Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

backup camera on 2002 models

12K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  raddray 
#1 ·
I was talking to Acura dealer yesterday about the possibility to have a rear view camera installed on 2002 models :) I was told that it's possible, but would require some major changes to Navigation system wiring :( They suggested that I just get 2003 car instead of dealing with those changes. This is really sad. I was hopping that I could get this nice camera from 2003 model on my 2002 'X.

My question is did any of you concidered to make this kind of change on theirs cars? Please post your thoughts here.

-mike

#2 ·
I really doubt it is MAJOR at all...

The kit for the Pilot lists around $770. It ought to be no more difficult to instal in the 01-02 MDX, as the Nav and wiring are probably 90%+ THE SAME.

Gee, do you think the $4,000 worth of PROFIT they'd see from you purchasing an 03 MDX might make 'em want to fudge a bit????

#3 ·
Re: I really doubt it is MAJOR at all...

renov8r said:
The kit for the Pilot lists around $770. It ought to be no more difficult to instal in the 01-02 MDX, as the Nav and wiring are probably 90%+ THE SAME.

Gee, do you think the $4,000 worth of PROFIT they'd see from you purchasing an 03 MDX might make 'em want to fudge a bit????
renov8r, do you know anything about kit for MDX?

#4 ·
Send a note to Tim at hondaacuraworld...

He might have already sold some of the kits and/or answered questions about it.

He is sponsor of the site and works at an Acura store as the parts mgr -- the profit to him is far different than the new vehicle sales folks.

#5 ·
luckymichael said:
I was talking to Acura dealer yesterday about the possibility to have a rear view camera installed on 2002 models :) I was told that it's possible, but would require some major changes to Navigation system wiring :( They suggested that I just get 2003 car instead of dealing with those changes. This is really sad. I was hopping that I could get this nice camera from 2003 model on my 2002 'X.

My question is did any of you concidered to make this kind of change on theirs cars? Please post your thoughts here.

-mike
Someone was able to put a 2003 camera on a 2002 Ody. Or you could go the custom way. Here's mine for your reference...

Attachments

#6 ·

Attachments

#7 ·
Back up camera

I was looking into this also. I downloaded the install instructions for the PILOT kit and it's pretty simple. I haven't looked at the NAV DVD player to see if it has the plug that is required. Also not sure if the screen would automatically switch when the car is put in reverse. I'm tempted to try it but the kit is so damn expensive. I also looked on the NAV menu(pressing the three buttons) and did not see the option for a camera however, it may show up if a camera is plugged in. I'd be more willing to buy it if I knew for sure it worked... Think TIM would lend me one to test? :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.