Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have a 2012 Acura MDX Advance. As you all probably know, the backup camera is horrible at night in certain situations where there is not much surrounding light. I've researched a lot and came to the conclusion that I either have to install aux lights or change the reverse lights. I know there is controversy with the reverse lights and the design, and a lot of people say it didn't make a difference when they changed the reverse bulbs. Others swear it makes a big difference. So I figured I would try the reverse light bulb change. I found these lights:

"AUXITO Error Free 912 921 T15 LED Bulbs 2000 Lumens Bright"

(just search Google and the Amazon page will pop up - the forum didn't let me post a direct url). They are $34.99 for a pack of 2 bulbs.

2000 lumens each bulb, and it says it's compatible with the MDX. I figure I would be able to try different orientations of the light bulb (since they said it doesn't turn into place like the standard light bulbs so I can play around with different positions to see which throws the best light for the backup camera.

What do you guys think? Am I wasting my time or has someone tried these lights or has any other bulb recommendations. The backup camera is decent, just at night when there is no light around you can't see a thing and it's pretty dangerous.

Thanks!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Nope, I have tried that exact led bulb along with more than 10 other top rated led bulbs from Amazon.
Here is a list of what I have already tried and although they were brighter than the stock bulb, the stupid Acura design of the housing and or reflector prevents the bulbs from emitting enough light.

The only one that I haven't installed yet but bought is this one. It's an external mounted one that has to be wired.

Hope this helps because I too am also looking for a replacement as one of my reverse lights just died a few days ago. What we need is a bulb with only leds on the tip facing outwards, the leds on the sides are totally useless. Either that or we need an aftermarket housing with better reflectors inside the housing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
669 Posts
You're just going to have to remove the rear hatch inside cover, find the green tape on the driver's side, near the light and run a wire from it thru the rubber boot, and down the side, to attach one of these:
$9

·
Registered
653 Posts
Thank you that is what I suspected. What about projector style led lights:

These ones look like the light faces outwards for the most part. Maybe would work better?

It will not, I have total of 90W (real wattage) flowing in to my led bulbs. You could spot it miles away lol, projects light far away, but there is barely any light on the ground.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You're just going to have to remove the rear hatch inside cover, find the green tape on the driver's side, near the light and run a wire from it thru the rubber boot, and down the side, to attach one of these:
$9
So is drilling into the MDX the only way to get the wire (nicely) in? Like in this video:

I was hoping it didn't have to come to that but it looks like that's the only solution at this point? I was even thinking of changing the license plate lights (they do point down after all) to something really crazy bright... Wonder if that would make a difference...

·
Registered
58 Posts
I am going to try external lights and will try to utilize the trailer harness wiring so that I don't have to drill or run wiring from the reverse light. Planning to mount the lights to my tow hitch.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am one that just decided to put an external light into play, replacing the stock backup lights never seemed to make any difference:

-Mojo

·
Registered
2007 MDX
11 Posts
I am one that just decided to put an external light into play, replacing the stock backup lights never seemed to make any difference:
View attachment 114558

-Mojo
I mounted an led 3”x5” on a naked 2” drawbar wired via trailer lights and a temp switch. Loved it, threw light for yards in the rear, but it stuck out the back of my rig almost a foot and I forgot that t was there twice and buried it in foliage during daylight hours. 😳
I solved my dilemma and I’ll post a pic in a few. Eating a snack at ur moment n

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just did mine yesterday. No drilling at all, used existing holes where the trim piece that covers the license plates lights and ran wiring behind camera housing and the other through the left license plate light. Entire back panel of inside tailgate was removed, a few wires spliced and run inside tailgate which only took about an hour. Super bright flood light and can now see while reversing.
20200324_190259.jpg

·
Registered
45 Posts
Modded11MDX

Where did you get your LED lights? They look great, match the camera quite well, and as you mentioned put out a lot of light. Did you wire them to go on with the backup lights? If so, did you use a relay or simply splice into the existing wires?
Great job on the lights.

Jim

·
Registered
2007 MDX
11 Posts
I mounted an led 3”x5” on a naked 2” drawbar wired via trailer lights and a temp switch. Loved it, threw light for yards in the rear, but it stuck out the back of my rig almost a foot and I forgot that t was there twice and buried it in foliage during daylight hours. 😳
I solved my dilemma and I’ll post a pic in a few. Eating a snack at ur moment n View attachment 114597
Bottom left on back of mud flap.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Modded11MDX

Where did you get your LED lights? They look great, match the camera quite well, and as you mentioned put out a lot of light. Did you wire them to go on with the backup lights? If so, did you use a relay or simply splice into the existing wires?
Great job on the lights.

Jim

I got mine a few years ago from Amazon but never got around to installing them link to my leds
I just wired them directly to the reverse light wiring, black- and dark brown+ using quick splice wiring terminals that were included with the lights. Easiest way is to remove the trim panel that covers the license plates lights and the backup camera, remove the entire inside tailgate trim pieces and cover then fish the wiring through the license plate lights on each end and fish them through the metal panels of the tailgate. Fishing the wires through are super easy without the plastic tailgate cover, so much room that even large hands can pass wires through to reach the reverse light wires no problem. The license plate light trim pieces is easily removed with just a phillips screwdriver. Inside panel and edge trim pieces require no tools at. Best thing is, I didn't have to drill a single hole to neatly run the wires, unlike that guy who did a backup light installation video on his brand new Maroon MDX.

So, all this cost me was less than $30 for the 2 lights and an hour of my time. Back in april of 2018, those lights were $14.95 each and now they are $12.95. Just make sure you test the leds on directly on your battery before installing so you know they work. Also using the quick splice terminals on the thin led wires was the hardest part of this install. As long as you can get past this part, the rest is super easy. Youtube has vids on how to remove the trim and tailgate inner panel and that made it really easy.

Good luck,
Keith

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just did mine yesterday. No drilling at all, used existing holes where the trim piece that covers the license plates lights and ran wiring behind camera housing and the other through the left license plate light. Entire back panel of inside tailgate was removed, a few wires spliced and run inside tailgate which only took about an hour. Super bright flood light and can now see while reversing. View attachment 114593 View attachment 114594 View attachment 114595 View attachment 114596
Nice Work! Going to grab one and try mounting it under my tow hitch, and tap the tow harness. (Or when that fails, go your route as that looks like a clean install)

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just did mine yesterday. No drilling at all, used existing holes where the trim piece that covers the license plates lights and ran wiring behind camera housing and the other through the left license plate light. Entire back panel of inside tailgate was removed, a few wires spliced and run inside tailgate which only took about an hour. Super bright flood light and can now see while reversing. View attachment 114593 View attachment 114594 View attachment 114595 View attachment 114596

·
Registered
45 Posts
I got mine a few years ago from Amazon but never got around to installing them link to my leds
I just wired them directly to the reverse light wiring, black- and dark brown+ using quick splice wiring terminals that were included with the lights. Easiest way is to remove the trim panel that covers the license plates lights and the backup camera, remove the entire inside tailgate trim pieces and cover then fish the wiring through the license plate lights on each end and fish them through the metal panels of the tailgate. Fishing the wires through are super easy without the plastic tailgate cover, so much room that even large hands can pass wires through to reach the reverse light wires no problem. The license plate light trim pieces is easily removed with just a phillips screwdriver. Inside panel and edge trim pieces require no tools at. Best thing is, I didn't have to drill a single hole to neatly run the wires, unlike that guy who did a backup light installation video on his brand new Maroon MDX.

So, all this cost me was less than $30 for the 2 lights and an hour of my time. Back in april of 2018, those lights were $14.95 each and now they are $12.95. Just make sure you test the leds on directly on your battery before installing so you know they work. Also using the quick splice terminals on the thin led wires was the hardest part of this install. As long as you can get past this part, the rest is super easy. Youtube has vids on how to remove the trim and tailgate inner panel and that made it really easy.

Good luck,
Keith
Thanks Keith

I just ordered a pair of these LED's and hope to install them soon. They were tough to find until I saw your link.

Once again, great looking install, and bright.

Regards

Jim

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Nice Work! Going to grab one and try mounting it under my tow hitch, and tap the tow harness. (Or when that fails, go your route as that looks like a clean install)
If I am not mistaken, the trailer harness only has brake lights and turn signals.The night before my install, I did a search on harnesses and their wiring, not one mentioned having reverse lights which is why I just went straight to the source. If you do want to mount it on your tow hitch, you could probably run the wire up near the tailgate hinge then down in the driver's side panel where the tow harness plugs into then down again under the panel where the jack is. Saw the videos where they just remove the rubber plug and you end up under the spare tire.

I was going to take pics of my install but my 6 year old daughter kept bugging me to hurry up so I could ride bike with her. (She is so bored due to the Corona virus mandatory everybody stay at home rule) Because of that rule, I actually ran out of things to do on my car. :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks Keith

I just ordered a pair of these LED's and hope to install them soon. They were tough to find until I saw your link.

Once again, great looking install, and bright.

Regards

Jim
Jim,
Let me know how long Amazon takes to ship your lights. Starting a few days ago, everything I tried to order says arrival date April 29th, I have prime but live in Hawaii where it usually takes 5 business days on average. I'm going to have to start doing more shopping on Ebay if Amazon is gonna take a month for normal items in stock.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Keith

Ordered from Luyed, on Amazon.ca. Order promises April 2 delivery date, but with the Covid-19, I am skeptical.
I will update this thread when the parts arrive.

Jim

1 - 20 of 27 Posts