Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had two run out to a plant in another state. I filled up the night before and reset the gas mileage on the computer. I drove home from there and then the family and I drove to a local mall and back. The next morning, I woke up and made about a 200 mile round trip to the plant. I took it easy staying around the speed limit or 5 over. My first few fill-ups showed the Acura computer is optimistic by about 2mpg. But I am impressed with around 31mpg. I am sold on cylinder deactivation.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Given the weight, size, and style (somewhat tall) and available power of this vehicle, the mileage numbers really are impressive. I haven't hit the mileage figure you have in my 2014 shawd, but it's done well enough that I'm happy with it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Drove over a thousand miles to Florida for vacation loaded to the roof with family. Average almost 29mph driving 80+ mph. Very pleased. I only use premium fuel

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had two run out to a plant in another state. I filled up the night before and reset the gas mileage on the computer. I drove home from there and then the family and I drove to a local mall and back. The next morning, I woke up and made about a 200 mile round trip to the plant. I took it easy staying around the speed limit or 5 over. My first few fill-ups showed the Acura computer is optimistic by about 2mpg. But I am impressed with around 31mpg. I am sold on cylinder deactivation.

Did you notice MPGs increased after hitting the 10,000 mile mark on your car? Many Acura owners have stated this occurs after the 10 K break in period. It was true on my 2010 TSX.

Took a round trip from FL to WI this summer and averaged 26-27 MPG. (hand calculated, 91 octane, 3000 miles on the car, 74 MPH average) What was surprising was gassing up with 91 ethanol free. The MID was at 35.5 MPG and climbing as I exited off the short highway drive. Sadly, there are very few top tier gas stations carrying ethanol free gas in my area. The ones that do are all 89 octane. Which makes me wonder is it better to stick with 91 ethanol or 89 ethanol free? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
661 Posts
Did you yourself calculate this or are you trusting the MID?

I get 8-12% below the MID calculations. MID could tell me I get 25MPG or 50MPG and I still wouldn't believe it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Did you yourself calculate this or are you trusting the MID?

I get 8-12% below the MID calculations. MID could tell me I get 25MPG or 50MPG and I still wouldn't believe it.

Not sure if this is directed at me but if so...Based on hand calculating the first 6-8 fill ups my MDX MID overestimates between 1.5-2 mpgs. Based on this, I discount what the MID says by 2 MPGs for real world mileage. Simply pointing out an observation in the difference between ethanol vs ethanol free gasoline effecting MPGs. (real world 33.5 ethanol free gas vs 26-27 blended ethanol gas) :)

·
Registered
661 Posts
Not sure if this is directed at me but if so...Based on hand calculating the first 6-8 fill ups my MDX MID overestimates between 1.5-2 mpgs. Based on this, I discount what the MID says by 2 MPGs for real world mileage. Simply pointing out an observation in the difference between ethanol vs ethanol free gasoline effecting MPGs. (real world 33.5 ethanol free gas vs 26-27 blended ethanol gas) :)
So we're seeing about a 2-4 MPG discrepancy (8-12%). 2014 FWD model.

It's larger at the top of the range - semi-obviously - "28 MPG" is more like 24.

Long trips yield about 30 at highway cruising but drop dramatically once we're on local roads.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Wow, that's really impressive. Certainly puts the 2nd gen's to shame!

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Based on hand calculating the first 6-8 fill ups my MDX MID overestimates between 1.5-2 mpgs.
I found the same over the course of about a 4400 mile road trip. My hand calcs were about 1-2 mpg lower than what was displayed by the MDX. These hand calcs were pretty accurate since they were done over such a large mileage range. I think it'll be pretty close for people if they simply subtract 1.5 from whatever's displayed on the MID for the MPG.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've only had a few fill-ups, but mine has been off about 2mpg each time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We have a 2015 FWD Tech and it has made several all highway trips about 250 miles each way mostly on Interstates at 75 mph. The MID has shown about 32 mpg on every trip so even if it is 30 actual (I will hand calculate next time) we are very pleased. Of course once you leave the Interstate and drive around town the MID begins to drop quckly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
We're new owners, less than a week, and I'm finding that the trip computer is off by quite a bit. Driving home last night, my distance to empty, the mileage I had already driven and the mileage shown, meant my fuel tank had to be about 25 gallons vs it's actual size of 19.

One thing our RX350 did very well, was calculate the mileage. I'm surprised the Acura is that far off. It's not hard to calculate mileage with a gasoline engine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts