Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello! long time lurker and DIY type-of-guy;

I thought a great way to collect the various service threads I've seen is to setup some shopping lists; yes,everyone's entitled to their opinion on which product they'd use (brand etc) but here's a good start.

I'm ready for a B123 service myself, so I started to put together a list.

Notes:
  • I'm checking the trans fluid recommendation, i have VTM-4 in the cart at the moment.
  • There are variations of the same things (cabin filters, a few brands) - feel free to choose what suits you.
  • The oil/filter combo in my car was just for part# reference, they were on sale at the time, I don't think so anymore, however it's a good way to look up what oil weight and filter number is needed when browsing other stores...
hope this helps!

B123 Service @ 30k
Link: https://amzn.com/w/21424SVYMEV6F

For Reference, the B123 requires these items (bold items are replace, rest are inspect etc), italics are services outside of replacements

B:
Replace engine oil and oil filter

Inspect
  • front and rear brakes
  • Check parking brake adjustment
  • Tie rod ends, steering gear box, and boots
  • Suspension components
  • Driveshaft boots
  • Brake hoses and lines (including ABS)
  • All fluid levels and condition of fluids
  • Exhaust system
  • Fuel lines and connections
1:
Rotate Tires

2:
Replace air cleaner element
Replace dust and pollen - cabin filter

Inspect
  • drive belt
  • If you drive in dusty conditions, replace every 15,000 miles.
  • If you drive primarily in urban areas that have high concentrations of soot in the air from industry and from diesel-powered vehicles, replace every 15,000 miles

3:
Replace
  • transmission flud
  • transfer case fluid (rear diff)
*Edit* Added the Maintenance Minder Schedule Reference Card, courtesy of someone on the forum (I forget when/where I found it, but kudos!)

Attachments

·
Registered
268 Posts
The rear differential of the 2014 and newer models take Acura all wheel drive fluid (DPSF), not VTM-4. You'll needed to buy three quarts. I believe only the first generation models used the VTM-4 fluid in the rear diff.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Resurrecting this thread since I'm now at 40k plus and I came across some findings -

Service B has various inspections,
1: Air Filters (engine/cabin)
2: Engine Oil + Filter
3: Transmission (ATF DW-1) and Transfer Case (HGO-1)

Is there any reasoning to using 80-90 gear oil in lieu of HGO-1? or for that matter, rather than using DPSF for the rear differential?

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Gear oils should not be interchanged with ATFs, differential fluids, and transfer case fluids. They all have different slip modifiers, anti-wear agents, viscosity, etc. Gear oil is a much more SIMPLE (easiest way to categorize it) fluid vs the rest, so you will probably notice that on some newer cars, even manual transmissions are requiring some variation of an ATF. Personally, I stick to the type and certs that are required for the parts and will interchange brands at the most.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I'd stick with only factory recommended fluids - especially for the tranny since they can be be very fussy about the exact fluid formulation.

I just replaced the cabin and engine filters - I just bought them at the Acura dealer along with a couple more factory oil filters to have on hand. There's not much of a price hit for buying the factory ones surprisingly.

For oil I've used Mobile 1 full synthetic 0W-20 - purchased at Walmart in a 5 guart jug. It's the only reason I even go into a Walmart. I've done 2 oil changes so far and am getting close to ready to do the third. I do them myself and rotate the tires at the same time.

I'm only at around 25K on my 2014 and haven't actually changed the tranny, transfer case, or diff fluids yet.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I personally wouldn't be afraid of using non-Honda/Acura fluids in my Acura. With a couple of exceptions, I think there's enough information out there that shows there are certain aftermarket fluids that can be used without causing problems.

However, since I am still under the factory warranty I'll stick with the Honda fluids (other than motor oil). Should one of the major components fail, I wouldn't want to shoulder the burden and costs of proving that the aftermarket fluid wasn't a cause of the failure. After the warranty ends, I'll reconsider my fluid choices.

Here's my take:
-Engine Oil: I'd run any known brand that meets the vehicle spec. (API certified 0W-20 in this case).
-Transmission Fluid: Aside from the DW-1, I'd be fine with running a Redline or Amsoil ATF. These might not break down as quickly as DW-1, but they are definitely more expensive. I might also try out the Castrol Import Multi-vehicle ATF when the vehicle gets way up there in miles.
-Transfer Case: The HGO-1 is a 75W-85 GL5 gear oil. I think that the aftermarket fluids that meet this spec are about the same in price, if not more expensive. 80W-90 might work fine, but I think I'd look to go with a 75W-90 gear oil before the 80W-90. Since the 75W-85 is somewhat commonplace now and the MDX only takes 1/2 a quart, I'd probably just stick with it.
-Rear differential: I wouldn't use anything but the Acura DPSF.

Other fluids:
-Brake fluid: DOT 3 from a big name brand.
-Antifreeze/Coolant: In the past, the factory fill Honda/AcuraType 2 was rated to go 120K before replacement. The next change was supposed to occur after another 60K. It is rumored that the Honda antifreeze is just a silicate and borate free antifreeze that has a blue dye in it. I wouldn't mind using Zerex Asian Vehicle or Peak Global Lifetime fluids, but I do not know how their longevity compares with the Honda antifreeze.
-Power steering fluid*: The Honda/Acura fluid is probably the best here. Aftermarket fluids can be used as long as they say on the label "for Honda and Acura vehicles". Regular power steering fluids without that label should definitely be avoided.
*I know that we have EPAS now; just wanted to throw this out there for anyone who still has a hydraulic power assist system in an older MDX.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts