Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since there is a water restriction here in NJ, I'm wondering if it is ok to baby wipes on the car. If it is soft enough for a babies butt, then it should be ok for a car right?

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
My wife has done it. . . nothing wrong with it, although I would say it's more expensive than regular Windex.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Washed My Black MDX Only Once In Last Two Months

Baby Wipes? Probably not a good idea, especially if they have been used on a baby first. :jester:

Even if new they may scratch the finish IMHO.

I have had great results with a California Duster. In the last two months I have only washed the X once and in my biased opinion my X is one of the most consistently clean dark colored vehicles in town. This has been my strategy:

1. Dust with Cal Duster when necessary. (every 2 to 3 days) Only takes about 5 minutes, I use two dusters at a time.

2. Use a mix of Z7 and distilled water to spray on bugs. Let it soak for a few minutes, then spray again and wipe off. Bug are amazingly easy to remove when you have a few coats of Z5/Z2 on the X.

3. Buff with Z6 about every other week. Only takes about 15 minutes. Or spot buff with Z6 if necessary.

4. Keep the MDX in the garage when it rains and drive my old truck. Have only had to do this a few times this summer.

I know that this strategy will not work as well when the rainy season begins but I was amazed at how easy it was to keep a Black MDX clean after I developed this strategy.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Baby wipes = bad idea. There isn't enough nap on them to pick up & store the dirt. You'll just end up pushing it around, and cause scratches. Not sure what they'd do to a waxed/polymered finish, either, since I don't know what's in them...but they're more than just water.

Cal Duster and an occassional QD, as BaldEagle is doing, is a better alternative.

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
Cal Duster?

How much is it and where can I pick it up?

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Baby wipes might be good for the occassional grease stains found around the bottoms of fenders from road residue.
I usually take a paper towel soaked in isopropyl and wipe those away immediately.
The sanitized travel wipes work much the same but have a scent added.
Of course it also wipes away any wax or polish protection on that same area.
That can be touched up, and is preferable to using anything abrasive.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I get great results with the Cal Duster (from WalMart), but what is Z5/Z6/Z7?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Z5

It is a type of Zaino wax. Do a search under Zaino.

·
Registered
356 Posts
California Squeegee

Thanks.

I've also found that the new "California Squeegee" is a great aid for drying a car. It's a soft rubber squeegee that can shape itself to curves. I use it to take off the excess water so I'm not having to wring out the shammy all the time. (no comments on spelling please) :(

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Cal Duster is available at Walmart, Costco-better shopping, and also at Pep Boys. $10.00 at all above. Anybody purchased any products from www.griotsgarage.com? They have a "spray n' wash that looks good for quickie cleaning.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts