Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not use it often but:

Kinda worried about the wear on the starter.

Also worry about the constant foot pressure needed to get it to stop, any possible harm there?

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
The MDX sport hybrid doesn't have a button to disable Auto Start/Stop (A.S.S.). A.S.S. can kick in at anytime and any speed, even at hwy speeds. Probably even more wear/tear compared to the 3.5L MDX. The only way you can disable A.S.S. in the hybrid is in Sport+ mode because it locks out EV mode, keeps the V-6 running all the time, and provides max gas/electric power until you change IDS or restart the MDX.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The MDX sport hybrid doesn't have a button to disable Auto Start/Stop (A.S.S.). A.S.S. can kick in at anytime and any speed, even at hwy speeds. Probably even more wear/tear compared to the 3.5L MDX. The only way you can disable A.S.S. in the hybrid is in Sport+ mode because it locks out EV mode, keeps the V-6 running all the time, and provides max gas/electric power until you change IDS or restart the MDX.
I know the cost for a starter and Acura labor would not making using this feature worth it.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I'm not 100% sure is the starter is being used or in combination with the electric motor within the 7DCT on the hybrid with A.S.S. when moving?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I use it all the time.You can feather the brake to keep it from shutting off.Back in the old days I read that a starter motor was designed to run continuously for 12 hours.But,it was only used for a few seconds at a time.In today's world ,They can make a motor that can last the life of the vehicle and matched with an AGM battery..I would not worry about it's early failure.Look how long a well pump can last and its size is not large. 30 or 40 years.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Longevity I wouldn’t be concerned about. It’s not as smooth as other cars when starting back up, but I also got tired of having to hit a button to disable every time.. so I got used to it. Control it with brake pedal pressure to have the car run before the light turns green helps.

Is it effective; that would be another question.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not 100% sure is the starter is being used or in combination with the electric motor within the 7DCT on the hybrid with A.S.S. when moving?
I do not have a hybrid but I do remember when I had a RX450 that they starter motor was not used for this feature.

Like the450 except for the CVT transmission. I like gears.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The last comment made Me do some research.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Would using the Brake/Hold feature also disable Auto Start/Stop since you foot is off the brake?

·
Registered
288 Posts
There are times when the restart is practically unnoticeable and other times it jars you and the car a bit. I think it was put in for Acura's benefit, not ours. For better CAFE ratings. I don't care for it much, but at least I can turn it off. A bunch of newer GM cars don't have an OFF button, so the feature can't be defeated. I passed on buying a new Buick Enclave Avenir because it was not defeatable. There were a couple of other reasons I didn't buy it, though, but the lack of OFF button was one of them.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
There are times when the restart is practically unnoticeable and other times it jars you and the car a bit. I think it was put in for Acura's benefit, not ours. For better CAFE ratings. I don't care for it much, but at least I can turn it off. A bunch of newer GM cars don't have an OFF button, so the feature can't be defeated. I passed on buying a new Buick Enclave Avenir because it was not defeatable. There were a couple of other reasons I didn't buy it, though, but the lack of OFF button was one of them.
In my Bmw,once you turn it off it stays off. I like that.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Does the Hybrid MDX have a CVT or regular tranny.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Reactions: greggebhardt

·
Registered
36 Posts
Auto Start/Stop works perfectly on my 2018 MDX Hybrid. Generally it is super smooth when launching from stop and always smooth at speed. Based on Acura reliability am not expecting a problem, but since I only have 19K on it only time will tell.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I do not use it often but:

Kinda worried about the wear on the starter.

Also worry about the constant foot pressure needed to get it to stop, any possible harm there?
Ridiculous that one can't permanently disable this dumb feature. Do all the 2019 an 2020 Acura MDX models have the push button shifting instead of a lever?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Anyone noticed that you can't use polarized sun glasses when viewing the message screens, navigation, XM etc? No problem with my previous 2007, but real problem with my 2014.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts