Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i came across a part for the automatic transmission filter for the 2004 acura mdx is this true or not, i thought we didn't have a filter for the 2004 mdx can some body please help me out here? i'm stumped. and if so can someone show me the location of this transmission filter :hmmm::hmmm:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just purchased a 2005 MDX. And while checking everything over under the car I noticed there is no tranny pan to remove. There is a cover with 3 bolts retaining the cover, on the driver side of the tranny towards the top front of the case. This may be a filter cover??? But it also may be a servo cover. Find out first before taking bolts out!!! I have also purchased a DERALE external spin on filter to capture more debris, and will be installing this weekend along with a large tranny cooler out front.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
There's a small filter that lives inside the tranny, under a cover with a couple 6mm bolts, and a small pipe going to it. They're only a few bucks, but the effort to install one is outrageous unless you already have the tranny apart for some other reason. There's also a tiny little filter on the valve body, and a strainer associated with the pick-up tube.

Personally, I'd just cut one of the tranny cooler lines and install an inline, magnetic external filter. That's not going to fix a plugged internal filter, but if you're just doing it as a preventative measure, it's going to catch more metal and debris than you'd catch without it. Very likely, a lot more.

·
Registered
240 Posts
My understanding lines up with habbyguy's: there is a filter, it is replaceable, but it's internal and thus a giant PIA to get to. Acura's position is that it is not a part that needs to be serviced, that it should last the life of the transmission.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
What pibcak (and Honda/Acura) says makes a lot of sense... really, by the time a transmission has enough crud floating around in the fluid to plug up the filter, it's probably toast anyway.

Still, given the predisposition of these trannies to fail, it WOULD be nice to give ourselves every possible advantage, particularly when (if my understanding is correct) the "programming upgrade" to our trannies was to increase the shift RPM to keep the tranny fluid pressure higher so the clutch packs would engage better... if so, and if the filter causes even a little pressure drop... better to be able to change 'em, IMHO.

I did once replace a similar filter in a VW Jetta turbo - I had to drop and split the tranny to replace a $10 sensor (D'Oh!), and figured while I have it open it would be dumb to NOT replace the filter. But there's no way on earth I would have done "just the filter"... it's a whole lot of hours to get a tranny out of, and back into a modern car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts