Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally did it...after a year of waiting to get out from under my Durango, the dealer gave me what I needed to get out from it...and they even had exactly what I wanted on the lot!

Just got it Saturday and love it.

One question...can you set the locks to automatically lock when you start it or when you reach a certain speed?
It was a nice option I have had on other vehicles and I did not see anything about it in the manual.

Anybbody know about this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Steve ~
There is not an auto-lock feature on the 'X.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm really happy with my X, but it needs the auto-locking system. I prefer the systems that lock whenever the vehicle is placed into DRIVE and unlocks when placed into PARK. I forget to lock the doors probably 50% of the time, which is not a good thing.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
ironed try this website

they have a locking door device, auto start, and an entire system which will give glass detection, impact protection, and towing protection. I went with the solaris system.

click here:

www.clifford.com

:D

·
Registered
248 Posts
Door locks

If you search the archives, this topic has been discussed extensively.

My main fault with automatic locking systems is that in the event of a collision, while the vehicle is in drive, the doors may remain locked, and may prevent a timely exit/escape from a damaged vehicle. Having previously worked in EMS, it is much easier to OPEN a door than to PRY it open with spreaders (Jaws of Life)

cbarry

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
cbarry with clifford can override system

You can always over-ride the system manually in case of an accident, that why I choose to go with a high end alarm which has the most advanced features!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Not in a BAD accident!

paul123 said:
You can always over-ride the system manually in case of an accident...
True, but if the accident if bad enough where you are unconscious, or barely conscious, it would be difficult to manually override the door-locking system. These locked doors would then make it more difficult for emergency workers to get inside and help you.

Since recent studies have shown that a majority of car-jackings occur while getting in and out of your vehicle, it seems that a door-locking system is of very limited use (and potentially harmful as in the case above)

cbarry

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
cbarry not true

Most people lock their doors anyway when the vehicle is in motion. So it wouldn't matter if you had an auto-locking system, the doors would be locked anyway. It is much more dangerious to leave the doors unlocked because if you were in an accident the doors could fly open and cause death or much more serious injury! Most auto safety courses recommend that you lock doors once the vehicle is in motion, especially with children. If you should be thrown from vehicle, the chances are much greater for death and serious injury. Again an auto-locking system would be the same as if you manually locked the doors, not decreasing safety but actually increasing safety should you forget to lock. Almost all emergency service worker have a device that can easily open a locked car door with no problem.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree...

Paul123,
I am not going to argue the point any further. I am just giving my opinion as a former Emergency Medical Technician, and as a current Pediatric Health Care Provider:

Bottom line: You are safer with your doors unlocked, as long as the passengers are properly belted in (infants/children included).

cbarry

P.S. I do not think MOST people lock their doors while driving. Maybe I'm wrong. We could do a poll...

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
all auto manufacturers recommend locking doors

Mostly all auto manufacturers say it's safer to lock doors when driving to prevent them from opening during an accident. I don't understand how you can think it's safer to drive with children in car with open doors. Car manufacturers even have child locks on the back door so a child cannot open or unlock once it's locked. Fire department and most all emergency worker also say to lock the doors too. Like you said we will have to agree to disagree. I don't think any family with children drive with there door open. As a former emergency worker I'm sure you know they can open a door on a car just as easy as we can tear a piece of paper!

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
I'm with cbarry on this one

Notwithstanding that I personally find autolocking doors to be one of the most annoying "features", I think you'd be hardpressed to find a law enforcement or emergency services agency stating that it's safer to always have your doors locked for the reasons cbarry mentioned, and that I can corroborate w/8 years of police agency experience. Of course, I've been out of that for almost 10 years, so maybe there's new news that I don't know about -- but I highly doubt it. Then again, maybe you're asking the NYPD and I am relating the suburban perspective.

Obviously, it might be safer on some city streets (esp at stoplights); it's definitely safer in "bad" neighborhoods. I personally like to decide myself when my doors should be locked (or not) depending on the circumstances.

I would hardly characterize prying open a locked door with the "jaws-of-life" or breaking windows with axes or batons as easy as "tearing a piece of paper", nor would I accept that the time to extract someone is the same for locked vs. unlocked doors. That simply is not the case.

I am not sure which car manufacturers state the doors are more likely to remain closed in a collision when they are locked. Certainly the doors must meet certain federal crash safety standards whether locked or not, don't they? In addition, although I'm not a locksmith nor an engineer, I believe locking the doors really just disables the internal/external handles but does nothing to the latching mechanism itself -- it's not like deadbolting the front door to your house.

I know that BMW's have a very cool feature that automatically unlocks the doors in the event of an airbag deployment (and it automatically activates the hazards, too). Since airbags deploy within milliseconds of a collision, this would indicate to me that at least BMW doesn't believe the doors should remain locked.

Finally, the "child safety" locks on the back doors of many automobiles will not allow the door to be opened from the inside regardless of whether they are locked or not. That is certainly the case on the MDX.

I'd like to see some links re: any studies or articles saying it's safer to lock doors all the time, in addition to anything you might have found/read on the greater propensity of doors to fly open when unlocked. To tell you the truth, I couldn't find anything -- supporting either your perspective or cbarry's/mine -- online :confused:

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
I definetly disagree

This would mean you think auto door should never be locked when children are in a car. How could that be safe? I've seen articles stating that when a car is in motion doors should be locked when children are traveling. How could you think its safer to leave doors unlocked all the time!

P.S. I'll try to find a link to back-up

I'm getting warmer, I just found this:
They mention it may stop roof from crushing in during roll-over
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/regrev/evaluate/807489.html

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
That isn't what I said or implied. Obviously you want to prevent kids from unilaterally opening doors whether the car's in motion or not. This is accomplished with the child safety locks on the rear door jambs -- the inside handle is rendered inoperative whether the doors are locked or not. Go try it in the 'X. Although you seem to acknowledge this in an earlier reply to cbarry.

The key questions -- unanswered by that NHTSA document (which I had seen earlier and which co-mingles latch/lock/hinge improvements...not to mention the fact that the standards referenced are 30+ years old and the study was on unrestrainted occupants) -- is it safer to lock doors all the time while driving (i.e., risk of carjacking vs. risk of crashing w/doors locked), and is there a greater propensity for doors to fly open when unlocked (i.e., does the locking mechanism provide additional security on the latch itself or does it just disable use of the handles)?

Of course, we can both be happy without forcing each other to do something we might not be comfortable with: you can use the chrome-plated "lock" button on the driver's door to lock the doors every time you're underway, and I'll just use it when I'm parked in the car, or on surface street/stop+go in the 'hood.

That way, people like me don't have to pay for the extra engineering, manufacture, and assembly of a "feature" we don't want :)

I wonder whether we should write Click & Clack :) It's an interesting discussion.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Auto locks are GREAT!

Why would anyone NOT want automatic locks? I really miss the auto lock feature that I had on my Chrysler Town & Country minivan. I travel in Baltimore City a lot, and constantly check my doors to make sure they are locked. I never even thought about it in my T & C. As for safety in an accident, according to the Chrysler manual, in the event of an airbag discharge, the doors are automatically unlocked after 30 seconds to enable you to escape or rescue workers to get in - what a great idea! I am considering the Solaris system just for the auto door lock function.

·
Registered
392 Posts

That way, people like me don't have to pay for the extra engineering, manufacture, and assembly of a "feature" we don't want :)

I wonder whether we should write Click & Clack :) It's an interesting discussion. [/B]

I had auto door locking on my ml320 and on chrysler products, and I miss them, I think they are great ideas. I do take exception with the statement about paying for features we don't want, as there are many little things in the X that I'm sure not EVERYONE would build in, say the homelink for those who have nothing to control with it for instance, or perhaps the third row of seats for others. If a feature has merit to many people, it should be on a luxury vehicle, especially one like an X. Chrysler had the right idea, the auto lock on my vehicle could be turned on or off by the dealer! Maybe that would keep all of us happy...but I do miss that feature!:27:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Personally, I hate autolocking doors. so the best of both worlds would bve to provide it with a way to turn it off and make everyone happy.

I can't see how locking the door would prevent the door from opening in the event of a crash. The lock just disables the door handle on the outside from working. Now if the door lock worked like a safe lock and put pins into the frame of the car I could see how that could stop the door from opening.

Asfar as in an accident, most cops carry center punches (the ASP baton works great too). If the accident is bad enough that you are unconscious another broken window won't make a difference you've already beaten your insurance deductible.

Only problem could be if you have anti-carjacking tint on the window, in which case those windows are a pain to get into without the better tools than most cops carry. The reason I mention cops is that they beat EMS (down here anyways) 9/10 times to the accident scene.

When my son is older I will engage the child locks...

Just my two cents....

·
Registered
62 Posts
I hate automatic door locks. I am glad they asked around and decided that most people do not want them.

·
Registered
617 Posts
driving unlocked too dangerous

I got two kids. One time while turning to enter the driveway my daughter opened the door too early. She is belted but the door swang open from centrig force and hadn't my older one grabbed her she is out the truck quick. The belt didn't help. After that, I swear I wish have autolocks.

In emergency carcrash and door locked situation, its either way you have an autolock or not. If you can remember to lock it and have an accident, the EMS will still needs to pry it open.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Have I mentioned that I hate autolocking doors? What, pray tell, is soooo difficult about reaching 6" (from the wheel or the armrest) with one finger and pressing the existing "auto door lock" in the MDX (pictured below)?

edepa said:
I had auto door locking on my ml320 and on chrysler products
Yea, I wish the Japanese manufacturers would build their cars more like Chrysler :rolleyes:

I do take exception with the statement about paying for features we don't want, as there are many little things in the X that I'm sure not EVERYONE would build in, say the homelink for those who have nothing to control with it for instance, or perhaps the third row of seats for others. If a feature has merit to many people, it should be on a luxury vehicle
Keyword = many (though I think it should be majority. And I don't think the autolocking doors have merit to either many or the majority. I'd much rather see engineering/design/production dollars spent on useful[/b] features rather than what IMO are useless frivolities that are easily managed by a conscious driver with the flip of a single switch.

cardingtr -- there are child safety locks on the rear doors that disable the interior handles; on the end of the doors themselves when open..

Here is the autolocking feature on the X:

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Auto lock

The heck with all the discussion. Does anyone know how to neatly modify the locking circuit to automatically lock when the vehicle is started or put into drive?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts