Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I know there are a few posts on this topic already, but I just wanted to add some information that could help others.
Like many of us, my backup camera is useless at night. I replaced the stock bulbs with well rated LED bulbs, but that achieved basically nothing. So I saw another member mention a nice looking auxiliary LED option. That member mounted it next to the camera, but I wanted it in a less noticeable location, under my tow hitch receiver. Throughout my research I could not find any posts mentioning a location in the rear cargo area to "tap" the reverse light power wire. I could only find mention of tapping the wire right at the reverse light socket in the hatch, and running wires through the hatch, down the side panel etc.

So... I took my DMM (Digital Multimeter), threw the vehicle in Reverse (Engine OFF, wheels chocked, E-Brake ON), removed the fuse panel cover (Rear left corner in cargo area), and started trying to locate a 12v source that was live when the vehicle is in reverse (The wire going to the reverse light is a Brown wire with silver dots). I quickly found that wire, it is located in the while Molex plug located near the top right of the fuse/electrical box, second wire down on the left column. So I used the wire taps that were included with the LED light to tap that line and a ground (See Pic) (I normally do not like to use these types of wire taps, but in this situation it was the easiest solution). Prior to wiring the LED light, I mounted it (Wiped down area with alcohol first) and ran the wires through a body plug located behind the factory jack door(See pic).

Pretty easy install, wire had plenty of length, and it works (My vehicle is a 2013 ADV, other years wiring/setup may vary). I will have to wait until it gets dark to see if this solved the issue. (Will report back)

Here is the LED light I used: Amazon.com: LUYED Super Bright 3020 6-EX LED backup Camera illumination system.NEWEST PATENT Auxiliary Reverse Light Enhances Backup camera performance at night.Solid state black SMD (Surface Mount Device): Automotive

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 MDX Tech
75 Posts
I was gonna mount mine to the receiver also but the angle looked like only the ground under the hitch would light up and not be high enough. Hope it worked out for you and please post pics of the illumination range. After this Corona virus thing is over, my MDX needs to pass a reconstruction inspection due to the modified suspension and once you go in for that, they are gonna scrutinize all the lighting so I may need to remove all my LED mods before trying to get my reconstruction permit.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
your trailer hitch has a crack in it!
Negative, the paint on it is peeling and cracking. Normal for our "salty" New England winter roads. Wasn't in the mood to remove the paint/rust and repaint when I noticed it during install, will do it another day.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I was gonna mount mine to the receiver also but the angle looked like only the ground under the hitch would light up and not be high enough. Hope it worked out for you and please post pics of the illumination range. After this Corona virus thing is over, my MDX needs to pass a reconstruction inspection due to the modified suspension and once you go in for that, they are gonna scrutinize all the lighting so I may need to remove all my LED mods before trying to get my reconstruction permit.
I’m curious where you live that you have to do a reconstruction inspection?

·
Registered
2011 MDX Tech
75 Posts
I’m curious where you live that you have to do a reconstruction inspection?
I live in Honolulu Hawaii. We don't have smog tests but we do require a reconstructed vehicle inspection for suspension mods or it impossible for us to get our yearly safety inspection sticker and without that, we can't register our vehicles. Too many backyard wannabe mechanics here driving around slammed cars with 10 degrees plus of negative camber and lifted trucks with tires that stick out 10 inches or more past the fenders. Things would get way out of hand if there were no reconstruction laws here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts