Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. Some may remember me from a few years ago. Long time Honda/Acura owner, and the last time I was here I had a 2013 Acura MDX SH-AWD Base model. In 2015 I ended up moving from the MDX to a 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech in Kona Coffee Metallic. Rationale at the time for moving was to get more features for a better price, and maybe better MPG's. The downside? The AWD was awful in the RDX. To the point that when the lease was able to be ended, I wanted something a whole lot better....

Which brings me to this weekend, when I leased a 2017 MDX SH-AWD Tech in Fathom Blue. The lease deals are pretty good these days on the end-of-year models, and I got one that was pretty fresh (built in July 2017). The first 3 days of having it has been sheer pleasure in driving. The new features you get in the '17 Tech like folding mirrors, remote start, Acura Watch features, plus the normal Nav things - is really great. Can't wait for the winter to get back in the SH-AWD swing of things here in NH!

Hope to participate on various topics moving forward (like my complaint that the mid-model redesign for the MDX change the lug pattern BACK to 5x120 - I'd expected to use my RDX wheels/tires/sensors like I could for a '14-16 MDX - but no such luck.....)

Cheers - Andy

Attachments

·
Registered
707 Posts
Good luck, just what does it cost to do a long term rental on one of these things? Ballpark down and monthly...

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
Congrats!

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I have a 2014 MDX and a 2017 RDX which I got in the spring. The AWD is that bad in the snow? I assumed it was like the Honda CRV which I have heard is good in rain/snow
My wife had a 2015 CR-V AWD. It really is a disappointing all-wheel drive system. In the snow it was not confidence-inspiring. I'm still not sure if it provided any improvement over plain front-wheel drive.

The SH-AWD in the MDX is so much better. Torque vectoring FTW!

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a 2014 MDX and a 2017 RDX which I got in the spring. The AWD is that bad in the snow? I assumed it was like the Honda CRV which I have heard is good in rain/snow
I think it's all a matter of personal preference. The 13-15 RDX shared the AWD driveline with the earlier CRV, and for 16+ they moved a bit of emphasis to the rear wheels during traction-needed situations. So it's better - but it's nothing like the SH-AWD that comes in the MDX. For me, living in NH with tons of back road driving, I needed the extra traction for my personal comfort level. Others may feel the RDX is adequate. But the traction in your '17 RDX will not be the same as in your '14 MDX....

andy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts