Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there has been some discussion about the auto headlights not coming on until it gets fairly dark out - my X seems to be guilty of this also. Is there any way to adjust the light level of the dash sensor using the car's electronics and without just putting tape over it?

Also, my state (VA) the law requires the headlights to be on when the windshield wipers are on. I there any way to accomplish this using the auto wiper circuit? I would like the auto wipers to come on and also turn on the headlights, which I keep in auto mode.

I also have a minor complaint that the wipers seem to go from intermittent to fast to slow during rain regardless if it is raining heavily or not. Is this normal? Where is that sensor?

·
Registered
184 Posts
The rain sensing wipers sense the intensity of the rain as well as the speed at which you are going and therefore they go off really fast after some time....I am having the exact same issue, and dont know of any way to fix it.

There is one way though...dont use the the automatic setting. I find this change in speed really irritating !

·
Registered
93 Posts
As someone who doesn't have their MDX yet, I'm confused.:confused: :confused: I can't turn on the lights manually?? I'm only asking, because like the OP, I live in a state that requires the lights to be on when the windshield wipers are on, and most times it wouldn't be dark enough for the lights to be on.

·
Registered
184 Posts
jelbnl,
Auto is just an option on the Headlights. You can manually turn them on or off anytime you want....thats what I do !

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thanks kamalsyal for the quick reply!!! I sure feel silly now!!!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Rain Sensing Whipers

kamalsyal said:
The rain sensing wipers sense the intensity of the rain as well as the speed at which you are going and therefore they go off really fast after some time....I am having the exact same issue, and dont know of any way to fix it.

There is one way though...dont use the the automatic setting. I find this change in speed really irritating !
I have found this option to work fairly well. Also note there is a manual adjust knob that allows you to adjust how sensitive the rain sensing wipers are to the amount of rain. Rotate this adjustment to the + and the wipers activate more frequently, rotate to the - and they are less sensitive to rain on the windshield.

On the other hand, I do not like the auto-on headlights as they do not come on soon enough. It would be nice if these had a sensitivity adjustment as do the rain sensing wipers.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I've done what someone else suggested and that was to put an old film exposure cut-out over the auto-light sensor, and ever since then the lights have always come on at dusk and work great!

·
Registered
115 Posts
How do you get the film to stay on the light sensor? Do you tape it down?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Auto Headlights

If you turn the headlights on, then they won't go off automatically when you get out of the car.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Yes, I just put a very, very, very small piece of tape on the corner of the film cut-out (cu to same size as sensor), and it fits and stays perfectly on top of the sensor and filters out just enough light that around dusk, the lights always come on now. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts