Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 MDX sh-awd advance with auto start/stop feature. The car has 300 or so miles on it. I was driving down the road and thought I would try the auto/start stop feature. I pushed the control button and noticed a quick hesitation but nothing more. When I came to a stop the engine continued running. The tachometer clearly indicated the engine had not stopped. I tried numerous stops, pushing the button on an then off again but the car would never turn off. Is there something else I need to do to get it working? Unless someone can help me I am going to have to take it back to the dealer. Appreciate your help!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think you are referring to "idle stop" which shuts the car off when coming to a stop. I am pretty sure the default setting is that the feature is "on." When you come to a stop, the dashboard should tell you that in order to engage idle stop and shut off the engine, you should depress the brake pedal even further. To start up again either move your foot off the brake slightly or fully or move the steering wheel. I have the same model as you and have 1100 miles on it. Been working every time i want to engage it. The button on the center console is to turn it off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for replying. I didn't know the auto stop was a default item. So now I know it has never worked. The engine had never cut off automatically, ever, I pushed the brake harder when stopping, thinking it might make a difference but it did not. So I will make an appointment with the dealership tomorrow. I hope I can get it in Thursday or Friday.

·
Registered
366 Posts
It won't turn on right away if the engine is cold (I've noticed), so if you're just going on very short trips, it might not turn on.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Thanks for replying. I didn't know the auto stop was a default item. So now I know it has never worked. The engine had never cut off automatically, ever, I pushed the brake harder when stopping, thinking it might make a difference but it did not. So I will make an appointment with the dealership tomorrow. I hope I can get it in Thursday or Friday.
You may have turned it off by mistake. Check your manual to see if you have to turn it back on.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
^^ The above few posters need the OP to report back on what was preventing their auto start/stop from working - then they can apply that 'reverse fix' to theirs to disable the function full time.

Note - I think it's silly to not have a ready way to disable the function full time through a vehicle setting. This is more social engineering for us - trying to force our behavior a certain way whether we like it or not.

·
Registered
72 Posts
^^ The above few posters need the OP to report back on what was preventing their auto start/stop from working - then they can apply that 'reverse fix' to theirs to disable the function full time.

Note - I think it's silly to not have a ready way to disable the function full time through a vehicle setting. This is more social engineering for us - trying to force our behavior a certain way whether we like it or not.
Agreed. Other manufacturers (I know BMW specifically) started out this way but later models remembered the setting across drives.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts

The OP said he was hitting the button. In other words he was turning it off. I don't have a 16. I don't know if it's a toggle on/off switch. Or if once you hit it it stays off until you restart the car.
If they give you a way to permanently disable that function. They can't use it to raise the EPA mileage rating. Everything is about mileage ratings these days.

·
Registered
366 Posts
The OP said he was hitting the button. In other words he was turning it off. I don't have a 16. I don't know if it's a toggle on/off switch. Or if once you hit it it stays off until you restart the car.
If they give you a way to permanently disable that function. They can't use it to raise the EPA mileage rating. Everything is about mileage ratings these days.
There's an On/Off button right below the shifter. The system always reverts to 'On' when the car is turned on, regardless of whether it was 'Off' when the car was shutdown prior.

If you press the Auto-Start button, the screen between the tach and speedo informs you that the feature is disabled. After a few seconds, that screen goes back to whatever it was before (SH-AWD graphic, MPG display, Oil life, etc.). Also inside the tach there's a small light (similar to a check engine or brake light) that stays lit indicating the feature is deactivated (If I recall, it's am amber A with the arrows above it and a cross through it showing it is crossed-out or deactivated). It's VERY intuitive in regards to the car informing you the system is off. When the engine is auto shut-off, the same logo lights up in Green without the slash through it. All that said, the system is SUPER simple and it's very intuitive and easy to tell if the system is on/off, etc. So the fact that it's so obvious and the OP has issues, does make me think something might not be right with his car.

If the OP has found a way to permanently disable the feature, that might be worthwhile.

I have found that when it is SUPER hot (in Texas), the system is less likely to activate, and when it does, it only stays off for 10-15 seconds before re-firing the engine. I've exhibited at a reasonable length red light that the engine will shut off, turn on, shut off again on its own before the light turns green. Finally, I've also noticed that when the car is first started and the engine is cold, the system almost never activates. Cars warm up fast in Texas Summer, but for the first handful of lights, it generally doesn't work.

In regards to the defroster, interestingly enough, when I use the Engine Remote Start, when I get into my car, I always notice the defrosters are on. Even after starting the car intentionally when I'm about to drive, the defrosters stay on (which is kind of annoying). When it's 100F outside, I don't need my defrosters on, and it doesn't seem to shut off. I understand that the car in the winter should turn the defrosters on, but it'd be nice if the system realized it's 100 degrees and defrosters aren't necessary (or perhaps it uses the defroster to override auto start/stop???). I do assume that like most cars, after 10 or so minutes, the defrosters automatically turn off. I haven't tested that theory as I've only used auto start/stop a handful of times and each time I catch it within a few minutes of driving.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
when I use the Engine Remote Start...
(I don't have the auto start/stop feature since I have a 2014) Aren't the remote start and auto stop almost oxymoronic - i.e. counter to each other in their principal - where the former is purposely designed to have the vehicle running when it doesn't really need to be since no one's in it, and the latter is purposely designed to have the vehicle not run when it somewhat needs to be running since the driver's in it?

I realize the real purpose of the remote start is to warm up or cool down the vehicle prior to entry and the purpose of the auto start/stop is to gain some efficiency during brief transient stopping points but still, consider how the same vehicle has the two , almost opposed, functionalities.

Question - when you do the remote start, how long will it run before it shuts off and does the auto start/stop function have any impact on it or is that only activated when one's foot is on the brake (and stopped for a while)?

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
If they give you a way to permanently disable that function. They can't use it to raise the EPA mileage rating.
I've wondered if that might be the reason for the lack of a setting to disable it but do you know whether what you stated is really a certainty? How do you know that's the case? There's some logic to it until you consider that other vehicles with the same feature have ways to disable it via a setting as stated by a previous poster.

·
Registered
366 Posts
(I don't have the auto start/stop feature since I have a 2014) Aren't the remote start and auto stop almost oxymoronic - i.e. counter to each other in their principal - where the former is purposely designed to have the vehicle running when it doesn't really need to be since no one's in it, and the latter is purposely designed to have the vehicle not run when it somewhat needs to be running since the driver's in it?

I realize the real purpose of the remote start is to warm up or cool down the vehicle prior to entry and the purpose of the auto start/stop is to gain some efficiency during brief transient stopping points but still, consider how the same vehicle has the two , almost opposed, functionalities.

Question - when you do the remote start, how long will it run before it shuts off and does the auto start/stop function have any impact on it or is that only activated when one's foot is on the brake (and stopped for a while)?
I disagree, I think both are worthwhile. I'm willing to burn gas unnecessarily to make myself more comfortable. For the same reason, I pay to run my A/C in the Summer and heater in the winter. I won't die if I don't, but comfort is worth $.

Likewise, if I can save fuel shutting down the engine when not being used (while the A/C and radio and all comfort systems still run), I say let's do it!

Similarly, we pay extra for cars that have advanced tech to provide more efficiency while providing ample power. If we absolutely didn't care about gas, we'd all drive huge V8 pushrod SUVs. That said, when it's 105F outside, paying a few cents extra gas to go into a relatively cooler car is worth it. In fact, I make up for that wasted gas by shutting off the engine at lights.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I disagree, I think both are worthwhile.
I don't think we actually disagree. I was just pointing out the 'sort of' dichotomy in the two but then went ahead and stated I understand the two purposes. I'm not opposed to or arguing against either feature - just mentioning the two somewhat opposed functions.

I don't have or feel a need for the remote start, even though it was 105 yesterday where I live (unusually hot for here), but that's largely because I live in one of the mildest climates in the country. If I lived in Phoenix or North Dakota I'd likely want it.

I also would like to be able to override an auto start/stop system without having to hit the button every single time I start the vehicle if I wanted to. It'd be a simple no-cost thing to do in the vehicle settings software and is something a number of other vehicle manufacturers offer so I don't think I'm the only one who'd want that. But, I have a 2014 so I don't have the feature anyway. Maybe I'd end up getting used to it but if I decided I didn't like it I'd rather be able to switch it off permanently.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I don't think we actually disagree. I was just pointing out the 'sort of' dichotomy in the two but then went ahead and stated I understand the two purposes. I'm not opposed to or arguing against either feature - just mentioning the two somewhat opposed functions.

I don't have or feel a need for the remote start, even though it was 105 yesterday where I live (unusually hot for here), but that's largely because I live in one of the mildest climates in the country. If I lived in Phoenix or North Dakota I'd likely want it.

I also would like to be able to override an auto start/stop system without having to hit the button every single time I start the vehicle if I wanted to. It'd be a simple no-cost thing to do in the vehicle settings software and is something a number of other vehicle manufacturers offer so I don't think I'm the only one who'd want that. But, I have a 2014 so I don't have the feature anyway. Maybe I'd end up getting used to it but if I decided I didn't like it I'd rather be able to switch it off permanently.
Sorry, just misunderstood you. I prefer Remote Start over Auto Start-Stop, if I had to pick one.

It'd be nice to be able to disable it, but it seems to work, and it's really not a big issue either way (it's not so important any way you slice it). I'm already used to it, but it wouldn't be on any shopping list for a future car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Took my 2016 MDX sh-was adv in to the dealer today regarding the auto/start stop feature. My service advisor called me at 3:50pm after having the car all day to tell me that two onboard computers aren't talking to each other so that's why the auto shut off feature isn't working. He said they will keep it over night and work on it tomorrow. So at this point I can only hope these people know what they are doing. I am just hoping they don't screw something else up while trying to fix the auto stop feature. I have to confess that I am a little disturbed that a brand new car with only 400 miles on it is having problems already.

I have also noticed that I seem to be the only one having this particular problem. Everything else about the car is great. The transmission and all the other electronics work perfectly.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts