Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, folks, I am finally a full-fledged member. I will be quite busy the next few days installing accessories, and cleaning, etc.
But I wanted to give you my impressions of this great vehicle while it's all so fresh in my memory.

DEALER : My original salesman, Dan Dixon has changed jobs, he was very helpful, and I wish him the best.
However, being recently retired myself, I understand the transitions in the workplace are not always smooth. My free wheel locks, cargo cover, and rear guards were not installed as promised.
The fleet manager, Scott Johnson did not even blink. He jumped in my X and drove it straight to the service bay. Fortunately service is open Saturday.
My wife and I lost time we could have used to see some more sights in Palm Springs, and it was difficult to judge how long it would take. The cargo covers were not in stock, and they are shipping one to my home this week.
The big one is the tow kit, I was told over a week ago by Dan that is was late arriving. Well, turns out it is back-ordered almost 2 months. So they will ship it to a local dealer of mine, and they will install it. (It is pre-paid).
All in all, these were misforturnes which I can hold the dealer somewhat responsible for, but it sounds mostly like an Acura problem that became mine. The dealer was good all around, and did get me the car I wanted, added freebies when delivery slipped, and delivered the car spotless, and based on this drive running perfectly.

FINISH: We are both jazzed over the GG finish. It's a great color. The green comes out mostly at dusk, most of the time it has a gray metallic look, almost like anthracite but a bit lighter.
Wife noticed one hair line scratch on a rear door, about an inch long, and you would really be pressed to find it. Looks like a surface scratch.
Otherwise, it's one very clean machine.
INTERIOR: Very nice! We could not find a stitch out of place, or a scratch anywhere.
NOISE LEVEL: Very quiet, road noise moderate to low depending on the road surface. Those Michelins feel great!
Our food cooler in the back seat squeaked sometimes, and that was it for the inside noise, no seat belts swinging, etc.. We never even heard clunking, or the rear brakes or the fuel tank!
Maybe I just never noticed it, and I have only had it now for 3 days, so we will see.
POWER: More than adequate, but driving it easy, I only had short glimpses of the potential. It was hard, but I kept it below 55 for the first 200 miles to get the tires worn in a bit too.
After that, I went up to 60 and 65, keeping the speed varied every several minutes, by kicking it into a lower gear for a bit more acceleration, and then backing off again, and regularly shifting to 4th.
One thing that surprised me was how fast the temp gauge gets to normal when starting a cold engine. I always baby my cars until they warm up. Once the temp gauge was at normal (about 1/3 up the dial) it never budged.
TIRES: Tires were preset at 32 psi cold. I may run them about 34.
FLUID LEVELS: Everything was topped off, and still topped off 500 miles later.
NAVIGATOR: If you saw the posting Saturday night, you know my navi was not working. Mr Feldman to the rescue. I took his suggestion and did a quick clean of the disk, and from that point it worked perfectly!
And I do mean it. It worked just great! The only glitch was near our house. We had it set for our street, and it plotted a longer route to get us there. By the time we realized that, it had already done a recalculation and gave us the route we were already travelling. It was really a godsend getting us through all the freeway interchanges especially around LA. Very impressive.
The volume of the 'voice' was a bit low for on the road, and I cranked it up. At times it seemed it could be more clear.
MILEAGE: Well, it's all acamedic at this point, I would not even try to check it close until it had a good 1000 miles on it. When we picked it up (delivered with a full tank of premium) it was reading about 10.4, when we got home, 20.3.
I did 2 fill ups (on about 1/4 to 1/3 full tanks). I left the nozzle on automatic, and never heard any 'wooshing' and it never over flowed.
BRAKES AND STEERING: I can't add to what's been said by most Handling and braking and are optimal for a vehicle of this class and purpose.
I consciously applied lateral pressure to the brake pedal, and yes there was a bit of play. It did feel different, but when using the brake normally I noted nothing out of place.
SEATS: The seats are on the firm side. We were riding in a Lincoln taxi to the airport, so the difference was noticeable. But it never really phased us at all. We think the room available is wonderful, and the seat adjustments adequate for most any driving postion.
We felt somewhat tired after long stretches of driving, but never fatigued, or sore in anyway. A great drivng machine!, PICTURES TO FOLLOW IN A DAY OR TWO!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Congrats Dale.....you are an official owner now after all those postings.
Glad things worked out with you at Palm Desert Acura. I almost got mine from Dan Dixon and offered to drive the MDX down to my office but, I was not ready at the time to purchase it. He must do a lot of MDX business.
Anyhow, enjoy and post the pics soon.

·
Registered
285 Posts
congratulations, dale!!! finally....:cool: :D

·
Registered
411 Posts
DaleB:

Congratultions!! Welcome to the Club.

·
Registered
747 Posts
It's been a long hard wait for you, Dale, I know--enjoy! You deserve it...

Rob

·
Registered
53 Posts
Congratulations! If anyone “deserves” a MDX it’s you. As a non-owner representative of this forum I look forward to your future posts that will be oozing with all of your newfound MDX-wisdom. Now turn off your NAV and go get lost somewhere in your new toy…

·
Registered
206 Posts
Congratulations again Dale. Im glad the MDX lived up to your expectations. It will only get better the more you drive it.

You will find some quirks with the Nav system. But it is still worth it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Dale:

Any advice on dealing with Acura of the Desert? I spoke with Scott once and he appeared to be fairly honest. However, at that time, they wanted just over MSRP on the MDX that I was interested in, although he indicated that he would be willing to come down "in a few days". Obviously, there's no way I'm going to hassle with buying a car that is 300+ miles away if I don't get a decent price...

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Best of Luck!!!!!

Your finally a real member of the club, before you were a viewer. Now as an owner how does it feel? I'm sure you have alot of installs with your add on's that you purchased. Wonder how fast it will take to put all the options you've been gathering? You will probably have them all done by the weekend! I'm sure you now know every little quirk or detail needed if something should come up. I'm sure you'll love it and have no problems at all. Look forward to Pic's of the new addition to the family, and don't waste any time with an application of zaino. Well save driving and try to take it easy during the initial miles. I'm sure you can't wait to open her up all the way. Try to hold back a little and cruise.:D

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Welcome back

I guess there may;) be a slight drop in posting rate as you will be a little busy:p

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SonShine said:
Dale:

Any advice on dealing with Acura of the Desert? I spoke with Scott once and he appeared to be fairly honest. However, at that time, they wanted just over MSRP on the MDX that I was interested in, although he indicated that he would be willing to come down "in a few days". Obviously, there's no way I'm going to hassle with buying a car that is 300+ miles away if I don't get a decent price...
They normally try to sell with a protection pkg. I told them I only wanted MSRP on the car and that's it.
So they agreed. But when the delivery was delayed over a week late, they threw it in for free anyway!

·
Registered
1,769 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Dale B, CONGRATS!

Now you can start experiencing the pleasure of the MDX instead of just talkn' about it! ENJOY;)

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Dale - wow what a great first post as an owner! A model for all you waiting for your X!

Congratulations and Enjoy! :D:D

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
One thing I forgot to mention, was the sound system. The Bose leaves something to be desired, but it's adequate untill the mods begin.

Today I got front sides tinted. Not quite legal shade, but the standard (70% light transmission) is a joke. (Pics to follow).

I also found out I can get a front hood coating, plus trim around the lights for $250. Discounted, as it's the same place I got the tint. It's called Clear Shield. I may want to sell my Form Fit Deflector. Or send it back to Tim. It is not installed, but I destroyed the cardboard container. (Tim's going, "Oh no, I knew he was going to say that!") It is fully intact still sealed in plastic. Let me know. If you are within a 100 mile radius of San Jose, I may even deliver it and all for a very low price.
For now here is one pic on the first morning of our new family member before hitting the highway.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
DaleB said:
First morning....
Lookin Good watch out for the tree sap!!!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts