Discussion Starter #1
Oil change. 40 bucks

Tire rotation 12.50

Service (6) Symbol
Rear Differential Fluid Change $95.00
* Drain rear differential fluid and replace crush washer
* Fill differential fluid and inspect drive shafts and boots
* Complimentary car wash and vacuum

Rear differential really needed? What would the cost be to do myself?

Oil change and tire rotation not bad for me not having to get my hands dirty.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Oil change. 40 bucks

Tire rotation 12.50

Service (6) Symbol
Rear Differential Fluid Change $95.00
* Drain rear differential fluid and replace crush washer
* Fill differential fluid and inspect drive shafts and boots
* Complimentary car wash and vacuum

Rear differential really needed? What would the cost be to do myself?

Oil change and tire rotation not bad for me not having to get my hands dirty.
Once you change it this go around, the "6" won't light up again until around 40K miles. This as been true for my previous MDX's. A service adviser once told me it is needed so soon the first go around because it is break in fluid.

·
Registered
73 Posts
That's pretty good. My B16 ended up being $150 at an independent mechanic. Others wanted on the order of $180-$190, and dealer was whopping $280.

$280 for two fluid changes and tire rotation? That's excessive even for a dealer.

Before the 'I would do it in my garage for $25' crowd pitches in - yes, I do most of the maintenance on my old beamer myself, because I've been so long with this car, it became a hobby. But with MDX - it's just not worth my time or getting dirty.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well the b they want,

Fall Special (B) Service Drive With Confidence!
$131.95
Service Includes:
1. Drain engine oil and replace crush washer
2. Replace engine oil and oil filter
3. Lubricate all hinges, locks and latches
4. Inspect fluid levels and top off as needed
5. Remove all 4 wheels to inspect condition of brakes, calipers & brake components
6. Tire rotation check and adjust tire pressures
7. Replace windshield wiper blade inserts
8. Receive a copy of your Acura Accelerated Vehicle Inspection Checklist
Complimentary Car Wash and Vacuum with EVERY visit

I just need the oil change for 40 bucks, i can top off my own fluids and lub my hinges.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sorry to bring this old post but I have a related questions.

I am in Alberta, Canada. I am up for B16 service. Called my the dealer I bought my MDX from and they wanted $380 for it without tire rotation. Called another dealer in town and this one wanted $260 also with out tire rotation.

So, I called my dealer and asked why the $120 difference? They said they don't know why the other dealer is charging that price because the service price is dictated by Acura Canada.

Any idea guys?

Thanks!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Sorry to bring this old post but I have a related questions.

I am in Alberta, Canada. I am up for B16 service. Called my the dealer I bought my MDX from and they wanted $380 for it without tire rotation. Called another dealer in town and this one wanted $260 also with out tire rotation.

So, I called my dealer and asked why the $120 difference? They said they don't know why the other dealer is charging that price because the service price is dictated by Acura Canada.

Any idea guys?

Thanks!
Dealers are not owned by Acura. They are independently owned and therefore each owner can set the price/service.

Using your list above, the B16 SHOULD include the oil change, ROTATE TIRES, and the rear differential service, but you indicate that BOTH dealers you contacted deleted the rotate from their "service". Unfortunately, it is really up to the consumer to verify what service items are being done when the car goes in for service.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Agree to check. My experience has been dealers trying to add services not required by the manufacturer. "...but you really need it!" Not really. This is an interesting twist. People in Canada are different, in a good way, right?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Paid $100 for the B (0w-20) & 6 (VTM-4 genuine Honda fluid) service at my local mechanic. Went in to America's Tire for a free tire rotation. Took just under 1 hour to complete on a lift.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Paid $100 for the B (0w-20) & 6 (VTM-4 genuine Honda fluid) service at my local mechanic. Went in to America's Tire for a free tire rotation. Took just under 1 hour to complete on a lift.
Do you know that you used wrong fluid for differential?

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'm bringing in my MDX on friday for the B16 service. They emailed me and told me it will be a total of $330???? WTF. This is what they said:

B Service: $179.95 Replace engine oil and filter using full synthetic oil. Replace engine oil drain plug washer. Inspect all fluid levels and condition of fluids. Check front and rear brake pads, rotors, and brake calipers. Perform front and rear brake caliper slide pin service. Check parking brake adjustment. Inspect tie rod ends, steering gearbox boots. Inspect suspension components. Inspect drive shaft boots. Inspect brake hoses and lines including VSA lines. Inspect brake hoses and lines including VSA lines. Inspect exhaust system. Inspect fuel lines and connections. Note: This model requires 0w-20 motor oil.
1 Service: $29.95 Rotate tires, check and set tire pressures and hand torque all lug nuts.
6 Service: $129.95 Replace differential fluid

I emailed around to try and get quotes from other local Acura dealerships... haven't heard back. Doesn't this sound "a touch" too high?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dont need full synthetic u less you want too. Yes seems very high, check your dealers webpage for specials.

Do a search for troy acura and look at there specials/coupns for price comparison

·
Registered
82 Posts
I had minder B1236 come up on mine a month or so ago.

I paid $221.30 before tax for oil change, transmission change, transfer case change, and differential change at my local Acura dealer.

No point paying the ridiculous price for the dealer to do the 2 service (air and cabin filters). I paid $45.74 (before tax and shipping) from Bernardi). Tires were just rotated at Costco.

So, all in $267.04 for a B1236 service before tax.

·
Registered
230 Posts
thanks guys.... 91stealthes... Bernardi in MA? that's who i contacted yesterday to try and get a price, and still have yet to get back to me. my dealership agreed to match any price any other place offers, so I just need to get someone in the area(southern NH - so seacoast, or down to boston) to throw me a lower price so I can use it against them

·
Registered
82 Posts
thanks guys.... 91stealthes... Bernardi in MA? that's who i contacted yesterday to try and get a price, and still have yet to get back to me. my dealership agreed to match any price any other place offers, so I just need to get someone in the area(southern NH - so seacoast, or down to boston) to throw me a lower price so I can use it against them
Yes, I used Bernardi in MA to order my air and cabin filters. They were the cheapest of the online Acura Parts Dealers. I don't live in MA.

My dealer was cheaper on the oil change, but more expensive on everything else. My dealer does price match for the same service, so I emailed the surrounding dealers (4 or 5) asking for their price for each service. I used email so I had proof to show my dealer. All the dealers in my area were quick to respond and I had it ironed out in 1-day. My dealer also gave me their percentage off service promotion they were running on top of the price match as well.

If I remember correctly, I think I spent approximately $100 more than if I were to order all the fluids and parts myself through Bernardi. Worth it for me to spend the time with my 2 y/o instead of under my car.

Of note, my dealers parts department would not match the price of the filters from Bernardi...strange.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just got the B16 message pop up. I have only 12K miles on my 2014 MDX. Isn't that a bit early for a rear differential fluid change? I've heard of 30K intervals in Land Rovers but never this early. How difficult is it to change DIY? Would rather do it at the same time I change the oil if its just like any other differential change (drain old, add new, done).

·
Registered
305 Posts
I just got the B16 message pop up. I have only 12K miles on my 2014 MDX. Isn't that a bit early for a rear differential fluid change? I've heard of 30K intervals in Land Rovers but never this early. How difficult is it to change DIY? Would rather do it at the same time I change the oil if its just like any other differential change (drain old, add new, done).

I had mine came up the same mileage as yours few months ago. Not sure why mine came up early too. Probably when I took mine for a 1200 mile roadtrip in Grand Canyon during winter with 7 passengers and a cargo carrier in tow.

I've been DIYing my car's oil change for 6 yrs now and the MDX is not that different. It has enough ground clearance for me to not jack it up.

It was the first time I did rear differential though... It is actually easier to change than the engine oil because the rear end has a lot of space to work on. I just bought the oil filter and acura differential oil at the dealer. I bought Mobil 1 synthetic at walmart and a tube connector that you attach to the differential oil bottle. It was pretty straight forward. All I did was searched instruction videos in youtube.

My dealer was charging me $200 plus tax to do all that plus inspection and I just spent $67 for all that stuff needed. Saved me $150.

But if you don't mind spending $220, it's always better and safe to have the dealer do it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
230 Posts
Rippin'AV - my car is is a '14. about 15 mos old, and hit 12,700 miles. they told me the rear diff fluid needs to be changed out as it's a "break in fluid", but after this, i won't see it again for another 30k miles. Total on the B16 that I will have to pay is gonna be like $350. I called other dealerships. One was offering for $250, but they wouldn't be doing half of the other stuff that my dealership would be doing...

Side note... they gave me a loaner car this morning. told them i didn't care what they gave me, as long as it can get me to and from work. They gave me an ILX hybrid. feels like i'm sitting in a sardine can compared to the MDX.... and it has the autostop feature thing that my MDX doesn't. freaked me out when i came to a stop at a light and everything shut down. Once i figured out what it was, i was ok, but i just don't know if i could get used to that

1 - 20 of 40 Posts