Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just went to the acura site and one of the features of the MDX is auto-off headlights. What is that? I only know that if I leave the headlights on when I shut the engine off, the MDX beeps at me. What is auto-off headlights then?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hmm - auto headlights is a feature I don't believe we have. My brother's ML500 has an auto on/off feature that just uses a photosensor to determine when to turn them on or off. Maybe if we leave our lights on when we turn the car off, it will turn off after a bit? Never tried it...

Or, maybe it's a "secret" 2003 feature...

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
MDXtrous said:
Just went to the acura site and one of the features of the MDX is auto-off headlights. What is that? I only know that if I leave the headlights on when I shut the engine off, the MDX beeps at me. What is auto-off headlights then?
You can leave the lights on. When you do so, it will beep, but after 20 or 30 seconds the lights will shut off. I frequently leave the lights on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
yeah, they turn off

yep, i've seen my turn off automatically before. don't
remember exactly, but i believe if you turn off the engine
and leave the lights on, they eventually turn themselves
off. maybe key has to be out or doors closed too.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interior lights too?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oops, the title of the thread I posted says, "Auto-off headlights":rolleyes: I've answered my own question...

But thanks for the tips, I didn't know about the feature...

·
Registered
928 Posts
as a side comment...

a couple of weeks ago I was detailing my Gigi. I shut off the engine, but left the key in the ignition and I had the radio on.
After a while, all of a sudden the radio went dead, upon examining closer I noticed I forgot to turn off the headlites. They were ON for about 2 hours after I shut off the ignition - no auto-off. I couldn't start the truck although there was power, but maybe not enough 'jouce' to start the engine? Anyway, I called AAA (after I waited for 45 min. for TLC's response), and they sent a truck in 15 min. The fun part was when the guy showed up with jumper cables, my Gigi must've had a spasm or something (or probably the battery recharged???) - anyways, I cranked the engine right infront of the guy. I appologized for the trouble, he just shrugged off with "maybe it's one of those new smart computer thingies"???

This part still is a question mark for me. :confused: Otherwise, in past 2 weeks no problems...

·
Registered
307 Posts
Paraphrasing the owner's manual,

When you leave the lights on, they will shut themselves off after a few minutes. This is recommended especially when you are parking in a dark area for the exra security afforded by lighting the area.
Upon re-starting, however, they will not turn on and you have to turn them off, then on to light em up.

kind of a bummer...my 95 Impala SS has auto on and off lights "Twilight Sentinel" they call it. It's a Chevy....

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
MannyE -- whaddaya mean, "Upon re-starting, however, they will not turn on and you have to turn them off, then on to light em up"? Not on my X, you don't -- in fact, they come back on when you unlock the doors with the key fob, and/or when you open the door if you hadn't locked it. :confused: FWIW, mine's an '01, but I doubt if there's any difference between that and an '02 as far as this feature is concerned.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
frostyra said:
-- in fact, they come back on when you unlock the doors with the key fob, and/or when you open the door if you hadn't locked it. ..... FWIW, mine's an '01, but I doubt if there's any difference between that and an '02 as far as this feature is concerned.
Same here, you are correct. Mine is a 02 and they also come on again when the door is unlocked or opened. If you unlock the door but do not open it within 15 seconds they will go off again.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have to stop posting after I shoot up. I can't even understand why I wrote that..What I meant was the owner's manual says that they won't automatically turn on...you have to do it yourself. Unless you already had them on the night before in which case I imagine they will turn back on the next time you start the car.... what?

:32:

·
Registered
307 Posts
and of course I meant they won't turn on automatically with darkness. They will turn on in the cases listed above.

automatically....

the lights.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
MannyE - LOL! Glad we got that straightened out! (and nice shrubbery, by the way - if you want to see something great, go here Camelot, my kid found this last Saturday)

Back to the interior lights question, I've noticed that if you leave the rear hatch open with the engine off, the interior lights will turn themselves off after several minutes.

Pretty sure this is true of the doors as well, but if you manually turn on the overhead lights, they stay on (overnight, in my case). Nothing is foolproof cuz fools can be so ingenious.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
sgtglok said:
as a side comment...

a couple of weeks ago I was detailing my Gigi. I shut off the engine, but left the key in the ignition and I had the radio on.
After a while, all of a sudden the radio went dead, upon examining closer I noticed I forgot to turn off the headlites. They were ON for about 2 hours after I shut off the ignition - no auto-off. I couldn't start the truck although there was power, but maybe not enough 'jouce' to start the engine? Anyway, I called AAA (after I waited for 45 min. for TLC's response), and they sent a truck in 15 min. The fun part was when the guy showed up with jumper cables, my Gigi must've had a spasm or something (or probably the battery recharged???) - anyways, I cranked the engine right infront of the guy. I appologized for the trouble, he just shrugged off with "maybe it's one of those new smart computer thingies"???

This part still is a question mark for me. :confused: Otherwise, in past 2 weeks no problems...

Auto-Off will only work if key is removed from ignition and the doors are shut. You may even have to lock the doors to activate. Then when you start they come on automatically.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Headlight will automatic shutoff in about 13 seconds after your turn off the engine and close the door.

the interior light will automatic shutoff after few minutes if it is on the auto on/off mode. (on when door opens, off when door closes)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts