Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just ordered a mdx with the touring package and was wondering if anyone can tell me whether or not the stereo unit has an unused aux input in the back. i have an mp3 player (5gig ipod) and would love to use that on trips instead of bringing a bunch of cds.

any info (including the easiest/best way to access it) would be extremely helpful.

thanks.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Radio Shack has a FM transmitter. It has a mini jack that you plug into your headphone jack of your player and it will broadcast on one of 4 FM stations that you can tune your radio to. I haven't tried it but I have heard it works good. No modifications to your X.

·
Registered
101 Posts
MDXtrous said:
I don't believe the head unit has an auxiliary input, but you can either use a cassete adapter, or try the Sony switch to go directly into the stock system at the following link:

http://crutchfield.com/S-SS6A3BDgBu4/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?i=158XA39II&s=0

and have it installed by a local stereo shop.
The Crutchfield link shows the unit to be no longer manufactured. Any other suggestions? I'd also like to hook my handheld MP3 player to the stock system on my Tour/Nav.

-Mike

·
Registered
426 Posts
navi voice

i just had my pioneer hu installed today and i had them install the alpine self-powered speaker to keep the navi voice. the head unit kicks ass, but the navi voice is low, so you can only hear it if the windows are closed. it does do a perfect job of muting on time though.

·
Registered
327 Posts
segastyle,
My Bose touring headunit is sitting on a workbench right now. I can confirm there is no auxillary input. The only thing you will find in the back are two receptacles for wiring harnesses.

·
Registered
102 Posts
FM transmitter

has anyone tried this out. I was thinking about getting this with an mp3 player for the MDX, maybe you should try it out sega- take a look-only 28 bucks.
Larry

·
Registered
101 Posts
Re: FM transmitter

larryhot13 said:
has anyone tried this out. I was thinking about getting this with an mp3 player for the MDX, maybe you should try it out sega- take a look-only 28 bucks.
Larry
Yes, I tried the iRock FM transmitter this week. Unfortunately, it only has 4 transmit channels and all 4 of them had enough other transmission strength that I couldn't get clean reception. Maybe it works well in other areas, but not here in Seattle. I may purchase a SoundFeeder - they allow tuning of any clear FM channel.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I use a sony cassette adapter -- works great! Why mess with FM transmitters?

·
Registered
4 Posts
The FM transmitter mentioned earlier is a great solution to using mp3 format on a standard auto FM radio. If the Radio Shack model did not work, look at the FM Transmitter designed and sold by C Crane Company (www.ccrane.com). It work great. If you get one and the range seems less than advertised, there is an adjustment screw under the rear label (turn the largest adjustment screw all the way to the right). Note this transmitter allows you to broadcast to any frequency in the FM band.

I'm not assoicated with C Crane Company, just a very satisified customer.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Not to be too critical, Martin, but you don't say where you're from --- some FM transmitters don't work well in congested areas. For that matter, they suck for the long distance traveller who is driving in and out of congested areas. I prefer the cassette adapter because it doesn't require a clear FM position on the dial that changes with location. I've used FM transmitters in the past for portable CD players, and was not satisfied.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I understand that you may have had poor performance from short range FM transmitters. Most of them are "toys." However the one I mentioned is truly an exception. One of the advantages of this transmitter is the ability to tune it to any frequency in the FM range (88.30 to 107.70; note that it can be set to 92.2 or 92.25 etc.) This gives you the ability to exactly match the frequency any on your particular radio.

It's not a "toy" nor is it's performance that of a "toy"; nor is it's price tag of $99.

I use one on my PC. It connected to the output of my sound card. I play all of my mp3 music to a full sized stereo Yahama system about 15 feet away from the PC via this transmitter; it works anywhere within my home. I've used it in may cars (new MDX and Prelude) very successfully. By adjusting the broadcast power, I've never had a problem finding a "spot" on the FM dial that's "quiet" enough for this system to work.

If someone is considering using an FM Transmitter, give this one serious consideration. When I first received it, it seemed under powered. I spoke with the designer, Chris Justice, who was very helpful and was very concerned that I was satisifed with it's performance. C Crane has a very generous return policy. If a customer is not happy they will take it back.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Excellent options

I think I'd rather try the $20 cassette adapter first - mainly because its a less expensive option.

2002 - how's the audio quality? IS it in stereo? Or some horribly crossed mono? That's the real question I have that makes me hesitate on this technology.

If that doesn't work, I'm going for the C Crane xmitter. I've heard good things in other places about this particular unit (ipodlounge.com gives it a nod). I just don't want to spend another $100 if I don't have to. But obviously this unit is the Cadillac (or MDX) of FM transmitters.

Thanks all - this is great input.

·
Registered
89 Posts
fx WAVE

My experience with the fxWAVE FM transmitter, model FX-100 in the MDX, was not good (in the MDX. The reception faded in and out with a lot of static. Perhaps it was because the MDX's antenna is on the roof toward the back? I've used the fxWAVE in another vehicle and was able to place the fm transmitter on the dash closer to the antenna and the results were very good.

One drawback to the model that I used is the battery life. It uses two AAA battteries which eventually need replacement.

I prefer using the Cassette Adapter. I use it with my laptop when the kids want to watch DVDs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts