Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just bought a 2018 MDX Tech and am going to have probably, several questions. First one, we noticed we are not getting an aural beeping cue while backing up (the one that gets faster the closer you get to an object). We assume it would be a standard feature as it was on the '08 we just sold. Is there a way to turn it on, or, is it no longer a feature? Thanks.

·
Registered
357 Posts
As far as I know the 18 Tech does not come with back up sensors from factory. It is however available as a dealer accessory. It works slightly different than the factory installed one.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
The Advance package includes parking sensors (front and rear).

In the Tech you still get the backup camera, however.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I kind of thought that was the case. And I do see that the backup sensor is available as an accessory so we may go that way. Kind of surprised that it was no longer part of the tech though.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now I'm going to have to go out to the garage and test this. It's possible we haven't backed up close enough to anything yet. Just got it Saturday.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
The back up sensors were not standard equipment for the Tech/Sport/Adv versions for the 2nd Gen 07-13 MDX. They were a dealer installed accessory for the rear only.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Okay, that's interesting. Our '08 was a standard tech and it had the backup sensors.
Do you still have your paperwork with the monroney and dealer markup stickers? It's possible your dealer added them to the vehicles on their lot.

For example, the dealer I bought my 2017 from adds "Window Tint, Nitrogen in Tires, and Wheel Locks" to every single vehicle that comes through their lot -- whether the buyer wants it, or not. Of course they also tack on a healthy profit for themselves, too.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Do you still have your paperwork with the monroney and dealer markup stickers? It's possible your dealer added them to the vehicles on their lot.

For example, the dealer I bought my 2017 from adds "Window Tint, Nitrogen in Tires, and Wheel Locks" to every single vehicle that comes through their lot -- whether the buyer wants it, or not. Of course they also tack on a healthy profit for themselves, too.
That would have been a problem for me. There is no way I would have accepted extra tinted windows.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
That would have been a problem for me. There is no way I would have accepted extra tinted windows.
It worked out great, for me. I have sensitive eyes and I always tint the front windows in my vehicles.

It's also a great bargaining chip. I told the dealer I didn't want any of the "extras" and said if it was a problem they could "get me a MDX that didn't have them". Of course they'd rather sell what they have in front of them, so those line items magically went away, although no one actually takes the parts off the car.

Another accessory the dealer puts on ALL their cars is the clear door edge guards. I never would have thought to do them, but I actually really like them and will put them on future vehicles.

Of course, their prices were unbelievably inflated. They wanted $400 for window tint that was worth half that. They also wanted $149 for "Nitrogen in Tires" that I wouldn't pay even a dollar for!

So I'd definitely say bargain those add-ons away.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Actually this morning I was thinking that very thing. When I get home I'll check. I'm pretty sure I have all the stuff.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Has anyone hooked up a buzzer to some reverse indicator or perhaps the reverse light, in order to alert others? That seems more useful to me; I find the reverse camera is usually adequate for judging distance.

@p07r0457 $149 for nitrogen in the tires? They really have no respect for their customers. Personally I would just laugh in their faces. Our air is already 78% nitrogen; what exactly do they expect to accomplish by removing the remaining 21% oxygen and 1% argon? That is just too funny.

I also added tint to the front side windows, but not to the legal maximum in Oregon. It cuts down on the glare and heat on a hot summer day. The back of the car is heavily tinted and the car is noticeably cooler after sitting in the sun. I had mine done at a pro shop, along with the clear plastic protection pieces.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Costco claims nitrogen stabilizes tire pressure so you don’t get temperature fluctuations.

·
Registered
575 Posts
What mumbo-jumbo. Of course you will get pressure variations with temperature with any gas - simple physics. Even if your tires never leaked at all you would have to add air in the fall and winter and let the excess out in the spring and summer.

There is a claim that oxygen molecules are smaller so permeate the tire walls easier and thus cause a loss of pressure. If that were an issue, simply by replacing the lost oxygen with air (78% nitrogen) the desired nitrogen-rich fill would be achieved (the nitrogen systems create a 93%-95% nitrogen mix). Of course you will still have to do seasonal adjustments.

Another claim is that nitrogen fill systems deliver dry air, and that the water vapor can cause corrosion to the wheel (good thing the outside of the wheel is never exposed to water) and that it can cause greater pressure variation (actually a kernel of truth there). Of course compressed air systems usually remove most water, but heh - nitrogen is cooler, right?

It is all about a technology looking for an excuse to pick your pocket. Save your money and just buy an accurate tire pressure gauge and keep the tires inflated properly.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Of course compressed air systems usually remove most water
I'm gonna disagree with you, there. Anyone who has owned an air compressor should be familiar with how much moisture accumulates in the tank and is present in the output. There is a reason that all air compressor manufacturers recommend draining the tank daily. It's impressive how much water accumulates in the tank. In fact there are numerous products on the market that attempt to "dry" the output to improve the result of processes that are sensitive to moisture -- such as HVLP painting.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts