Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello -

I own a 2011 Acura MDX, it has 80K miles on it. I'm up for the B136 maintenance soon. So far, I've been going to the Acura dealer for all my maintenance. Yes, I realize that its expensive and I want to get out of this habit.

Acura dealer quotes me $616.88 for the B136, which is basically a Oil and Filter change, Transmission Fluid Exchange and Rear Differential Fluid.

I contacted Valvoline and they are quoting approximately $250- $300 - basically half the price.

Wanted to check with other MDX owners if going with Valvoline is a good idea.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I would not go to any "quick-lube" place like Valvoline, EZLube, Jiffy Lube, Oil Can Henrys, Firestone, etc. There are a few decent locations within these chains, staffed with a knowledgeable and caring person or two -- but they are rare. The majority of these locations do not perform quality work. It is a common occurrence for these shops to charge you for service and not even perform the work! I've also heard many stories of these types of shops draining fluids and either putting the wrong fluid back in, or forgetting to put fluid in, altogether. I would avoid them, entirely.

Here's a video that shows a little bit into how bad these shops can be:

If you don't want the dealer to do the service, and also do not want to perform the service yourself, then I would suggest finding a local, reputable, full-service mechanic. Don't go to a tire-shop for anything other than tires. You want a real mechanic. Ask your friends/neighbors. If you're not on Nextdoor, download the app and join -- lots of great information from the people who live in your area.

Also, consider getting a quote from your local Honda dealer. They often charge less than Acura, and they should still be able to perform the service.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Hello -

I own a 2011 Acura MDX, it has 80K miles on it. I'm up for the B136 maintenance soon. So far, I've been going to the Acura dealer for all my maintenance. Yes, I realize that its expensive and I want to get out of this habit.

Acura dealer quotes me $616.88 for the B136
You can do these fluid changes, for under $100 (if you have about $50 in Walmart tools) and save yourself $500.

You won't even need to jack up the MDX, unless you're shaped like Chris Christie.

If you've never done this kind of stuff before, but you've opened a jar of pickles, you'll do just fine.

What is your zip code?

I can give you the name of a discount (30%) online Acura parts counter near you.

·
Registered
162 Posts
As a DYI-er..

Oil/ filter - 40- 45.00 [Penz Plat synthetics]
Transmission - 3 x 3lt drain and fill 9 lt @ 9.00 = 90.00 [Petro-Can Duradrive synth ATF]
Rear diff - 45.00 - Acura OEM DPSF fluid [ no choice here..]

total = 175.0 +/- in Canuck Bucks
J.

·
Registered
869 Posts
As a DYI-er..

Transmission - 3 x 3lt drain and fill 9 lt @ 9.00 = 90.00 [Petro-Can Duradrive synth ATF]

J.
What the heck is Petro-Can, eh? :grin:

·
Registered
749 Posts
As a DYI-er..

J.
Acura shops only do 1 gravity drain ATF change.

·
Registered
162 Posts

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
You should hook up with some handy forum member here. You buy the fluids/parts and pay him $50 to do it. After watching him do it once, I bet you are comfortable to do it yourself next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can do these fluid changes, for under $100 (if you have about $50 in Walmart tools) and save yourself $500.

You won't even need to jack up the MDX, unless you're shaped like Chris Christie.

If you've never done this kind of stuff before, but you've opened a jar of pickles, you'll do just fine.

What is your zip code?

I can give you the name of a discount (30%) online Acura parts counter near you.
LOL, thankfully I'm not shaped like the NJ Governor. My zip code is 22033
Also, can we find someone in here to do the maintenance?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts