Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a pair of FX 6 9 (coax) and FS 6 (separate) on e bay. I would like to try them out first without an additional amp.

1. I will use the FS 6 in front and the FX 6 in the rear. Can I leave the cross-over in the cavity behind the door pannel?

2.Without an amp, can I just not connect the speaker terminals and the twwters to the cross-over?

3. I need to replace the tweeters? Can I resue the BOSE tweeters or should I replace them with something better? If so, what?

I bought the whole thing for $70 so I thought it would be worthwhile
to try to install them myself.

·
Registered
738 Posts
uvaone said:
Just bought a pair of FX 6 9 (coax) and FS 6 (separate) on e bay. I would like to try them out first without an additional amp.

1. I will use the FS 6 in front and the FX 6 in the rear. Can I leave the cross-over in the cavity behind the door pannel?

2.Without an amp, can I just not connect the speaker terminals and the twwters to the cross-over?

3. I need to replace the tweeters? Can I resue the BOSE tweeters or should I replace them with something better? If so, what?

I bought the whole thing for $70 so I thought it would be worthwhile
to try to install them myself.
I'm trying to help you but I'm sorry to say that I don't understand your second question.

1. You can mount the crossover in the door cavity. Keep it off the bottom of the door, as all the water drips during rain and car washes collects there. Make sure you create a sufficient water barrier, yet provide for ventilation of the crossover. You can use double-stick tape or velcro to mount the x-over to the door skin, then simply tape a piece of from clear, thick plastic bag cut to form a flap over the crossover. Tape it across the top of the flap, and the top half of the left and right sides. "Can I leave the crossover . . ." You can mount a new crossover in the door cavity. You cannot LEAVE the crossover in the door, as the MDX does not come supplied with one. Yes, these are the infamous Bozo component speakers designed without crossovers.

2. I have no clue what you are saying. Sorry.

3. The bose are not worth rescuing. You should use the component tweeters which came with your FS6. Why would you upgrade only the midrange when you purchased a much better matching midrange and tweeter component set?

Please rephrase your 2nd question hopefully we can assist.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Bruce:

Thanks so much. I bought these sets of speakers on e-bay so there is no installation instructions.

My question on the amp....when I looked up the installtion manual in the BA website, it shows a diagram where 2 leads gong from the cross-over to the "amp". SInce I have no amp, can I just ignore these connection??

My question on the tweeters....I guess the seller somehow damage the teeters so he sold these without the tweeter. SInce they are so cheap compared to new, I thought I maybe able to buy new tweeters to go with them. So can I buy any set of tweeters made by other manufacturers?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
306 Posts
See if I have this correct. Your are wanting to hook the crossover up to your head unit without an amp? Is this correct? If so, you can indeed do this. It is just that an amp would give you better sound quality. That is why the Boston website showed the amp. As for the tweeters, you can use about any tweeters but, again for the best tonal sound quality, you would need Boston tweeters that went with the mids you bought. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Slack:
Yes... Thank you. SO all I need is an adapter that connects the Honda speaker connectors to the "standard" connectors. I read somewhere on this board that I can get this at best buy.

Again thanks SOOOO much.

·
Registered
306 Posts
You are indeed correct. Best Buy or Circuit City. Any electronics store that does car audio installs should have them. Glad I could help out.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Odessa,
Could you please comment on the reception of the antennas for TV? How good is it? I know some other that replaced them with an amplified version. I want to know if I need this or not.

·
Registered
449 Posts
the whole anntenna thing really depends on where you are located. My antenna does not work very well in LI but as I get closed to the antenna tower in the city the reception improves dramatically. IMO, install the antenna and see how the reception is, if it is not as good as you expect then replace it with the amplified version. Note, the amplified version will require you to tap into an additional power source to power the antenna amplifier.

Emerald01 said:
Odessa,
Could you please comment on the reception of the antennas for TV? How good is it? I know some other that replaced them with an amplified version. I want to know if I need this or not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts