Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3 questions:

1. Can you disable auto headlights? I'm not a fan of unnecessarily turning on and off headlights. We're either parked in our garage or a parking garage at work, so every time we start the car, auto-headlights go on, then shutoff moments later, then go back on and then off when we park at work, etc. etc. This is the first car I've ever owned that seems to not have a true "Off" for Auto headlights. I'm unnecessarily turning on/off headlights 4 extra times per day.

2. I prefer Celsius to Fahrenheit for temperature readings. I found how to change from Miles to Kilos, but I can't find where to change the Climate Control and outside temp readings to Celsius. I do prefer miles to kilos as being in America, I'm MPH based, but I do prefer C over F. I've never had a car not let me adjust this.

3. Is there a way to fire up the rear camera without being in reverse? We're a tight fit in the garage and the top view is a good sanity check, but being able to get the camera going without going into R would be a nice convenience. Our past BMWs and Volvos have had a "Camera" button which immediately shows the rear camera regardless of gear you're in. I used to fire that up while still driving forward to make sure I crossed the line. It's also nice to see how close someone is behind you at a light, etc.

These are trivial things, but in my first week with this vehicle, I'm surprised at how few things are accessible and adjustable. Not being able to adjust settings while in Drive (even at a stop light) is infuriating, I can't believe they lock you out of these settings even while at a stop light. It's been a decade since I've owned a Japanese car, but I always thought of them being king of tech, but honestly speaking, American and European cars seem to have more adjustments and more finesse in their infotainment options.

·
Registered
46 Posts
As for your #1 - I don't think there is a way to "disable", but the "Vehicle Setting" does allow you to set the timer on automatic-off though.

As for your #2 - you might be able to change it in the "Hidden Menu" setting by going into the "Developer" mode.

As for your #3 - in the older models, you could do it in the "Hidden Menu" setting, but that camera setting seems to have been moved or removed. If anyone else has found a way to access it, please chime in

To activate "Hidden Menu" - press & hold "Nav, Back, Menu" buttons for 3-10 seconds. Then, if you want into the "Developer" Mode, hold "Menu" button for another 3-10 seconds.

3 questions:

1. Can you disable auto headlights? I'm not a fan of unnecessarily turning on and off headlights. We're either parked in our garage or a parking garage at work, so every time we start the car, auto-headlights go on, then shutoff moments later, then go back on and then off when we park at work, etc. etc. This is the first car I've ever owned that seems to not have a true "Off" for Auto headlights. I'm unnecessarily turning on/off headlights 4 extra times per day.

2. I prefer Celsius to Fahrenheit for temperature readings. I found how to change from Miles to Kilos, but I can't find where to change the Climate Control and outside temp readings to Celsius. I do prefer miles to kilos as being in America, I'm MPH based, but I do prefer C over F. I've never had a car not let me adjust this.

3. Is there a way to fire up the rear camera without being in reverse? We're a tight fit in the garage and the top view is a good sanity check, but being able to get the camera going without going into R would be a nice convenience. Our past BMWs and Volvos have had a "Camera" button which immediately shows the rear camera regardless of gear you're in. I used to fire that up while still driving forward to make sure I crossed the line. It's also nice to see how close someone is behind you at a light, etc.

These are trivial things, but in my first week with this vehicle, I'm surprised at how few things are accessible and adjustable. Not being able to adjust settings while in Drive (even at a stop light) is infuriating, I can't believe they lock you out of these settings even while at a stop light. It's been a decade since I've owned a Japanese car, but I always thought of them being king of tech, but honestly speaking, American and European cars seem to have more adjustments and more finesse in their infotainment options.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
and how do we get into this Developer mode ;)

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, I do see that he explained it in his original post.

Thanks guys, I'll report back!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunately none of those settings accomplished anything I wanted. I somehow updated my entire system in the process which caused my bluetooth memory to go out and I had to repair both phones. Sirius is claiming no signal, but perhaps that's just my driveway position.

It blows my mind I can't change the temperature setting to Celsius.

Finally, does anyone know the light sensitivity if Min means wait for it to be quite dark before putting the lights on or does Max mean wait the maximum amount of time before turning the lights on?

I've never been more confused by settings on a car in my life. My Audi's on screen help, graphical aides and verbiage is extremely precise.

Oh well, I'll just live with these nuances and once I get the car set up right, hopefully I'm not going in and out of the settings so often.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Yeah Acura has been doing this stupid thing of US models getting F and Canadians getting C, but with no settings change for us. Acura tech is really all show, no go. I don't think your 3rd question is possible on our vehicles (sad, since I would really like to attempt what the S4 did in Hollywood... JK). #1, I need to look into, but I think they're right about only timer shutoff only.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sorry to hear the trouble you went thru. I thought the "temperature display"
would be it. That menu used to have a "camera" setting to adjust the camera and ppl used it as a back door. So, maybe Acura got it patched. If you have any new findings, please post on here :29:

Unfortunately none of those settings accomplished anything I wanted. I somehow updated my entire system in the process which caused my bluetooth memory to go out and I had to repair both phones. Sirius is claiming no signal, but perhaps that's just my driveway position.

It blows my mind I can't change the temperature setting to Celsius.

Finally, does anyone know the light sensitivity if Min means wait for it to be quite dark before putting the lights on or does Max mean wait the maximum amount of time before turning the lights on?

I've never been more confused by settings on a car in my life. My Audi's on screen help, graphical aides and verbiage is extremely precise.

Oh well, I'll just live with these nuances and once I get the car set up right, hopefully I'm not going in and out of the settings so often.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The temperature setting just showed me something like "Temperature 0025". It was not adjustable unfortunately. I also didn't see a rear camera option. However, getting into that mode just to see a rear camera is more cumbersome than just throwing it into reverse :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts