Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's boating season and my local Acura dealership has told me that the Acura Tow Hitch Kits are unavailable (on backorder). The service manager was unable to provide me with an estimated time of delivery for the Tow Hitch Kits (which includes the hitch and the two required coolers). I'm anxious to get a hitch installed on my MDX, but I do want to wait for an Acura kit to avoid any warranty issues down the road. Does anyone know if these Acura Tow Hitch Kits are available anywhere? Or is the whole country waiting for Acura to deliver their kits? Each warm, sunny day that passes makes me more anxious to get the boat out!:(

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
Your dealer is correct.....good luck trying to get an Acura kit until possibly mid-June. Buying the coolers and an aftermarket hitch is always a possibility....I sell the coolers for $310 shipped.

I have searched literally the entire US, and there is not ONE to be found!

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I wonder if...

...Honda is "directing" all the hitches toward the Pilot to help buyers of the "new kid".

Am I the only one who thinks Honda has some MISERABLE logistics people? Allegedy the plants in Canda & Alabama can crank out 150,000++ Odys/MDX/Pilots but THEY CAN'T get parts to 'em!?!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Tim! I discussed this option with my dealer's service manager (i.e. I buy the coolers from you, he installs them, then I get an aftermarket hitch) but he was unwilling to install the coolers without the Acura hitch. The dealer did offer to put a "rush" on the order in hopes that it would speed the order along. We'll see...:(

·
Registered
217 Posts
To me, you have two options. The best is to buy the coolers from Tim and install yourself. They are easy “plug and play” kits. Then you can install an aftermarket hitch yourself (widely available). This, of course, assumes the coolers are available from Tim which you seem to indicate above.

Another option would be to tell the dealer you just want the coolers….no hitch. Try to buy from them if they do not want to use Tim’s. If they refuse to install w/o the hitch, as you indicate, find another dealer….they are crooks. If Acura intended to ONLY have the kit installed as a kit, they would not sell by parts………….

The dealer may say “you void the warranty” if someone else installs. Not true if work is done correctly, and with Acura parts (hitch should not affect warranty at all). Even if you use aftermarket parts, you have a valid warranty, but the water can get murky proving the parts meet Acura’s requirement. Dealers, and some manufactures, have been slapped on this practice before…..motor oil pops to mind. If you MUST use their oil/service, they must supply as part of car………………….

Ask them on the coolers if they supply. If they can’t get them, or refuse, find a good dealer or quality mechanic (or find two hours and bolt on yourself).

JMO

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
UPDATE! Acura of the Desert just called. My hitch came in! They are going to ship it to me, and also set up a local dealer to do the installation.
Keep in mind, it was originally ordered around the middle of April.
I can't say enough good things about this dealership. Late delivery (on Acura's part) which they compensated me for with free accessories, salesman leaving the dealership, and transferring the responsibility to the mgr., through all that
they never failed to keep me informed every step of the way, provided courteous and prompt service, and delivered a clean and perfectly running vehicle.
I let Acura know that too on the survey. (phone and mail).

·
Registered
102 Posts
Tow Package

I too received a call from Morande Acura in Connecticut today! My tow package is in and I am getting it installed by them on Friday. Initially he told me the middle of June. I guess they are getting their act together. Looking forward to getting it done and throwing a stainless Hitch Step from go rhino! on the back!

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Re: Tow Package

larryhot13 said:
Looking forward to getting it done and throwing a stainless Hitch Step from go rhino! on the back!
I was considering getting the hitch step also. Not a bad deal. I am not really sold on the looks but it is a nice convenience.
Also provides some parking protection!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Step Hitch

my neighbor has a silver toyota highlander truck with the chrome/SS Hitch Step. It looks very good and does provide that rear protection. Actually, I think it scares people from bumping into your rear, which is even better!
cant wait to get everything done= hitchstep, maniks, and bull bar, all in stainless steel, the MDX is gonna look like a silver bullet.
Larry

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Not sure about a bull bar, but on hold for my Maniks side steps. I wish someone made a simple chrome bar that went across the front grille and another across the front bumper instead of something that looks like you are ready to push someone's car over a cliff.
Too heavy-handed looks for me. I don't go on many safaris.

I ordered the hitch step from www.truckaddons.com $129 for the stainless.. but with shipping $143....

·
Registered
184 Posts
DaleB,

Why did you select the chrome Rhino hitchstep as opposed to any other?

The Rhino looks longer than the Putco so that you can put both feet on it. My only concern was if someone stood to the right or left which would put a lot of torque on the step and hitch receiver.

Also, since my hitch it black and the top of the rear bumper is black, I'm thinking of getting a black colored step.

How far beyond the hitch receiver do these stick out?

Any other steps worth considering?

TIA,

bef

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
True, one could put more load on one end, I am not sure that would hurt anything. Besides, the 'step' is in the center, I don't expect anyone to be stepping on the polished surface. I know I wont.
With the Putco, you can extend it out further, that would certainly apply more torque on the hitch.
The only other ones I have seen are just a simple fold down step. The idea with the Rhino is to have a bumper of sorts, not just a step, otherwise there are much more economical choices.

·
Registered
102 Posts
rhino hitch step

the step is not that long, protects maybe the middle 60% of the bumper. I would think stepping at the end of the step would not produce nearly enough torque to cause any problems, unless you weigh 500 pounds! I wouldnt see any reason to stand on the end of the step anyway, its not a diving board.
re: sticking out. my neighbor has a toyota highlander truck with the step, and it sticks out the perfect amount from you bumper, obviously its just under the bumper, and their is maybe an inch space between the bumper and the step. It really does look great on my neighbors truck, would suspect it would look better on mine!
The chrome/Stainless Steel does stand out visually and provides a warning to anyone parking behind you!
hey Dale, I saw the link you provided for the front bar, i agree with you, simple protection, without changing the aesthetics of the front of our MDX. I'm probably gonna go to my shop and have them simulate putting the bull bar and the "safari" bar in front of the truck. The installer seems to believe the the bull bar is too thick and big for the MDX. The safari bar is not as thick and a bit wider, with the bars extending up on an angle similar to the angle of the dark rubber bumper at the bottom of the MDX. The top of the bar should be below the grill. I think it is gonna look nice. Give me a week or so, I'm gonna get it done and post some pics.
Larry

·
Registered
102 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts