Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We took delivery of our MDX on Monday (07/01/02) and are very pleased with the X. Our daughter and son-in-law have an X also (2001 Black). The black trim on the b-pillar has become discolored (probably caused by oil from their hands). Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so, how did you solve it? What was used to restore the original finish/appearance and have you found anything to prevent reoccurrence?

·
Registered
616 Posts
DaleB said:
Isopropyl alcohol is probaby the safest thing to start with. If that works, then use Vinylex or similar to bring back the luster after it's clean.
Umm, unless I am doing something wrong, (and I KNOW this was discussed in another thread or two) you can't leave any protectant on that material. It simply looks smudged no matter how well you try to rub it in or smooth the application. I usually just go back over those B pillar trim pieces with soap and water to make sure they're really clean and then leave them alone.

What IS that material by the way?

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
donsev said:

Umm, unless I am doing something wrong, (and I KNOW this was discussed in another thread or two) you can't leave any protectant on that material. It simply looks smudged no matter how well you try to rub it in or smooth the application. I usually just go back over those B pillar trim pieces with soap and water to make sure they're really clean and then leave them alone.

What IS that material by the way?

Sorry about that! I was thinking of the interior. I only wash the flat black trim on the exterior myself. But the alcohol should work for removing stains in most cases.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would have much preferred the glossy black plastic like the TL's from an upkeep perspective and looks also.

·
Registered
715 Posts
don, you are right....I have tried various protectants (from Zaino to 303) and it it verrrrrry tough to get all the smears off, once applied.

I just clean it with Z7 and water, then Z6 it and it is surviving the Texas heat just fine.

However other posts suggest a discoloration happening to the material.....sounds like a warranty issue to me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts