Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This winter I installed additional lighting in the MDX. I do find the factory lights on the vehicle to be good, but what I really wanted to do was add light to the sides of the highways, to be able to see animals that are approaching the road.

Last night while driving on some dark back highways, I took a couple of photos that highlight how effective they are! I’m quite pleased with the results.

First, with the factory lights including the high beams:

Second, with 25,000+ lumens of extra light!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Please share some photos of your X showing the light bar?

I don’t usually take photos of it for posting in the winter because it’s never really clean. But it’s not too bad today.

I’m actually on a mining site this week, so the safety strobes and flag are also on the vehicle.

The lights are installed inside the front lower air dam, and under the front roof crossbar.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Wow, someone actually found the hood deflector. Interesting. Didn't think it was sold around the states.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like the install! Good Job! Anything special with where or what the On/Off switch looks like?

I had more items to switch on and off than just the AUX lights. There aren’t very many places in the MDX to put extra switches.

So after spending a lot of time trying to figure out a solution, I went with this product.

https://www.amazon.com/BANDC-Capacitive-Control-Marine-Caravan/dp/B01LYMOGJE

It has 6 touch switches on it that communicate with a relay box. The switches are mounted in the left corner of the dash, the relay module is under the dash.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thought that I had already posted these photos back when the job was done 2-1/2 years ago. But I can’t actually find them anywhere, and someone was recently asking me if I could share them.

I passed the wires from the dash to the roof up the A-Pillar being careful to not let them cross the path of the airbags in the event they are ever needed and go off in an accident.

I did have to make a hole (obviously) to get the wires to the roof. I removed the crossbars and the roof rails and found a location where I could make a hole that would be underneath the rail so as to be hidden, and also not interfere with any wiring or SRS inside the cabin. The MDX does have side curtain airbags so it’s imperative to be aware of those.

This is the view from the roof, with a primer on the exposed metal to keep it from ever rusting.

This is the view from inside.

In the photo you can see the SRS bag attached right below the hole, but it’s a good location as the wires don’t interfere with anything.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After passing the wire through I used an all weather RTV sealant on it to make sure no water could ever get through. Incidentally, 1-1/2 years later when I had to remove everything to have the roof repainted (black) I inspected the work and was pleased to see that there had not been any deterioration in the seal.

I then passed the wire up through the base of the roof rail. I had strategically chosen the spot for the hole where it would allow me to pass the wires through the rail base, making any necessary holes in such a way to not undermine the structural integrity of the rail system. I don’t carry anything more than bikes on the roof crossbars, but I definitely didn’t want to weaken it. The wires go through the inside face of the rail base at the exact spot where the crossbar attaches.

There is just enough space to make all the terminations and still reattach the chrome rail cover after and hide everything.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
To install the LED light bars on the cross underside of the crossbars I made a custom bracket for them. They are bent at the same radius as the crossbar to make a nice snug fit. I chose light bars that I knew would fit underneath the crossbar. They are a very slim profile design.

The wires pass in through where the crossbar attaches to the rail. I didn’t use any sealant here, as everything is just plastic anyways.

Once the cover goes back onto the crossbar, all that’s left is a small hole and short section of wire to the light pod.

Once mounted, there is just enough room to still pass a wash cloth for cleaning, drying, waxing, etc…

The end result is a neat, unobtrusive package that doesn’t (in my opinion) detract from the elegance and design of the MDX. Even after having them on for over 2 years, there are still people who are unaware that I even have them installed there.

Of course, having the roof painted black later makes them blend in and hide even more effectively!

·
Registered
3 Posts
To install the LED light bars on the cross underside of the crossbars I made a custom bracket for them. They are bent at the same radius as the crossbar to make a nice snug fit. I chose light bars that I knew would fit underneath the crossbar. They are a very slim profile design.

The wires pass in through where the crossbar attaches to the rail. I didn’t use any sealant here, as everything is just plastic anyways.

Once the cover goes back onto the crossbar, all that’s left is a small hole and short section of wire to the light pod.

Once mounted, there is just enough room to still pass a wash cloth for cleaning, drying, waxing, etc…

The end result is a neat, unobtrusive package that doesn’t (in my opinion) detract from the elegance and design of the MDX. Even after having them on for over 2 years, there are still people who are unaware that I even have them installed there.

Of course, having the roof painted black later makes them blend in and hide even more effectively!

Can I just have you install them for me and call it a day? Lol I do wanna have my roof either wrapped or painted black as well. Also getting a Thule in the next few weeks so it’ll be nice to see it all out together. I just need the time and patience.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Can I just have you install them for me and call it a day? Lol I do wanna have my roof either wrapped or painted black as well. Also getting a Thule in the next few weeks so it’ll be nice to see it all out together. I just need the time and patience.
Two things I don’t have lmfaoooo

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey Mdx-4me, do you have the 10" units mounted directly to the plastic of your lower bumper?
They are not. I made brackets that are actually bolted to the steel bumper behind the plastic. Had to remove the bumper trim in order to do that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I see. At 5lbs each for the 10" units it does make sense to have a sturdy mounting surface. I'm going to reach out to customer service to see if I can just mount a pair of 6" units to the plastic.

Thank you for sharing your lighting execution btw (y)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I see. At 5lbs each for the 10" units it does make sense to have a sturdy mounting surface. I'm going to reach out to customer service to see if I can just mount a pair of 6" units to the plastic.

Thank you for sharing your lighting execution btw (y)
I wish that I had taken a photo of how I had mounted the brackets I made, but I forgot until the bumper was already back on. But it was just basically some flat bar bent in a U shape. The top bolted to the bumper via holes that I drilled and tapped (1/4-20 I believe) and the lower part of the U protruded slightly into the space inside the bumper cover opening. Onto that I attached the mounting hardware that came with the lights.

The advantage as well is no “bouncing” of the lights over bumps on the road.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts