out the wiring because i have the manual for the base model mdx... it doesnt show the tech package wiring. but i figured it out.

You lose the change view functionality... oh well... the picture is way better, not grainy at all and super smooth framerate. i think thats why the OEM camera has 6 wires going to it, because some of them are to change the camera views. when you push the navi button, the display says its changing views to top down and wide or whatever, but the picture always looks the same. however it does still change the lines diagrams, so you still have some options how you want those to look which is nice.

ill write up a tutorial... im going to permanently install all of this now. i dont think mounting is a problem at all, just screw it to the plastic shroud where the OEM camera used to be. The OEM is mounted in a way that makes it hard to steal... but this is $35 so who cares.
For the base model is the camera wires available inside the dash that one can tap into?

thanks

·
Registered
86 Posts

Regards,
Jeff in Houston
Realistically speaking, probably not worth it. How long do you drive backwards? 99.9% of the time we are moving forwards and for a brief moment we go in reverse and if it is in a wide open area, we dont even bother looking at the backup screen.

A lot of times, inadequate illumination results in grainy video because of the way the image chips adjust for lighting. Dont get me wrong, OEM cameras on Hondas/Acuras are crappier than a $15 Amazon purchase.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Regards,
Jeff in Houston
I would say, after half a year of driving with the aftermarket camera... i want to go back to OEM to get the features back. The quality of the video isn't THAT much better... its obviously limited by the video circuitry in the monitor, and the monitor quality itself. The aftermarket does doe better in low light, but just add brighter backup lights and the OEM was good enough.

That feature that shows the top down view on the OEM camera is bomb. Perfect for backing up into parking stalls or hooking up a trailer without hitting your bumper. I miss it, and I will be putting the OEM camera back in soon to get those features back.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My first reply to this forum. I have a '18 MDX with tech pkg. I have a permanent Harmar lift installed in the tow hitch. For this reason I had the backup camera [oem] moved to under the rear window rain guard. The installer only used double-faced tape though and it does not hold very well. Any suggestions for a better solution and keeps the clean lines?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello trader 007, I saw your post and after that I ordered a backup camera very similar to what you mentioned, from Amazon. However, I can't seem to figure out how to remove the backup camera that is currently on the MDX. I removed the screws on the long black plate plate that is right behind the camera. But the camera itself seems to be held by something that I can't figure out what. Is there a clip that I need to remove? I don't want to put to much pressure without knowing what to do and break something. If yo can give some instructions or attach a pic of how to remove the camera that will be great.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello trader 007, I saw your post and after that I ordered a backup camera very similar to what you mentioned, from Amazon. However, I can't seem to figure out how to remove the backup camera that is currently on the MDX. I removed the screws on the long black plate plate that is right behind the camera. But the camera itself seems to be held by something that I can't figure out what. Is there a clip that I need to remove? I don't want to put to much pressure without knowing what to do and break something. If yo can give some instructions or attach a pic of how to remove the camera that will be great.
Thanks in advance.
Not sure if it's still relevant, but you need to detach the entire plastic cover from INSIDE of tailgate. There's lots of clips to pry and they are sometimes easy to break. I find it helpful to work in hot conditions, when plastic isn't hard and fragile.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.